Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the Nordic/Swedish labor system?
Yes 46 63.01%
No 27 36.99%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 07:46 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,728,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
You can't have leftists and their clients gaming the system for all that to be possible.
And what does this post mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,993,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
And what does this post mean?
It means that the welfare state will be peaches if conservatives are the only ones participating .

Old 07-11-2013, 09:04 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
If the United States brought the Nordic labor system in America.... Would you be for or against it?

Some employee and other benefits in Sweden;

* 18 months paid maternity leave (Usually shared between both parents)
* ~ $160/month for every child until age of 16 or until completing high school
* Free dental and health care until age of 18 (or very small payment for adults)
* Free college education (Small payment for books)
* Great unemployment and retirement benefits
* 5 weeks of paid vacation annually for all workers + lots of paid sick days & holidays
* Free school and school lunch for all students
* Elderly care (Retirement homes and home care)
* Most workers belongs to Union

Social security benefits in Sweden;

* Bostadsbidrag - Housing allowances for anyone who cannot afford housing.
* Sjukpenning - Benefits if you are ill or disabled and cannot work.
* Ã…lderspension - Benefits for those who have retired.
* Försörjningsstöd - Benefits for anyone, including children who cannot get reasonable standard of living.

Unemployment rate:

Norway 3.7% -- Sweden 8.4% -- Finland 8.1% -- Denmark 7%
They are not greedy. They do not need mansions and luxury automobiles to placate their insecurities.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,347 times
Quote:
If the United States brought the Nordic labor system in America.... Would you be for or against it?

* Free dental and health care until age of 18 (or very small payment for adults)
* 5 weeks of paid vacation annually for all workers + lots of paid sick days & holidays

* Försörjningsstöd - Benefits for anyone, including children who cannot get reasonable standard of living.

Unemployment rate:

I actually find the Nordic system to be pretty interesting and I think it fosters a good family environment, but I don't think that our society is healthy enough to implement something like this. I also don't like the idea of a 50% effective tax rate. A friend from high-school married a Norwegian man and they live there with their children. He wants to move to the U.S. so that he can keep some of the money he makes and he believes that abuse of the system is widespread. There are shortcomings in the Nordic model and counterpoints to it. I'm no expert in this matter and I'm relating my opinion that is based on conversations with one man who is probably pretty conservative by Northwestern European standards, but don't make the mistake that this would be painless or "obviously so much better" than what we already have.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Small businesses flourish in the EU. Have you ever been there? I've seen more small businesses in a town of 24,000 people than I did in Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster, PA. Travel broadens the mind
My father teaches courses around the world. He asked his european class "who here would want to open their own business?" not one raised their hands.

If they are ok with their standard of living then its fine.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 AM

19,111 posts, read 25,299,982 times
Quote:
Income tax vary by income in Sweden too. Low-skilled people may least.

Could you repeat that in English?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:54 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,482,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
They are not greedy. They do not need mansions and luxury automobiles to placate their insecurities.
Someone who makes more money than you is not insecure.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:46 AM

28 posts, read 29,495 times
A friend of mine works at H & M retail in Sweden, and she makes 24 000 SEK ($3590) a month after taxes + 5 weeks paid vacation. She works only 35 hours a week. Nobody ever gets that anywhere in America!

Low-skilled workers still make lots of money in Sweden, and rents are quite affordable unless you live in the most expensive neighborhoods in Stockholm. She lives right outside of Stockholm city, and has 3 bedroom apartment for only $800/month.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:53 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:

Unemployment rate:

I'd be AGAINST it. Some citizens have to pay for that ample safety net. With child-bearing couples taking 18-month vacations every time they have a child, it would most likely be the responsibility of single workers with no kids. I also heard from a Swedish couple that the safety net even applies to muslim immigrants who have taken over the center cities. I'd be open to a more reasonable work system, but not the ones that you proposed.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:25 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Most professional and corporate positions start at 4 weeks plus holidays. NY and CA do have high taxes, but they have welfare states. The rest of America expects you to work. It's not just the top rate that I am talking about though; I am also talking about the tax brackets. Norway, for example has a higher tax rate that you reach much faster than the USA. How do you think that would boil over in the USA? I mean, alot of people don't even pay a dime in federal taxes. IMO, they would riot if you told them they would have to pay taxes.

If I knew I was going to be poor I would definitely choose to be poor in Norway/Finland/Sweden/etc though. No need for $30K private schools over there. Then again, their corporate tax rate is a flat 28% which is much better than our 35-40% rate, so it could be worthwhile for even a wealthy person to live there.

1. Income Tax.

Income tax is charged at a flat rate of 28% on net income.

A 9% surtax is charged on gross income if you earn between the equivalent of $73,641 - $119,662 USD, while a 12% surtax (on gross income) is charged if you earn anything over that.

In addition, taxpayers must make social security contributions based on whatever they make over $6,612 USD. 7.8% of any salary made over this amount goes towards social security contributions. Pension income is charged at a lower 3.0% rate.

2. Value Added Tax.

A Value Added Tax (or VAT) is charged on the sale of most goods and services in the country.

The general rate is 25%. A reduced rate of 14% applies to the sale of food and drink, while an even lower rate applies to hotel lodging, cinema shows, public transportation services and broadcasting charges.

The 14% rate does not apply to eating out at a restaurant. So, if you decide to take the family out for a dinner that ends up costing the equivalent of $100 USD, be prepared to pay an extra $25 in taxes (before the tip, of course).

3. Wealth Tax / Net Asset Tax.

Norwegians must pay an annual "wealth tax" on their net "worldwide assets".

There is an exemption (up to the equivalent of $78,483 USD), with any amount over that being subjected to a 1.1% "wealth tax".

In order to figure out how much you would pay, take the total worth of your assets (house, cash in the bank, etc) and subtract any liabilities (mortgage, etc).

As mentioned, there is an exemption up to 470,000 NOK (which works out to $78,483 USD) - any amount over that, and you are paying a 1.1% wealth tax.

As far as I am aware, this includes houses, cash in the bank, etc.

http://www.kpmg.no/arch/_img/9484126.pdf

Comparing Tax Rates in the U.S. and Norway | Inc.com

Most professional and corporate positions start at 4 weeks plus holidays. NY and CA do have high taxes, but they have welfare states. The rest of America expects you to work. It's not just the top rate that I am talking about though; I am also talking about the tax brackets. Norway, for example has a higher tax rate that you reach much faster than the USA. How do you think that would boil over in the USA? I mean, alot of people don't even pay a dime in federal taxes. IMO, they would riot if you told them they would have to pay taxes.

That is NOT the norm for most working Americans. Most are the standard two weeks plus holidays, or maybe some extra days designated as PTO to be used in lieu of "sick time"- which used to be the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies