Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,525,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Did you really need a study to tell you $$$ doesn't bring happiness?

THAT explains quite a bit about you.
Another unnecessary personal attack on mal, why? His point is we have all the conveniences and yet we wallow in our own self-pity. Victimology doesn't help.
Men don't tend to have the expectations that women do, that may play a part. Men are more adept at rolling with the punches. I could be wrong, but I think generally that is true.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 11:13 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,611,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Again, if you are determined to quit, you do just that, you don't attempt. There are so many bulletproof ways to quit other than guns. I know what "qualifies" for a suicide attempt these days, most of that is nothing more than craving for some sort of human attention & empathy, it never meant to kill. Why so many people (men and women) lack human attention and empathy is a very big question.
I outlined why I think so with the quote from Dr. Bob Moorehead, above.

I'm not sure if I agree with you about attempts vs success. You can take a lethal amount of pills, but given that you die much more slowly, your chances of being found and prevented from dying are better. Not everyone has the stomach to slit their wrists or hang themselves or jump off a tall building, even though they want to die. I think if more women owned guns, and gun ownership is primarily male, then we'd see more "successful" suicide by women.

Just as an aside, it goes back to the fact that guns are especially quick and lethal killing weapons. You could try to beat yourself to death with a bat, but it's just not as quick and easy as with a gun. Most gun deaths are from suicide, not homicide, something the pro-gun lobbyists choose to ignore "since people would find some other way to kill themselves." This ignores the fact that other methods, like overdoses, have a lower death rate. Having a gun in the house, increases the chance of death by suicide for those who live in the house five-fold. Another reason for fewer guns in the hands of fewer people.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So you are insinuating that suicide is rare in impoverished countries? Well you'd be wrong.

WHO | Suicide rates per 100,000 by country, year and sex (Table)

List of countries by suicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS. You are posting on an internet board too!
Your continual moderation of this thread is out of place. Stop it.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Exactly many women who bought into the feminist lie are finding themselves alone and miserable but you can't tell them anything because they independent women!
Precisely!
The gov't stepping into the role of provider has also added to the division.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet many polls show people in Sweden, Finland, and Norway to be some of the happiest. Some polls have Australia the top happiest nation. They're mostly white. The Gallup poll showed Latin American nations to be among the happiest places to live.

Happiest Nations on Earth Revealed | Happiness by Country | LiveScience

A Gallup poll released yesterday reveals that people in seven developing Latin American nations are among the most likely to report being happy and feeling positive about life. Surprisingly, those who live in robust economies like wealthy, business-oriented Singapore are among the least happy people on Earth.
I wonder if people are happier in crowded cities, or in a more rural environment. My guess would be the latter.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And WHAT exactly in your opinion IS the 'feminist lie'?
I'll take that question.
That the genders are interchangeable, they aren't. Men are men and women are women, they both have a distinct role to play, and one of those roles is procreation. That is what comes naturally. The mother is the role model for the female, and the father is the role model for a male in society. They are to pass on the wisdom they have gained to their progeny to ensure their survival and contribution forward. (Ideally)

Old 07-06-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
more female misogyny from a conservative female . What a surprise.

Arent you the one venting and complaining on employment all the time?

Please, take the negativity elsewhere. Women have enough issues to survive today, without your rabid hatred.
uh oh, and we were getting along so well dom. We'll part ways on this one. I am also a conservative female.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Actually those woman who didn't divorce didn't need to kill themselves, they were killed by their husbands.
Now we have women killing their husbands and men killing their wives - even playing field.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Statistically speaking women are far less likely to commit suicide than men. White males are the most likely to commit suicide, black females have negligible suicide rate. If you are truly suicidal you don't "attempt", you kill yourself once and for all. Unlike men (who just kill themselves), many more women "attempt" suicide, And three times more women than men attempt suicide that's just BS women use to attract attention. Why they lack desired attention is a big question.
You make a good point. Big difference between attempted and actually doing the deed. A gun is a pretty sure thing.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yeah, the article tried to say it was menopause and empty nest --- as though those are something new that women now face. I guess not so many women in the past had menopause and empty nest?

What's making women consume so many drugs is probably the same thing that's making them kill themselves, in other words, something is making more women so unhappy they want to end it all.
I believe pharmaceutical drugs are a big part of it. Alcohol is also a depressent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies