U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:51 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,123,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
No one has been able to disprove the existence of God either. You can deny it until you are blue in the face but atheism is a religious belief in the non-existence of a deity.
You're just uncomfortable with the idea that some people don't feel any need to think about things such as religion or deities. Atheism is an aspect of one's world view, how they interpret existence, but it most definitely is not religious, or a substitute for religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 08:52 PM

55,502 posts, read 74,405,087 times
religion usually contains principles of, focus, obediance, discipline aka punishment --without them there is no learning.
obediance, focus, discipline are the life skills they have been deprived of.
these life skills are taught in police training and the military, they work wonderfully.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:55 PM

487 posts, read 564,567 times
There is no such thing as "morality", its a relative concept completely dependant on which culture it is being applied to. I'm saying this because I constantly see people in this thread using this vague term to back their points, stop it. Not everyone feels the same zeal to follow those "joodayo christian values".

Old 10-23-2009, 08:55 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,321,748 times
I agree with you Tin-dude. The bozos of today with their psychology degrees as useless. Psychoanalysis didn't do anybody any good. Psychiatric medication didn't help out our kids. Instead it turned them into junkies. It is hopeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No fish dude. God has nothing to do with it.
Its about listening to the great quaks on how to raise, how to teach, and how to disiplin children that has led to this. We should have listened to our Grand parents and parents instead.
Not to mention a justice system that buys into the notion Johnny is bad because daddy never bought him a red wagon.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:56 PM

I agree. Morality is dependent on the culture. If you went to practice Christian morals in Pakistan then you'd have some real problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
There is no such thing as "morality", its a relative concept completely dependant on which culture it is being applied to. I'm saying this because I constantly see people in this thread using this vague term to back their points, stop it. Not everyone feels the same zeal to follow those "joodayo christian values".

Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 PM

The police usually are of pretty low intelligence though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
religion usually contains principles of, focus, obediance, discipline aka punishment --without them there is no learning.
these life skills are taught in police training and the military, they work wonderfully.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:04 PM

6,966 posts, read 5,406,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
So, you think schools should be run like police academies and military boot camps??

Learning requires punishment?? I certainly hope that you're not a teacher.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 PM

I would hate to be in the teachers class that is always screeching and howling at the students and giving them the evil eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
So, you think schools should be run like police academies and military boot camps??

Learning requires punishment?? I certainly hope that you're not a teacher.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:18 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,326,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
The simplest answer is too many people who lack college-level ability are attempting to take college-level classes.
And midway through the first semester they painfully find out that college is not like high school. There are no "free passes". They drop and lose their money.

When I went back after 20 years out of school, I took Intermediate Algebra, a remedial class. I needed that refresher. I was in class with HS graduates who struggled.

Started off full - 35 students
Ended - 5 (all returning adult students)

It was a 4:30 class so it was a mixture of working adults and kids in their first year.

Next semester it was College Algebra..the first "required" math class for all CC students. Same story and close to the same ending.

Now taking Trig which is for math concentration. Finally..there are people in the class that can do the work. Now it does feel like college.

It was a real shocker at how poorly prepared some kids are.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:27 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,593,972 times
It could be argued that our schools and nation started to decline in the 1950's when "Under God" was forced into the pledge of allegiance by religious zealots, who then proceeded to hijack our national motto and our currency with "In God We Trust", turning all of our dollars into Christian propaganda leaflets.

Same thing happened to Rome when Xians took over..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies