Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:38 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,811,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Yep, agreed. The minimum wage hurts people whose labor is valued less than what minimum wage is set at...it's not helping the poor as a whole, it's harming their chances at a job in the first place.

You can't legislate prosperity. It has to occur naturally, where people start at lower wages and build their skills and value so they're actually WORTH what they're being paid, not a burden on the employer.
Seems like you live in opposite world. The minimum wage hurts labor? Uhh, it hurts the corporations because they're forced to pay more. The corporations would LOVE to have the minimum wage abolished so they can pay people 0.25/hr if they could.

If you think removing the minimum wage is a good idea, you better be ready to watch a revolt against the few by the masses and overthrow the government we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 10:23 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Seems like you live in opposite world. The minimum wage hurts labor? Uhh, it hurts the corporations because they're forced to pay more. The corporations would LOVE to have the minimum wage abolished so they can pay people 0.25/hr if they could.

If you think removing the minimum wage is a good idea, you better be ready to watch a revolt against the few by the masses and overthrow the government we have.
Well...yeah, it hurts both the employer and the most unskilled or inexperienced people.

The second part is what always happens with the government. They do this stuff for votes and then it's tough to repeal, partially because of what you said. People get used to it and flip out if anyone wants to take it away.

Either way, my main point is that employers and employees both want the best deal they can get, but people only focus on the employees' wants. If you're costing the company more than you're making for them, what's the point? They're just an organization asking for help getting their work done, not a charity.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:05 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
If I need somebody to sweep my factory floors, what made me suddenly responsible for the hiree's entire family?

I thought HE was responsible for them?

Old 03-07-2017, 04:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
The corporations would LOVE to have the minimum wage abolished so they can pay people 0.25/hr if they could.
If 0.25/hr is all the value that person brings to the company...

Wages should be an agreement between the candidate and the potential employer to negotiate. The government has no place at that table. I've never had anyone else involved in determining any aspects of my employment and always made sure I had something to offer a prospective employer.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:53 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
No such thing as a living wage, its a made up state of nirvana. Every person in the world has a different lifestyle and standard of living, its up to them to fund it. If you wan't a "living wage" and you work for me, do I get to also decide how you spend your money so I can make sure your "living wage" makes sure you have the bare essentials? Can I mandate that terms of employment mean no purchases of over $500 without my approval? No new premium smart phone, no unlimited data plans, no buying brand new cars, no super expensive cable packages, grocery shopping limited to healthy food only? Where do you want this to end...first people want the government to spoon feed them throughout life, now its the employers responsibility to care for you? Maybe they can change your kids diapers and do your laundry for you too?

Old 03-07-2017, 05:22 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
If 0.25/hr is all the value that person brings to the company...

Wages should be an agreement between the candidate and the potential employer to negotiate. The government has no place at that table. I've never had anyone else involved in determining any aspects of my employment and always made sure I had something to offer a prospective employer.
That's silly it's not about "the value the employee brings" when is the last time you saw an employer even attempt to quantify that? It's about how little can I pay this person in order to keep them from quitting an hour after I give them the job

Old 03-07-2017, 05:27 PM

75 posts, read 36,799 times
Hard to define "living wage" - but I do think it should at the very least allow someone to support a 1 person household (themselves) in an average/median studio apartment for the region.

It doesn't do that in many places.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:55 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceIsNotAnOption View Post
Hard to define "living wage" - but I do think it should at the very least allow someone to support a 1 person household (themselves) in an average/median studio apartment for the region.

It doesn't do that in many places.
I have no problem with that.

When you find such a person in one of the "many places" you mentioned, write him a check for the balance.

He's not doing anything more for you to deserve the extra money, than he's doing for whatever employer he's sweeping floors for. But since you feel so strongly he should be getting more money, you are at least as responsible as his employer is, to provide it to him.

How many checks have you written so far?

Old 03-07-2017, 06:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I have no problem with that.

When you find such a person in one of the "many places" you mentioned, write him a check for the balance.

He's not doing anything more for you to deserve the extra money, than he's doing for whatever employer he's sweeping floors for. But since you feel so strongly he should be getting more money, you are at least as responsible as his employer is, to provide it to him.

How many checks have you written so far?
Why do conservatives use strawman arguments instead of just being honest and saying that they don't think the working poor deserve jack $#/+ ?

Old 03-07-2017, 06:41 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Why do conservatives use strawman arguments instead of just being honest and saying that they don't think the working poor deserve jack $#/+ ?
Because your hypothetical that says that conservatives honestly think that is about as devoid of fact and reason as anything else that most politicians spew out each side of their mouths. Bottom line is that the government doesn't care about you until its time to bribe you for your vote with free goodies every election cycle, everyone would be better off just finding ways to be more self sufficient rather than hoping they are the demographic that the government happens to want to pander to in a particular election cycle for their own personal gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies