Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 PM

46,278 posts, read 27,093,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Awwww. LOL!

Is that why corporations are so kind? So loving? So concerned with humanity? Why they so avoid creating damage to humans and the environment. Yeah, that must be why! I'm sooo impressed I can barely stand it. The humanity of corporations!!!!
But that is not what you said, now is it.

BTW you should read up about ISO 14000....you maybe surprised...

But that would mean you have to read and actually understand what you are reading....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM

46,278 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your arrogance is unparalleled here. You spew things without any examples. You claim that profit causes immorality and it is absolute. You seem to think that it is impossible for a corporation to operate without stealing from us, polluting our air and water, exploiting all of its employees, or otherwise being evil in every way.

You haven't offered any examples of this widespread evil behavior. And you also haven't said what would work better (unless I missed it). Do you want an economy like Cuba? What do YOU think should be done?

Is your objection profit? If someone has a small business, run for profit, does that mean their pursuit of profit will inevitably result in evil?

Do you work for free?
She is a staunch leftist, she reads directly from the leftist hand book and will not waiver from the hand book, even when proven wrong.

She will never answer questions, NEVER....

She talks about morals.....

Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
But that is not what you said, now is it.

BTW you should read up about ISO 14000....you maybe surprised...

But that would mean you have to read and actually understand what you are reading....
I read all I needed to read about ISO 14000:

"ISO (International Organization for Standardization) is the world’s largest developer of voluntary International Standards."

I think it's hillarious that this is all voluntary. AS IF. As if voluntary things made a difference in the for-profit world.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:58 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
That's so pretty. Really. lol

In a country that is designed to be based upon for-profit machinery that sucks the soul out of everything, YOU are telling me that it's possible to change the minds of those lovely, delightful, oh-so-caring corporations. OMG.
you have serious reading comprehension problems. I say one thing, and you apparently hear another thing. jesus. I guess when you are destroyed, you just make up your own response that makes absolutely no sense.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:00 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
they said it, not us.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:57 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I know a few Republican union members who trash unions left and right, when I ask them why don't they take a non union job or work at a non union company they shut up real fast.
You never asked me. Although I don't believe that I trash Unions, I simply don't believe that I need a union where I work.
I don't take a Union job because the job I have pays more than the Union shops in my area and my benefits are better than theirs. Why would I want to switch to a Union plant?

Old 07-10-2013, 02:56 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You never asked me. Although I don't believe that I trash Unions, I simply don't believe that I need a union where I work.
I don't take a Union job because the job I have pays more than the Union shops in my area and my benefits are better than theirs. Why would I want to switch to a Union plant?
I find it amazing how you guys always come up with the perfect scenarios.

All those Union shops, and yet your NON union shop is so much better in EVERY facet...pay AND benefits.

Even if that were true (and I highly doubt it), the presence of the other unionized shops is the reason for those great bennies you have. Your company would only be doing it to keep the union out. So even then, you're still benefiting from the unions.

But of course, you think your company is giving you those great bennies because they love you.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:10 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Ha, you're so wrong it's pitiful. Whether a higher paid worker is unionized or not, that extra money has to go somewhere and much of it will go to local businesses, insuring them profibility and ability to keep paying their workers and possibly hire more. These are facts you can't discount or try to run away from.

You have such a fundamental misunderstanding about economics, that I don't even know where to begin.

You are pretending as if higher wages means prosperity. What you fail to realize is that nominal wages has absolutely nothing to do with prosperity. Whether you get paid $5 an hour, $10 an hour or $50 an hour, only matters if it is relation to something else.

For instance, if the price of bread is $1 and you earn $5 an hour. Then for every hour of work, you can buy five loaves of bread. If bread is $2 and you earn $10, then you still earn the same number of loaves of bread per hour, regardless of the doubling of your pay.

When we talk about unions, a lot of times people discuss wages. That unions help to raise wages. But what are wages? What is money anyway?

Money is nothing within itself. What money really is, is a carrier of time. Basically, it is a way of carrying the value of my time in exchange for someone else's time. Basically, I can trade an hour of my work for an hour of someone else's work. Or I can exchange an hour of my work for 10 minutes of work from six different people(and so on and so forth).

The value of what I can purchase with my money is going to be in proportion to the value of other peoples time.

Look at it like this. Lets pretend we doubled everyone's wages tomorrow. Does that mean everyone will be twice as rich as they were before? No, the reality is that, at best, nothing would change. And at worst, it could put a lot of people out of work, because the costs of producing goods could rise so high to no longer make them competitive.

Imagine it like this. If you had five people producing different kinds of goods. They can only produce a given amount of goods. The wages themselves are only important because wages allow them to trade with each other. Whether or not they were getting paid $1 an hour, $5 an hour, or $500 an hour, doesn't really matter by itself. It only matters in relation to the other wages.

In this relationship, you might hope that all five people are paid equal wages in relation to the amount of time each of them invest in their product. But since each product is different, and requires different skills, its unlikely that each of them will get paid exactly the same amount as everyone else.

But lets say for instance, one of them makes clothing, one produces corn, one produces wheat, one produces lumber, and one has cattle.

Well, lets pretend that one year, the corn farmer produces 500 bushels of corn. The wheat farmer produces 300 bushels of wheat. The clothing manufacturer produces enough clothes for all five men to have four new sets of clothes each. The lumber producer makes the equivalent of 1,000 2x4's pieces of wood, and the cattle-man produces 2,000 pounds of beef.

How much should a bushel of corn cost? How about a bushel of wheat? How much for a pound of beef? A set of clothes? How much for the lumber? What if the following year the corn farmer produces more corn than the previous year? Or what if he produces less?

Lets pretend that instead of five people, these are five industries, employing hundreds of people each. And lets pretend that the clothing manufacturer unionizes, and now their wages are twice as high as they were before, but now the cost of clothing doubles from where it was before. Are the union workers better off than they were before? Yes. Are the non-union workers better off than they were before? No, they are worse off.

The reason is that, by the clothing manufacturers unionizing and raising their wages up. They now have more buying power. But there aren't more goods to actually buy. So while the union workers can now buy a larger share of all the goods that are produced by everyone in society. The people who aren't unionized end up getting a smaller share of the goods that are produced.

The only way unions can both increase their own wages without taking away the buying power of others. Is if their increased wages came as a result of increased productivity. Basically, if they doubled their wages and productivity at the same time, they wouldn't necessarily make anyone worse off. Because the availability of goods would go up relative to their increased wages, and would equal out.

The problem of course is that, unions aren't more productive because they are unions. In fact, unions tend to be less productive than private enterprise in the same field. Thus, unions not only hurt non-union workers because their inflated wages strip away buying power from non-union workers. But also, their lower productivity lowers the availability of goods, which also drives up the cost of goods.

And even worse. Unions tend to be less competitive, but politically powerful. So in order to stay competitive, they constantly lobby the government for special protections and subsidies. These subsidies are taxes, paid for by everyone, that go to protect union jobs and their artificially high wages. And thus, not only are low-skilled workers hurt by the reduction of buying power by the artificially high wages of unions. But low-skilled workers also have to pay taxes to subsidize unions to keep them competitive in the world market.

Even more, unions protect large corporations and hurt small-businesses. Since unions can really only exist in large businesses. And because unions always seek to protect their members jobs. Unions lobby the government for protections for large businesses, and not for small businesses. Many large corporations are able to get tax-exempt status in cities, supposedly because they are "creating jobs for the local economy". While small-businesses aren't seen as job creators and thus don't get the competitive advantage of being tax-exempt.

Sometimes if a corporation wants to relocate to a city, the city or state will actually spend millions or billions building the manufacturing plant for them. Or will give them special licenses that they don't give to anyone else. The unions are effectively the protector of big-business. Because it is a mutually beneficial relationship. Unions can't exist without big business and the government.

The simple reality is that, unions hurt low-skilled and unskilled labor. They guarantee themselves a larger piece of the pie, and everyone else a smaller piece of the pie. To believe otherwise is completely delusional.

I understand what you are trying to argue, but you refuse to look at the bigger picture.

It is certainly true that if Stillwater could have a business that sold to other cities/states/countries, and then it doubled its prices(lets leave wages out of this for a second). Then twice as much money would flow into Stillwater than before. But, what does it really mean? Lets pretend that the additional money came from Oklahoma City. That would simply mean that Stillwater ends up better off, and Oklahoma City ends up worse off. It doesn't actually mean that society in general is better off.

It would be no different than if they taxed the people in Oklahoma City and gave it to the Stillwater. Its just a transfer of wealth. It doesn't mean that any more goods and services are available to purchase. Its just a manipulation of the markets.

For instance, if I was in Tulsa or Stillwater, I would absolutely despise Oklahoma City. To a large extent, the economy of Oklahoma City is protected by all the tax money spent here. Stillwater gets a lot of tax money spent there because it is mostly a college town, heavily subsidized by the government. Tulsa on the other hand, it doesn't even have a military base like Tinker. It doesn't have any major colleges. It gets kind of screwed when it comes to tax revenues.

I think part of the problem in many of these small cities. Is that, taxes eat away so much at their economies, that they have to constantly find ways to bring in money. I'm convinced a large proportion of the money brought into the local economies of many small towns, comes from retired people, spending their social security there. Its difficult for small cities to exist, unless they are driven by natural resources or military bases/prisons etc. Because more tax money goes out than comes back in. The government has far too much power over the economy.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 07-10-2013 at 03:20 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 05:22 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

All those Union shops, and yet your NON union shop is so much better in EVERY facet...pay AND benefits.

Even if that were true (and I highly doubt it), the presence of the other unionized shops is the reason for those great bennies you have. Your company would only be doing it to keep the union out. So even then, you're still benefiting from the unions.

But of course, you think your company is giving you those great bennies because they love you.
Non-union workers benefit from unions? LOLS. What are you smoking.

Here's an article laying out how unions systematically keep blacks out of their workforce. Just one example of how unions purposely hurt non-union workers.

If unions helped non-union workers why do they intimidate and even commit violence against strike-busters? Those are people that just wanna work. If unions were concerned about all workers like they claim they would not deny labor to the strike-buster. period.

Racists.

Union Racial Discrimination is Alive and Well [Mackinac Center]

Old 07-10-2013, 06:00 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

P&G has a very long history of taking care of their employees. Every year for cost of living increase they compare ours to local factories. They make sure that we are top tier to keep us. The top 3 also happen to be non-union shops.
Our equipment is state of the art unlike the paper mill down river from us.
Once again why would I want to work there when I have it better where I am at?
What does the union offer us? Three times they tried to get in and 3 times they failed. They admit that they can't get us more than we already have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies