Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 07:34 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,715,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Oh sure. And if general wages had kept up these last few decades, we'd all have much less concern right now. But look at what we get for our money compared to 1913. Look at our lives and how full and so physically easy compared to 1913. Today 10 men can produce the output of thousands compared to 1913. In 1913 most people farmed and foraged for their own food. Today I can go around the world in just a few days. In 1913 with the heat around where I live I couldn't travel but a few miles in a few hours at best.

We have low grade persistent inflation built into our money systems. As our country expands and grows it needs more money. Progress and success is slightly inflationary on its own. And we dare not go the other way. Deflation is the worst of all worlds besides physical destruction. We need more money to run our country and industry than in 1776. Thus our enormously large National Debt number.
Maybe we should....I don't know spend less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,987,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
It has become a selfish and immoral system where facts only matter if they reinforce what is believed already.
That sounds an awful lot like a good definition of modern liberalism. Somehow, grabbing money from people to give to other people has become moral and selfless. To me, that sounds like theft. Winking an eye and giving a nod to all sorts of irresponsible behaviour like unfettered sex and drug use has become the "right thing to do" with your ilk.
I could go on, but you people just blow my mind.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Our Federal Gov't can create the money unless we the people say not to.

Tell us how this occurs.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:45 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,715,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Tell us how this occurs.
he is unaware that the federal reverse controls the monitory supple.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Oh sure. And if general wages had kept up these last few decades, we'd all have much less concern right now. But look at what we get for our money compared to 1913. Look at our lives and how full and so physically easy compared to 1913. Today 10 men can produce the output of thousands compared to 1913. In 1913 most people farmed and foraged for their own food. Today I can go around the world in just a few days. In 1913 with the heat around where I live I couldn't travel but a few miles in a few hours at best.

We have low grade persistent inflation built into our money systems. As our country expands and grows it needs more money. Progress and success is slightly inflationary on its own. And we dare not go the other way. Deflation is the worst of all worlds besides physical destruction. We need more money to run our country and industry than in 1776. Thus our enormously large National Debt number.

You don't seem to give a damn about people who save their money. As your money supply increases, the value of a dollar saved drops. I guess that becomes irrelevant to people who have their hands out to the government all the time, though.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
he is unaware that the federal reverse controls the monitory supple.
The biggest scam going, if you ask me.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:53 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,222,765 times
The word Conservatism shouldn't be used alone. Are we talking Fiscal Conservatism (which I support), or social conservatism (which I hate)?

Old 08-16-2013, 07:53 PM

18,743 posts, read 8,361,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Maybe we should....I don't know spend less?
Spending depends so very much on what is purchased, and why. And also most importantly when? Because central money creation and spending in a recession, or during a national emergency, or war may be progressively mandatory. But spending on foolishness in stronger economic times would be progressively inflationary.

Look to the EU countries like Spain and Greece where huge percentages of younger folks cannot find work. This will have profound implications on a whole and even next generation. Millions of lives tattered, possibly for good. Central money creation and spending can fight this plague. But they cannot because they don't have monetary sovereignty.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:54 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,887,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
You don't seem to give a damn about people who save their money. As your money supply increases, the value of a dollar saved drops. I guess that becomes irrelevant to people who have their hands out to the government all the time, though.
Yeah, the money supply should be kept in 2013 the same as it was in 1913, regardless of the fact that there are 3X more Americans. Even Friedman believed that the Fed needs to increase the money supply or consumer demand will outrun the money supply, causing deflation.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yeah, the money supply should be kept in 2013 the same as it was in 1913, regardless of the fact that there are 3X more Americans. Even Friedman believed that the Fed needs to increase the money supply or consumer demand will outrun the money supply, causing deflation.
It sure as hell has increased more than three times since 1913. Get a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies