Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Because it was the first time they'd tried to establish a democracy? Wow, what a concept.

See above comment.

Of course it is ... but you're the one complaining because we "backed" a democratically-elected leader. You do realize that this is light years ahead of marching in and dumping democratically-elected leaders as we have done for decades in Central and South America, right? Or perhaps that's what you're suggesting we should have done in Egypt? Because all that crap that we did in Central and South America worked out so well for us.

So you've written dozens of posts slamming Obama for "backing" the Muslim Brotherhood, but you're not saying we should have rejected their democracy? What DO you suggest, based on your decades of experience in foreign policy?
Boy are you off on a wild tangent there.

I answered a question.."How did Obama support them ?"
We gave them extra money and forgave debts.

US foreign policy has always been money and guns.
Obama is no different than anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
The U.S. has been a big backer of Egypt for decades and that is public knowledge. Your fantasy about Obama "backing" the Muslim Brotherhood is, well, entertaining, but factually bereft.
This is fascinating. Before Morsi's fall, no one questioned Obama's obvious support of the Muslim Brotherhood. They even had a delegation at the WH - Muslim Brotherhood delegation meets with White House officials - POLITICO.com

With the new situation in Egypt, liberal bloggers and commentators all over the Internet and MSM are suddenly pushing the line that Obama never backed the MB and that for Republicans to say so is ridiculous.

This is an obvious coordinated push to try to take the heat off Obama, especially after Ted Cruz called Obama's Egypt policies "a stunning diplomatic failure."

Old 07-06-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Providing a boost to a nation struggling to become a democracy doesn't sit well with some folks if the citizens of that nation don't elect the party some folks prefer, obviously.

Who did you want to win the Egyptian election, anyway?
Didn't care. Just like I don't care how other US states elect their governors.
I read about it, follow it and have opinions but not cheerleading either side.

We've created a real mess in the ME is the conclusion I've come to.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:46 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Like you, I was disappointed in the election results, but it's not my country and I don't get to vote there.

Looks to me like the Egyptians weren't happy with the result, either.

If America is to have influence with whatever government Egypt decides on, I think financial aid will play a big part. Of course, we could step aside and watch the Egyptians cozy up to China. But then, that would be another bad move by Obama, wouldn't it? Because everything Obama haters hate, they see in Obama.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
This is fascinating. Before Morsi's fall, no one questioned Obama's obvious support of the Muslim Brotherhood. They even had a delegation at the WH - Muslim Brotherhood delegation meets with White House officials - POLITICO.com

With the new situation in Egypt, liberal bloggers and commentators all over the Internet and MSM are suddenly pushing the line that Obama never backed the MB and that for Republicans to say so is ridiculous.

This is an obvious coordinated push to try to take the heat off Obama, especially after Ted Cruz called his Egypt "a stunning diplomatic failure."
I'm telling you, it's like watching a tennis match with all the flip-flopping going on.
This administration always has to be right, even to the point of lying.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:49 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:

That's because of his blind allegiance to Obama.
It's okay for Obama to do it, but wasn't okay with previous, Republican administrations.

Quote:

This is an obvious coordinated push to try to take the heat off Obama, especially after Ted Cruz called Obama's Egypt policies "a stunning diplomatic failure."
Sounds like it.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Like you, I was disappointed in the election results, but it's not my country and I don't get to vote there.

Looks to me like the Egyptians weren't happy with the result, either.

If America is to have influence with whatever government Egypt decides on, I think financial aid will play a big part. Of course, we could step aside and watch the Egyptians cozy up to China. But then, that would be another bad move by Obama, wouldn't it? Because everything Obama haters hate, they see in Obama.
China uses trade deals, not guns. That's a win/win for both sides.
Money flows between the 2 countries, not blood.

Notice that China is not a terrorist target ?
China doesn't care who's in charge as long as they can get their resources and not have their workers hurt. And it's working out ok for them.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:55 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
China uses trade deals, not guns. That's a win/win for both sides.
Money flows between the 2 countries, not blood.

Notice that China is not a terrorist target ?
China doesn't care who's in charge as long as they can get their resources and not have their workers hurt. And it's working out ok for them.
Ahhh, As a Conserv I guess you think we should look like, .... China?

Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:

Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
Quote:

Ah, so your continued whining about Obama "backing" scary Muslims isn't about Obama at all. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies