Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,732,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If the Senate had passed Immigration reform I might ask the same. As it was they passed a huge pork bill that few actually knows what it contains.

We have been there. Voting against Obamacare was supposed to be a loser also.
You can ignore reality, but that doesn't change reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:30 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,267,980 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by gunlover

Its not a long term gain, its nothing more then
importing Marxist voters.
ROTFLMAO!! Okaaaay.......

Old 07-10-2013, 06:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,940,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
You can ignore reality, but that doesn't change reality.
I'm not sure what I ignored.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,713,540 times
Quote:
I make no bones about it, I'm a Democrat. That said I also enjoy politics and political strategy and most of the time the GOP plays smart politics and plays to their strengths. What I can't figure out right now is why the GOP is handing the Democrats a huge gift by threatening to derail immigration reform. Doing comprehensive immigration reform like the Senate has done will actually be a short term boost for the Democrats, but a long term win for Republicans. Taking the immigration issue out of the debate is a big win for Republicans. If Republicans derail and block immigration reform they will give Democrats a weapon to keep using against them in the coming election cycles. What do yall think about the politics of immigration reform?
I'm sure this sounds reasonable to you based on what you have heard from the NYT, WSJ, CNN, etc. But there is a huge disconnect beween mainstream media analysis and reality on this issue. In the real world most people think there is already too much immigration. They want less not more. And few actually believe that making currently illegal residents into voting citizens will help the Republican Party.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I'm sure this sounds reasonable to you based on what you have heard from the NYT, WSJ, CNN, etc. But there is a huge disconnect beween mainstream media analysis and reality on this issue. In the real world most people think there is already too much immigration. They want less not more. And few actually believe that making currently illegal residents into voting citizens will help the Republican Party.
This isn't media organizations saying this. This is the view of Republican leadership.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:11 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,713,540 times
Quote:
This isn't media organizations saying this. This is the view of Republican leadership.
It's both. Virtually all elite opinion is behind amnesty and continued mass immigration. It's amazing to see. Has there ever been an issue where the interests of the elite and ordinary people were so divided?

Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,910,049 times
Quote:
I make no bones about it, I'm a Democrat. That said I also enjoy politics and political strategy and most of the time the GOP plays smart politics and plays to their strengths. What I can't figure out right now is why the GOP is handing the Democrats a huge gift by threatening to derail immigration reform. Doing comprehensive immigration reform like the Senate has done will actually be a short term boost for the Democrats, but a long term win for Republicans. Taking the immigration issue out of the debate is a big win for Republicans. If Republicans derail and block immigration reform they will give Democrats a weapon to keep using against them in the coming election cycles. What do yall think about the politics of immigration reform?
You are correct, but the GOP for the last decade has been awesome at cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It's both. Virtually all elite opinion is behind amnesty and continued mass immigration. It's amazing to see. Has there ever been an issue where the interests of the elite and ordinary people were so divided?
I'm not really sure what you are talking about. Republican leadership seems to grasp the politics and positive outcomes of immigration reform and so do actual Republican voters. It seems like the only people who are out of the mainstream are House Republican conservative/tea party members.

Immigration Reform Proposals Garner Broad Support in U.S.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,940,599 times
Quote:
They love pork. Of course they want it passed.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They love pork. Of course they want it passed.
So you're saying that the Senate bill doesn't address immigration reform? That's a counter reality point of view, but you certainly have the right to believe anything you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies