Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I think that is up to a mother and possibly a father to decide if they wish to raise a child with down syndrome. It is not an easy choice to abort a child, it is also not an easy choice to raise a child with down syndrome.
Too true. The vast majority of Down Syndrome kids will need support their entire lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I have two autistic children. I do not know that I will die first.

Doesn't sound like this sort of abortion is to prevent suffering for the child. It sounds more like for the prevention of suffering for the parents.
No one knows who will die first, true. Statisitically, you will, and your kids will need some care/support afterward. Same with Down's. It's the classic situation of being between a rock and a hard place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:59 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
I don't believe that anyone has the "right" to determine who should and should not live based on some arbitrary criteria. Humans just aren't that smart. It is unfortunate that there are people on earth who require a lot of extra care. If you aren't willing to take that chance, nobody is forcing you to have a child.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-06-2013, 09:02 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't believe that anyone has the "right" to determine who should and should not live based on some arbitrary criteria. Humans just aren't that smart. It is unfortunate that there are people on earth who require a lot of extra care. If you aren't willing to take that chance, nobody is forcing you to have a child.

20yrsinBranson
Actually I do think a woman had a right to choose what does and doesn't grow inside her body. And you are right, no one is forcing a woman to have a baby, that is why she has the choice of abortion if she chooses to not give birth to the fetus inside her.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
nobody is forcing you to have a child.

20yrsinBranson

Anti-abortion laws are doing exactly that.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
I wouldn't carry a Down Syndrome child to term. I grew up with a Down's child and I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to handle it. For those who can...more power to them.
I'm so glad I live in a country that doesn't have these ridiculous abortion limits.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:14 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I have two autistic children. I do not know that I will die first.

Doesn't sound like this sort of abortion is to prevent suffering for the child. It sounds more like for the prevention of suffering for the parents.
I know your pain. Well 50% of it. LOL
This abortion as you refer to it is a deeply personal choice and I don't second guess the motivation of it.
I can understand the desire to not face a life of caring for a disabled person whose disabilities can be to the extreme and expensive.
My child is a cutter. She will also elope. Her arms are testimony to every time I relaxed even for a minute.
Her mother is less attentive than I am and my daughter shows those results as well. Now her mom is out of the picture and I have to say as I get older I tire quicker and she gets smarter.
People need to really understand the storm that is coming their way.
Just a few weeks ago a family was arrested. Their neglect of a down syndrome child resulted in his death. A horrible death at that. It is a decision people need to really think about. As I said before I don't regret 1 minute of my time with my daughter, but it is as you know well an extreme challenge.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:24 AM

17,602 posts, read 17,629,777 times
And how would you feel if you found out the test was wrong and you aborted a perfectly healthy baby because of a "possible" defect? And at what point do you stop? Would you also abort a child with dwarfism? NO ONE is forcing you to get pregnant. Combine birth control pills with condoms lubricated with superoxide and the chance for pregnancy is virtually zero. It's called personal responsibility.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
I am the grandfather of a disabled child... I am grateful that my daughter made the knowing decision to keep her child. He is an absolute joy....Incidently, she is glad she made the same decision...

Old 07-06-2013, 09:33 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
And how would you feel if you found out the test was wrong and you aborted a perfectly healthy baby because of a "possible" defect? And at what point do you stop? Would you also abort a child with dwarfism? NO ONE is forcing you to get pregnant. Combine birth control pills with condoms lubricated with superoxide and the chance for pregnancy is virtually zero. It's called personal responsibility.
UGH! People are obviously talking about pregnancies that are planned, where the baby is loved and wanted. The current false positive error rate is much less than 1%, and no procedures are performed until a 2nd confirmation test is done.

Whether or not parents choose to continue a pregnancy when the baby has known genetic or congenital abnormalities is a matter between the parents and their health care team. It's no one else's business.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 AM

17,602 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
UGH! People are obviously talking about pregnancies that are planned, where the baby is loved and wanted. The current false positive error rate is much less than 1%, and no procedures are performed until a 2nd confirmation test is done.

Whether or not parents choose to continue a pregnancy when the baby has known genetic or congenital abnormalities is a matter between the parents and their health care team. It's no one else's business.
For now, federal government keeps on it's current direction and it'll be their decision since they'll be paying the healthcare cost and making kid or death decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies