Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:24 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,076,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But you'd spend the rest of your life under sex offender rules - you wouldn't even be allowed to attend your kids high school graduations. I do not think I would be able to do it.
It depends on your state and what you plea to. My loved one CAN attend his children's graduation. There are no laws in his state against it, and his stipulations were "no UNSUPERVISED contact with females under 18".
Remember too, that if you gamble and loose,and odds are you will, you'd still be labeled a sex offender, AND lose all those years being stuck in prison etc.

Last edited by faeryedark; 07-15-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 12:35 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,069,915 times
So if the story is right, then it sounds like corruption in the legal system where the dad had legal connections.

That's an issue, but normally a sex-offender has zero chance of getting sole custody, so I don't see the problem. Its disgusting that cases like this are used to removing good dads right to custody for his own children.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:11 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Thanks for posting that list of data that proves sex offenders DO re-offend. Especially since it comes from a woman, blog address Iloveasexoffender@blogpot, whose entire life is devoted to proving that sexual offenses aren't so bad.
Of course some of them reoffend, just not at an exceptionally high rate as is claimed by the ignorant and fanatical.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Of course some of them reoffend, just not at an exceptionally high rate as is claimed by the ignorant and fanatical.
I didn't make that claim. You, however, seem to believe that there are no statistics anywhere showing that they do re-offend.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:52 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I didn't make that claim. You, however, seem to believe that there are no statistics anywhere showing that they do re-offend.
Having written my undergraduate thesis on Megan's Law, I would never make such an absurd claim.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
"sex offenders" as a whole group, and there are over 200 "offenses" that can get a person labeled, have a recidivism rate of 3-5% according to the DOJ. That's actually committing another sex crime, and not getting picked up for something like a parole violation which is sometimes thrown into recidivism rates.
Pedophiles, which as stated elsewhere, have been diagnosed by a qualified professional, have a much higher rate of recidivism.
The problem is, the general public doesn't understand the difference, and they don't realize how broad the "sex offender" label is, or how easy it is to obtain.
There's a whole thread going on on CD about public urination, and being put on the registry

Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
"sex offenders" as a whole group, and there are over 200 "offenses" that can get a person labeled, have a recidivism rate of 3-5% according to the DOJ. That's actually committing another sex crime, and not getting picked up for something like a parole violation which is sometimes thrown into recidivism rates.
Pedophiles, which as stated elsewhere, have been diagnosed by a qualified professional, have a much higher rate of recidivism.
The problem is, the general public doesn't understand the difference, and they don't realize how broad the "sex offender" label is, or how easy it is to obtain.
There's a whole thread going on on CD about public urination, and being put on the registry
Oh for cripes sake. Like you don't know exactly what we mean when we're talking about sexual offenses/molestation? Are you really that obtuse? You really think that this thread, you know this thread that has to do with a FATHER assaulting his DAUGHTER, is even remotely similar to say an 18 year old guy dating a 16 year old & they have sex or a dude urinating in public? Give me a break, really.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Oh for cripes sake. Like you don't know exactly what we mean when we're talking about sexual offenses/molestation? Are you really that obtuse? You really think that this thread, you know this thread that has to do with a FATHER assaulting his DAUGHTER, is even remotely similar to say an 18 year old guy dating a 16 year old & they have sex or a dude urinating in public? Give me a break, really.
Oh for crying out loud! do YOU REALLY think that the general public will bother to differentiate between them when they see "sex offender" beside someone's name? Are you really that naive? Politicians broaden these laws because it's good for their bottom line and the sheeple vote for them because they buy into the sex offender hysteria, instead of bothering to educate themselves.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:28 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Oh for crying out loud! do YOU REALLY think that the general public will bother to differentiate between them when they see "sex offender" beside someone's name? Are you really that naive? Politicians broaden these laws because it's good for their bottom line and the sheeple vote for them because they buy into the sex offender hysteria, instead of bothering to educate themselves.
You are deliberately being obtuse. Amazing. I'm talking about this thread sweetie. And the disgusting crap I've been reading from some on here. Condoning child molesters.......that really is the living end. If I had the same views as some on here, I'd crawl under a rock because that's where people who have those views belong.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
You are deliberately being obtuse. Amazing. I'm talking about this thread sweetie. And the disgusting crap I've been reading from some on here. Condoning child molesters.......that really is the living end. If I had the same views as some on here, I'd crawl under a rock because that's where people who have those views belong.
No Sweetheart, I'm not being "obtuse' I'm just answering kind "luv" and not everyone reading this thread will bother to distinguish between the different kinds of "sex offenders" or even know that that there are differences. You and I are not the only ones reading these threads you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies