Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 AM

742 posts, read 676,434 times

Advertisements

I don't like Wal Mart of what they do to employees, honest companies, even their disgusting treatent of animals in the pet dept,....
To play Devil's Advocate, because of what I observed locally,

The WalMart near me was kicked out locally but later asked to come back, because of the low job market. In many places Wal Mart is the only option for people. Even though it seems not to help much, but can states supply even more welfare to jobless people? Fact is Wal Mart put many local stores and companies out of business. The small amount of local stores left, only hire family and friends because there's no option, who else would be first in line? Also, many places don't have much of a cheap food store option, Wal Mart does offer that. In such a bad economy where else can people turn but a shady company? Living wage is too vague and can be hurtful, that is since wages vs prices of areas differ. In Seattle, you rent a 1,000 a month home, but you also make $30. bucks an hour. I'm agreeing they cannot afford O-Care or the living wage, because prices will go higher, even more people will be fired or brought to temp or part time jobs.

Consequences of an already destroyed market overrun by big corporate stores and businesses. If that can be reversed, jobs brought back to America promoting more work, less greedy companies... then there will be no need for these types of low quality chain stores selling junk that are the only employers. Until then it's a lose lose situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,152,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I really don't blame Wal Mart: $12.50 an hour for part time workers (which many of WaMart workers are) would make it very hard for many companies to show a profit. WalMart stores are primarily designed as discount shopping, thus much of their pricing is designed to attract people who can not afford to shop anywhere else. On the other hand I understand DC and wanting to increase min wage. That being said, I do not think min wage and livable wage was ever meant to be the same thing. Heck, it would be hard to live in DC on $12.50 an hour.

Unless you are in management, you are not expected to be able to "live" on minimum wage. Those jobs are intended to be the first rung in the ladder to future employment.

I hope Wal-Mart pulls all the stores and sues the district for the costs they have already incurred to start construction of the stores.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:45 AM

26,220 posts, read 14,831,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That is not the reality that's why 3 mayors begged Wal-Mart to come into these areas. One location is in a decrepit shopping center without an anchor for 23 years.
I think some people haven't been on the other side of town and don't realize just how bad it truly is.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeking View Post
I don't like Wal Mart of what they do to employees, honest companies, even their disgusting treatent of animals in the pet dept,....

The WalMart near me was kicked out locally but later asked to come back, because of the low job market. In many places Wal Mart is the only option for people. Even though it seems not to help much, but can states supply even more welfare to jobless people? Fact is Wal Mart put many local stores and companies out of business. The small amount of local stores left, only hire family and friends because there's no option, who else would be first in line? Also, many places don't have much of a cheap food store option, Wal Mart does offer that. In such a bad economy where else can people turn but a shady company? Living wage is too vague and can be hurtful, that is since wages vs prices of areas differ. In Seattle, you rent a 1,000 a month home, but you also make $30. bucks an hour. I'm agreeing they cannot afford O-Care or the living wage, because prices will go higher, even more people will be fired or brought to temp or part time jobs.

Consequences of an already destroyed market overrun by big corporate stores and businesses. If that can be reversed, jobs brought back to America promoting more work, less greedy companies... then there will be no need for these types of low quality chain stores selling junk that are the only employers. Until then it's a lose lose situation.
The stores shut down when Wal-Mart comes to town deserve to be shut down. They have been overcharging their customers for decades. You can always identify who the business owners in any small town are. They live in the big houses on the hill overlooking the people they have been fleecing forever. Those "boss hogs" pull the strings of the town governments.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:49 AM

50,078 posts, read 46,633,492 times
Who cares. If my local one folded I'd still buy from them online and have it delivered to my house just like I did for the tv I bought last week.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,169,407 times
Maybe the city of DC can open their own discount food store and then no one will stop them from paying their employees a liveable wage with good benefits. Call it "Government-Mart"

As they say..put up or shut up.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe the city of DC can open their own discount food store and then no one will stop them from paying their employees a liveable wage with good benefits. Call it "Government-Mart"

The Grapes of Wrath 2.0

Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 AM

40,922 posts, read 48,883,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

ObaMart ?

They could sell cell phones and health insurance cheaply. Everything could be in Spanish for the illegal aliens.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM

14,295 posts, read 9,635,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeking View Post

A local Walmart hires people to do low skill jobs, they are the same low skill jobs, and low pay as in a small mom & pop grocery store. In fact, over at Walmart they give the employee health insurance, something ObamaCare allowed the mom & pop to avoid providing to their 'less then 50' employees.

So, if you get rid of Walmart and replace it with twenty little stores, none of those employees gets health care, and they may even get paid less too.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 AM

40,922 posts, read 48,883,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So, if you get rid of Walmart and replace it with twenty little stores, none of those employees gets health care, and they may even get paid less too.
Feds should just go ahead confiscate and Federalize WalMart stores. They could then make the Govt Union employees making $120k a year plus Benefits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies