Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 04:03 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,273,385 times

Advertisements

I found this interesting:
State emails searched for terms such as ‘tea party,’ ‘hicks’ | Government / Politics - The News Tribune

A conservative think tank in Washington state filed a public disclosure request (similar to a FOIA request) for search of emails and other state records for terms commonly used by lefty trolls when discussing us right-wingers. The search terms also include "conservative, Catholic, Christian, right wing, far right, racist, teabagger and hicks."

The purpose is to see if the blue state bureaucrats are engaging in similar monkey business as the IRS. I'm betting that the answer will almost certainly be yes. I think this is a brilliant move by the WA Freedom Foundation, and other states with disclosure laws might take note.

Washington has pretty strong laws regarding disclosure of public records. Several local conservative activists have gotten 6 figure paydays suing the most transparent region ever for violating its own transparency laws.
Politics | King County settles vote-records suit from 2004 governor race | Seattle Times Newspaper

Local News | King County to face bigger fine for delaying release of documents about Qwest Field financing | Seattle Times Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 04:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,768,545 times
I'll be waiting for the results.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:10 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,716,568 times
I applaud people using FOIA requests to get information from the government. It is important to keep government as transparent as possible.

But I also think that when organizations want to go fishing in government business, that the costs to fulfill these FOIA requests is enormous. That should be a consideration, too.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,768,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I applaud people using FOIA requests to get information from the government. It is important to keep government as transparent as possible.

But I also think that when organizations want to go fishing in government business, that the costs to fulfill these FOIA requests is enormous. That should be a consideration, too.
The people making the request pay for the production of documents.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,716,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The people making the request pay for the production of documents.
Yes. And?

The more sweeping a request, the more expensive it is to fulfill. To get every e-mail that has one of a number of keywords or key phrases, from every operating system in the state, is a daunting task. To get people to review those e-mails to determine which qualify for FOIA and which don't, to review those e-mails to redact personal information, and then to combine those e-mails into an accessible data set, be it on a storage device or hard copy documents, is expensive. The people making the request don't pay for everything that goes into the process. And that should be a consideration. I'm not arguing that people shouldn't make such requests. I'm arguing they should think about the requests, and what they are hoping to find, and what they are hoping to accomplish, and what the costs are.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:26 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,137,772 times
I certainly hope they also included, "backwards, stupid, whiny, paranoid, racist and igorant," lest the net not be cast sufficiently wide.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,739,995 times
RW org requests all offcial state emails with the words "tea party," "gun nut," "hick," "Mormon," "libertarian...."

Let me guess: The response was, "Sorry, the IRS already requisitioned all such documents with those words, we don't have them any more."

Old 07-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,898,732 times
They forgot to include birthers and tinfoil hat wearing nutjobs on the search list.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,021,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
They forgot to include birthers and tinfoil hat wearing nutjobs on the search list.
Along with "stooges","morons" and "hypocrits"
What I find hilarious is the phrase "conservative think tank"...no such thing or its a mighty empty tank

Old 07-12-2013, 08:19 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,778,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Government agencies are often trying to use the excuse of expense but the fact is they can compile these documents in very little time as long as they are electronic. The big issue is confidentiality rules and such and the government agencies need to adjust their practices such as marking email beforehand for review so it's flagged if it comes up in search. This is not rocket science for those of us that understand the tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies