U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:34 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,862,510 times

Advertisements

The OP is drawing a causation between two events - declining behavior and prayers in school - that have no proven correlation.

I suspect the individual seeks a correlation to support his beliefs. In reality, there has been a major cultural shift that has caused much of these behavioral changes.

Whether that's good or bad (I'd say there are benefits to it as well as costs), prayers in schools are only one symptom as we became more global and multicultural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:39 PM

21,127 posts, read 19,163,672 times
I wonder why the young rebelled back then if the world was so great the way it was
Also, half a century ago beating children was still common, I don't want children to be brain-washed robots copying the grown-ups with their weird priorities that have almost ruined our world.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:02 AM

654 posts, read 380,479 times
I tried prayer once in school for a test that I didn't study for. It didn't work well.

I found that studying, paying attention in class, taking good notes, and asking questions was much more effective.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:15 AM

8,743 posts, read 10,236,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
I tried prayer once in school for a test that I didn't study for. It didn't work well.

I found that studying, paying attention in class, taking good notes, and asking questions was much more effective.
Excellent point.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:23 AM

8,640 posts, read 7,943,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
David Barton of Wall Builders has studied the statistical records for the past 60 years. In each study you can clearly see a negative impact starting around the year 1962 when School Prayer was removed! Teenage pregnancy rates have gone up 500% since 1962. Unmarried mothers have risen dramatically since 1962. The divorce Rate is so high that many young children don't really understand what a family is. Violent Crimes have risen steadily since the early 60's, and our prison system is bursting at the seams. The SAT scores have steadily declined each year for 18 straight years since 1962 and continue to decline or be low. We once had the best school system in the world, and we are now ranked about 15th among the industrialized nations. This is despite us spending more money then any other nation in the world on our school system. As the poorly educated enter the workforce how can our companies compete with other international industries?
Here you can see the effect of removing School Prayer

Government Records show the top 7 leading problems in our schools ranked in order from first to seventh, 1940 and 1990. Notice the differences in type and seriousness.

1. Talking out of turn (1940)
1. Drug abuse (1990)
2. Chewing Gum (1940)
2. Alcohol abuse (1990)
3. Making noise (1940)
3. Pregnancy (1990)
4. Running in the Halls (1940)
4. Suicide (1990)
5. Cutting in Line (1940)
5. Rape (1990)
6. Dress-code violations (1940)
6. Robbery (1990)
7. Littering (1940)
7. Assault (1990)
It is interesting to note that Christian Schools have much higher SAT scores then the public schools, and yet they spend much less per student then the public schools. In fact David Barton says their scores are still near the 1962 levels! It appears that teaching morals has a very positive impact on education!

We have gone from public schools which taught moral principles and good citizenship with high scholastic achievement, to schools that have disrespect for authority, sex, drugs, anger, knives, guns, murder, no moral teachings, no mention of God and low SAT scores.

Our founding fathers felt that good moral citizenship was essential for the success of the new nation. Read their quotes on the next page.

Thank you, liberal-controlled Supreme Court for screwing up whole generations of Americans!

Do you agree or disagree with the Court on freedom of religion in schools???

I believe it is the intent of liberals (who are in control of the schools) to dumb down the kids and to make the kids take their view of no moral judgements on any behavior or personal responsibility. We can expect no less from liberals on the Supreme Court. The citizenry are much easier to control in the future when they are dependent.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post

School is not the only place it doesn't work And when one prays and something good does happen for a change one tends to misinterpret that insofar as things would not have turned out favorably without the prayers.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:30 AM

654 posts, read 380,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I believe it is the intent of liberals (who are in control of the schools) to dumb down the kids and to make the kids take their view of no moral judgements on any behavior or personal responsibility. We can expect no less from liberals on the Supreme Court. The citizenry are much easier to control in the future when they are dependent.
Irony at its finest. 6 out of the 9 Supreme Court Judges are Republican nominations.

I am not a modern day liberal, but I find myself coming to their defense all too often because of inane bull**** spewed by Republican conspirators.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Isn't that a bit simplistic? I am an atheist and my parents aren't religious, either. There was a priest teaching at school, but we used to make fun of that old geezer with his weird grin upon his face. Still, my moral judgments and personal responsibility are just fine. How come?
We become social beings if the people we socialize with are social beings. So it is kind of a spiral or even avalanche, but potentially in both directions.

Apart from that I guess humans have never before enjoyed such freedom as in the West today. So we as a whole have been on an adventure trip which is always risky. We are still learning. Realizing and accepting the existence of problems is the first step to solve them.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:50 AM

8,743 posts, read 10,236,023 times
Quote:
It can easily be spun around to say "I believe it is the intent of CONSERVATIVES (who are in control of the schools) to dumb down the kids and to make the kids take their view of no moral judgements on any behavior or personal responsibility. We can expect no less from on the Supreme Court. The citizenry are much easier to control in the future when they are dependent."

See what happens when you make completely irrational posts? It is expected from you anyways though.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:36 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,213,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
David Barton of Wall Builders has studied the statistical records for the past 60 years. In each study you can clearly see a negative impact starting around the year 1962 when School Prayer was removed! Teenage pregnancy rates have gone up 500% since 1962. Unmarried mothers have risen dramatically since 1962. The divorce Rate is so high that many young children don't really understand what a family is. Violent Crimes have risen steadily since the early 60's, and our prison system is bursting at the seams. The SAT scores have steadily declined each year for 18 straight years since 1962 and continue to decline or be low. We once had the best school system in the world, and we are now ranked about 15th among the industrialized nations. This is despite us spending more money then any other nation in the world on our school system. As the poorly educated enter the workforce how can our companies compete with other international industries?
Here you can see the effect of removing School Prayer

Government Records show the top 7 leading problems in our schools ranked in order from first to seventh, 1940 and 1990. Notice the differences in type and seriousness.

1. Talking out of turn (1940)
1. Drug abuse (1990)
2. Chewing Gum (1940)
2. Alcohol abuse (1990)
3. Making noise (1940)
3. Pregnancy (1990)
4. Running in the Halls (1940)
4. Suicide (1990)
5. Cutting in Line (1940)
5. Rape (1990)
6. Dress-code violations (1940)
6. Robbery (1990)
7. Littering (1940)
7. Assault (1990)
It is interesting to note that Christian Schools have much higher SAT scores then the public schools, and yet they spend much less per student then the public schools. In fact David Barton says their scores are still near the 1962 levels! It appears that teaching morals has a very positive impact on education!

We have gone from public schools which taught moral principles and good citizenship with high scholastic achievement, to schools that have disrespect for authority, sex, drugs, anger, knives, guns, murder, no moral teachings, no mention of God and low SAT scores.

Our founding fathers felt that good moral citizenship was essential for the success of the new nation. Read their quotes on the next page.

Thank you, liberal-controlled Supreme Court for screwing up whole generations of Americans!

Do you agree or disagree with the Court on freedom of religion in schools???
There is a huge difference between causation and correlation. There are about a gazillion other factors which have contributed to the current situation in the schools which have nothing whatsoever to do with what you do on Sunday mornings.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies