Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 01:19 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Well put. You've brought up the problem quite eloquently. Somehow, higher academia is being translated into a job requirement. This is the kind of nonsense that has brought us to a state of students in debt with little or no employability. You go to college to join academia and/or master a subject. Your intent is to further a field of study or practice in a specialized field. It is not simply to go out and get a job. That's what vocational schools and apprenticeships (more popular in Europe) are for. Somehow, people think that a bachelors degree gets you a skillset.
There are other intangibles that a college education provides. If you graduate with some science and math literacy, skills in critical thinking, and becoming a more tolerant and open-minded person, that also has benefits for society.

I'm all for increasing community college training programs also, and trying to make them specific to what employer's needs are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So only those that can afford to go to college should go?
Once again, I didnt say that at all. Hell, government alrady funds higher education for those who cant afford to go. The fact that so many individuals feel the need to go and saddle themself with debt going to ivy league colleges is a sad state of this nation.
Quote:
So you are against the poor trying to better themselves if they can't afford college?
Once again, you have to lie about what others believe, and then wonder why you cant have a civil conversation with others.
Quote:
Also, flaw in your argument, this program would allow people to afford college because they would pay for it through the career they achieve with their degree.
There is no flaw in my argument, I actually said it sounds like a good idea in theory.. I asked whats to stop the schools from jacking up their prices or enticing students through non educational means to go to their school since the student will no longer be obligated for the expenses incurred.
Quote:
I applaud Oregon for this bold move and I hope more states take notice.
Of course you do.. You havent met a government program you havent loved.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Skills that are in demand. Financial skills, computer/IT skills, translation skills, customer service skills, branding skills, etc.... these do not require study in academia to do the job. They just require some sort of training.
Actually a number of those skills do require some form of academia, and is reflected by the college demands of the employers.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
what happens if you leave oregon after you graduate? i dont think for example minnesota is going to recognize an oregon tax.
I think the 3 % would still be paid forward to Oregon.

It's not a tax, it's paying forward for your tuition. You're not escaping paying tuition, this plan just makes it slightly more tied to your income, and what's wrong with that? No one is penalized. The person paying 3 % of $200,000 a year, is still going to be a high income earner, and the person paying 3 % of $40,000 a year will still be a middle-class income earner.

This way though, some really brilliant students might be more willing to go into non-profit work or teaching, because their student loan debt won't be such a enormous factor in what kind of job they seek.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Once again, I didnt say that at all. Hell, government alrady funds higher education for those who cant afford to go. The fact that so many individuals feel the need to go and saddle themself with debt going to ivy league colleges is a sad state of this nation.

Once again, you have to lie about what others believe, and then wonder why you cant have a civil conversation with others.

There is no flaw in my argument, I actually said it sounds like a good idea in theory.. I asked whats to stop the schools from jacking up their prices or enticing students through non educational means to go to their school since the student will no longer be obligated for the expenses incurred.

The government is not necessarily paying any more or any less with this program. Who knows,with enough high income earners, the schools might come out ahead! It's win win for everyone.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:

Public colleges belong to the state of Oregon, the cost of college would be regulated through the state, the percentage wouldn't change for those paying it forward. Also, paying it forward eliminates the need for debt upfront.

So your argument is still flawed, you just can't see it.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
So only those that can afford to go to college should go? So you are against the poor trying to better themselves if they can't afford college? Also, flaw in your argument, this program would allow people to afford college because they would pay for it through the career they achieve with their degree.

I applaud Oregon for this bold move and I hope more states take notice.
And obviously some conservatives just can't stand this idea.

But, but, but then we can't blame poor people for being good-for-nothings who "make bad choices" and do nothing to better themselves......

Old 07-07-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
The school has no incentive to have the students contribute more to the fund..
Yes they do. They will want to provide the highest-quality education they can so that their graduates will do as well as possible in their chosen fields.

And the students have an incentive to contribute more to the fund, because no one is going to seek a lower income just so their 3 % is less than a high income earner--most people seek to maximize their pay no matter what field they are in!

Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The government is not necessarily paying any more or any less with this program.
Government subsidies ALWAYS increase the cost of programs

Even Biden admitted it. Biden Admits Government Subsidies Have Increased College Tuition | RealClearPolitics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Who knows,with enough high income earners, the schools might come out ahead! It's win win for everyone.
The school gets paid up front, not over 25 years.. The "high income earners" would result in the state getting the money, not the school.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Public colleges belong to the state of Oregon, the cost of college would be regulated through the state, the percentage wouldn't change for those paying it forward. Also, paying it forward eliminates the need for debt upfront.

So your argument is still flawed, you just can't see it.
The cost would be regulated?

Hows that regulation working out for you?
Cost of College Degree in U.S. Soars 12 Fold: Chart of the Day - Bloomberg

What the hell stops the growth in the cost under this program? Simply changing how its paid for, doesnt stop the need to pay for it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies