Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 09:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

Militarized police overreach: “Oh, God, I thought they were going to shoot me next Militarized Police Overreach

This is a good article about the abuse of SWAT teams. The account of a mistaken raid on the mayor of a town, the killing of the two pet dogs, and the callous disregard of the people they traumatized is eye opening. The team showed up, barged through the door (illegally as it happens) and proceeded to treat the homeowner and his MIL as if the were common criminals, when they were not. Apparently this is not too unusual in Maryland.

I've never been frightened of this happening to us. But could it? Has it happened to you? Do you know of a case where this has happened?

Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
That is scary. I have heard stories from the aftermath of Hurricane Catriona where the police and Gov. forces were forcibly seizing firearms from citizens that were not even affected by the storm. Imagine having a bunch of our guys pointing their machine guns at you and demanding you give up your shotgun or handgun that you are using to protect your family and property.
When the dust settled I wonder if those confiscated guns were returned to the rightful owners?

Old 07-11-2013, 12:23 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Atlanta few years ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston_shooting

Old 07-11-2013, 12:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
It is all of the "keep them in fear" philosophy the police have enacted.

I know a very distant relative who had swat come in; he of course was guilty as heck of the reason, but when they kicked in the door, it swung within six inches of their two year old that was next to hit, if that thing would of hit the kid, he would have been seriously injured.

I thought it was a little bit of an overkill; the charge was for felony possesion of a controlled substance or something like that, basically he had some (a lot I guess) dope he was selling to people; they could have just arrested him when he went to work, come home from work, or any other time instead of what they did.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is all of the "keep them in fear" philosophy the police have enacted.

I know a very distant relative who had swat come in; he of course was guilty as heck of the reason, but when they kicked in the door, it swung within six inches of their two year old that was next to hit, if that thing would of hit the kid, he would have been seriously injured.

I thought it was a little bit of an overkill; the charge was for felony possesion of a controlled substance or something like that, basically he had some (a lot I guess) dope he was selling to people; they could have just arrested him when he went to work, come home from work, or any other time instead of what they did.
You know I'd always assumed that people who dealt drugs deserved to have their doors kicked in in the middle of the night. But you make an interesting point. The violent entry could injure a child or pet.

I imagine they arrest people in their homes to find the evidence of the crime.

Aren't most of the drug dealers non-violent? I am beginning to question some things here.

Any law enforcement officer want to respond?

Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
Often they raid the wrong address and shoot the victims. No oversight.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Often they raid the wrong address and shoot the victims. No oversight.
Do you know of a specific case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies