Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You don't even have to be the father to pay child support. Many times men have been forced to pay child support when their wife got pregnant by another man. All that matter is what is in the best interest of the child, even if they are not yours.
And if none of the possible fathers pay, the taxpayers get their incomes confiscated to support not only the children but the women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We're not all like that, but I think a lot of men are attracted to the spoiled divas even if they claim they aren't. Maybe it's because they need something to complain about.
Maybe some men are attracted to spoiled, narcissitic women but I'm not one of them.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:24 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And if none of the possible fathers pay, the taxpayers get their incomes confiscated to support not only the children but the women.
Their is only 1 father, not multiple.

Another case made national news recently. A lesbian couple wanted to become pregnant. A man donated sperm to the cause. Ultimately the lesbian couple ended up on welfare for whatever reason. The state ruled that the sperm donor had to pay child support.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Their is only 1 father, not multiple.

Another case made national news recently. A lesbian couple wanted to become pregnant. A man donated sperm to the cause. Ultimately the lesbian couple ended up on welfare for whatever reason. The state ruled that the sperm donor had to pay child support.
That's the sort of insanity that goes on in this world on a regular basis.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:05 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
I proposed to my husband in 1974. I NEVER expected him to actually say Yes. It was almost a joke on my part as a "modern, liberated woman".

Do you know how many times over almost 40 years I wished I had kept my mouth shut?

Old 07-11-2013, 12:07 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I proposed to my husband in 1974. I NEVER expected him to actually say Yes. It was almost a joke on my part as a "modern, liberated woman".

Do you know how many times over almost 40 years I wished I had kept my mouth shut?
An old timer friend of mine is asked how long he has been married he answers "35 years, if I had killed someone I would have been out by now"

Old 07-11-2013, 01:07 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Not disputing the bolded, but you've piqued my curiosity.

Are you referring to the achievement gaps between the different ethnic groups and that it is not as wide in the military as in the general society?

I've noticed differences in socializing among military families & towns based on my own personal experience but I'd be interested if you know of any sources that have data crunched the numbers.
I don't want to hijack the thread but among the children of military members there is a significantly smaller achievement gap between races than in other public school systems. There have been many studies done on this and generally the conclusion is that it boils down to home environment and the tendency of the military culture to play a more significant role in the families' lives than racial culture.

It is the reason my husband stayed beyond his initial obligation despite the fact that he could have made more money as a civilian lawyer. We felt raising our children in that culture was a safer place for our black sons, to be frank. Part of it, by the way, is that the traditional roles of fathers and husbands, such as seen in the 50's and 60's, is still promoted and encouraged in that culture, instead of distained or dismissed, like it often appears to be in general society.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:11 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
It seems like every couple of years there is some popular article about this topic. Yet there are still plenty of people getting married and having kids. It seems like an idea generated by the media rather than reality. I do think people are getting married later in life though, probably due to economic factors.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:37 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

i'm with ya...lol...wished i had boycotted marriage, all three time!

Old 07-11-2013, 06:01 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Men won't get married because they know if things don't work out they will be crucified in divorce court no matter the circumstances. And the ex will move to Oregon and you only see Little Johnny once a week in the summer. And there aint a thing you can do about it.

That's why smart men don't get married anymore. At least till they're 35 or so.
Divorce courts are full of heathens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies