Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 08:32 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Mom and pop won't get hurt either as there is a square footage limit included too. But say your Walmart and across the street is Joemart. Both are the same size big retail stores and joe has a union they don't have to pay th $12 an hour only the non unionized wallyworld. This is how much unions care about their employees.
Evidently you're unaware of the universal truth that the entire purpose of the union is to get its members a decent paycheck. Those stores with unions will negotiate with the unions, and the government doesn't need to protect union workers.

*sigh*

I can't believe I have to explain this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 08:34 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Apparently the unions don't really care or they would be out marching for their workers along with walmart workers to START out at that $12 an hour. Maybe you can explain that to me?

Old 07-12-2013, 08:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Labor costs eat a big chunk of revenue. Revenue is not increasing as fast as labor costs.
And our government is just making it worse with more financial mandates on employers.

So hours will be cut, benefits dropped and people on work visas will be employed.

You want your job security, fair wage and benefits ? Then I suggest you go get a government job because private industry is just reacting to what is going on. This "recovery" is due to the Fed pumping $80 billion a month into the system. Look at who is profiting from this..JPM for example has profits up 31%, Wells Fargo up 20%.
General Mills, on the otherhand, is down 11% from last year. Walmart reported 18% profit.

In the case of many retailers, revenue is flat or down. If you cannot generate revenue then you have to start cutting expenses.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:37 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What we've learned:

To promote the prosperity of all Washingtonians we'll make sure the only ones that prosper are those at big box stores. Nowhere does it mention that rates at smaller businesses will increase or that it gives those businesses an unfair advantage by enabling them to repress wages.

The rate is indexed to the CPI but it never is able to decrease. Neat.

WalMart cannot hire the same contractors at the same price that their competition can for the same work.

Private businesses must reveal their payroll to both employees and the mayor.

WalMart must take on compliance costs to report every month to the overload mayor because no large business can be trusted.

No retailer in any city ever in the history of mankind has been negatively effected by these types of laws and wouldn't dare close or reduce staff because it. The council knows this.

What I don't see though are the provisions for union labor and grandfather clauses. I'm sure I read about those.

The council aren't good politicians or the goal really was to run WalMart out of town because a good overload like a good date would wait until pulling out would be messy.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Lol it has nothing to do with Wal-Mart but your fellow shoppers.
Only the far right shop at WalMart. The place always smells like elephant dung when I'm there.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Mom and pop won't get hurt either as there is a square footage limit included too.
They absolutely will be hurt. They will lose good people who will chose WalMart because it pays better and therefore the bottom of the barrel shifts to M&P and still gets paid less.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Labor costs eat a big chunk of revenue. Revenue is not increasing as fast as labor costs.
Especially when your labor costs go up 50% before you even open your store.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:43 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Only the far right shop at WalMart. The place always smells like elephant dung when I'm there.
Sam Walton is rolling in his grave right now. This is not what the man envisioned for the future. Corporate profits matter the most to any large corporation, employees are ranked last, almost always.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Wal-Mart has and will likely. They do not usually make threats just what consequences are .I can also see it limiting others as to locating within jurisdiction. Just a business decision based on cost.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Wal-Mart has and will likely. They do not usually make threats just what consequences are .I can also see it limiting others as to locating within jurisdiction. Just a business decision based on cost.
Can you imagine shopping for retail space next to an incompleted WalMart? Might as well be a canary in a mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies