Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
What an awesome idea!!

I'm amazed at the number of developed countries that have figured out ways to make college tuition either free or low, and that the U.S. has gone in the other direction.

All it takes is money.
Where is that money going to come from..... Higher and higher taxes, along with fees for the privilege to have your god given rights, back.

Pay it forward. You pay taxes to put someone else through school.....
Defined as, redistributing the wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Pay it forward. You pay taxes to put someone else through school.....
Exactly, there isnt a dam thing about this thats "pay it forward", and the worse part about it is the very individuals who claim to be so educated and smart because they have degrees and $50K+ in debt, are the very ones who couldnt see that...

What are we doing, sending kids to college to get stupid?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
What an awesome idea!!

I'm amazed at the number of developed countries that have figured out ways to make college tuition either free or low, and that the U.S. has gone in the other direction.
Nothing is "free" ellemint. Someone has to pay for that college education.

They are moving the burden of repayment from the student to the taxpayer.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:33 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Just as I figured. When proven I was right, you'd continue to act like a 5 year old, rather than just admit it..
You haven't proven anything because the test program hasn't even started. All you have done is guessed the outcome. Get back to me in 2019 and we will see if you are right.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You haven't proven anything because the test program hasn't even started. All you have done is guessed the outcome. Get back to me in 2019 and we will see if you are right.
Your own data showed that the 3% figure isnt enough. Stop being ignorant and use that degree of yours. I hate to see $54K go to waste

Old 07-09-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree. When it has to come out of your pocket then schools will change and lower their costs.
It would be either that or start laying off teachers and going out of business.

You don't need the fed to end loans to accomplish that though.
It just takes people not applying for these loans and only taking classes they can afford each semester.
Might as well shut down all the public colleges and let it be only private with that kind of thinking. Public college is designed to provide education to the public. Though I do support states taking a larger control over their own colleges and tuitions, but in doing that would make it much harder for one to do out of state college.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Exactly, there isnt a dam thing about this thats "pay it forward", and the worse part about it is the very individuals who claim to be so educated and smart because they have degrees and $50K+ in debt, are the very ones who couldnt see that...

What are we doing, sending kids to college to get stupid?
You don't know what pay it forward means, do you? Not all of us have a trust fund to live off of, some of us have to work for a living.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nothing is "free" ellemint. Someone has to pay for that college education.

They are moving the burden of repayment from the student to the taxpayer.
By doing that will allow an even larger percentage of the tax payers to get 2yr and 4yr degrees.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You don't know what pay it forward means, do you? Not all of us have a trust fund to live off of, some of us have to work for a living.
Oh my god, give it a rest with the stupidity. I know exactly what pay it forward means.. If you are paying back debt, at 3%, and you need 5% to just break even.. You arent paying forward a dam thing..

Did you spend $54K on that college education and you still dont know that 5% - 3% = a 2% deficit, not surplus?

YOU QUOTED the dam figure.. and your non stop repeating of the trust fund crap is rather childish. I've never met an orphan who had trust funds, maybe you can point them out to me..

Just man up and admit I was right when I questioned the 3% as not being enough.. I'd have far more respect for you.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Your own data showed that the 3% figure isnt enough. Stop being ignorant and use that degree of yours. I hate to see $54K go to waste
The data doesn't show that because the pilot hasn't been completed yet. There is a chance it could be raised to 5% and it could require a second source from the state, which could be as simple as reshuffling the budget to make room for the program. I will let you know in 2019 how it has worked out, I am sure you are very interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies