Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Hipsters in San Francisco managed to get a restaurant shut down because they "couldn't stand the smell of bacon". Idiots....all of them...

Bacon Bacon close raises quite a stink - SFGate
Your interpretation of what the article says leads me to believe that you didn't read the article.
First, there's no mention of hipsters anywhere in the article.
Secondly, bacon is a "hip" thing right now, so it's actually more likely that the neighborhood hipsters are the ones signing the petition to save the restaurant.

You also conveniently leave out this important information:
Quote:
In January 2012, owner Jim Angelus took over an abandoned store front in the Haight and opened the restaurant the same month without the proper permits.

A neighbor filed a discretionary review appeal a year later. That triggered an automatic hearing before the Planning Commission. Discretionary reviews can be expensive, time consuming and discouraging. In this case, Angelus said he was well aware that the ventilation needed to be upgraded, and he was ready to do it.

"I need to do that anyway," he said. "I just wasn't going to do it until I knew it was approved."

But he can't get the permits as long as the discretionary review hangs over the restaurant, so they're at a stalemate. On Friday, Angelus closed the cafe.
So, a guy opens a restaurant without the required permits, admits he needs to upgrade the ventilation to get the permits, but doesn't want to do it until the permits are approved, but let's blame it on his neighbors (who, for the sake of your argument must be hipsters. It makes perfect sense actually. Hipsters love bacon so much that a restaurant that specializes in bacon absolutely must be destroyed!)

Helpful hint: Read the article you post before you post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Only hipsters believe they are on the cutting edge of culter.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,675 times
what TF is a hipster, as if I should GAF

Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times
Hipster Bingo:
Attached Thumbnails
Why are hipsters such idiots?-bingo.jpg  

Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 AM

563 posts, read 807,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Perfect summary of thread.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:38 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Check out "Hipster Olympics" on You Tube. Pretty much explains it all.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:42 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
If I had more room in my yard, I would keep a couple for the eggs. I'm not a hipster.
I know a lot of people who have chickens and none of them are really hipsters... Often people who are really into gardening or live on semi-farms on the edge of the city.

Hipsters don't really like to get dirty in that sort of thing---people in that label are young transplants more into their outfits and trying to be cool and going out to bars and clubs and getting laid and so on. But people just insert ____(hipster) into anything these days. The word doesn't mean much anymore.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Your interpretation of what the article says leads me to believe that you didn't read the article.
First, there's no mention of hipsters anywhere in the article.
Secondly, bacon is a "hip" thing right now, so it's actually more likely that the neighborhood hipsters are the ones signing the petition to save the restaurant.

You also conveniently leave out this important information:

So, a guy opens a restaurant without the required permits, admits he needs to upgrade the ventilation to get the permits, but doesn't want to do it until the permits are approved, but let's blame it on his neighbors (who, for the sake of your argument must be hipsters. It makes perfect sense actually. Hipsters love bacon so much that a restaurant that specializes in bacon absolutely must be destroyed!)

Helpful hint: Read the article you post before you post it.
The complaint wasn't that he didn't have permits. It was that the residents didn't like the smell. Did YOU read the article? Additionally, bacon is not a a cool thing among hipsters right now. Being vegan/organic is.

Helpful hint for you: learn about the neighborhood in question before talking down to me like this. That neighborhood is known for being a haven for hipsters. Try again champ.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
That is a good way to put it. It's so much more fashionable though to be a hipster than a redneck. Hipsters are on the cutting edge of culture while rednecks lack culture.
How is wearing clothes that are 2 sizes too small and look as if you haven't bathed or groomed for a month fashionable?

Old 07-12-2013, 11:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Maybe I had better get rid of my chickens so no one thinks I'm a hipster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies