Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,140,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have three boys, ages 19, 24, and 26. Their "take away" from this is "Don't walk to the store wearing a hoodie, or you may get stalked because someone doesn't like the way you look." What am I supposed to tell them - run? Call 9-1-1? Whatever you do, don't confront the aggressor? Run or hide as if you are guilty, or you may get shot? Guilty of what - wearing a hoodie? Having a dark skin tone? Being young?

Sad times.
how about telling them not to attack the guy following you? don't beat his head into the concrete? there are such things as plain clothes policemen, off duty police, security guards, neighborhood watches?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Nope. Rachel said Trayvon told her that Porky was 'right behind me'.

Why do people pick and choose what parts of her testimony to believe?
If I remember correctly she said Trayvon said that early on, before Trayvon ran and got away from him. It was before the confrontation began.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This was an interesting case to me primarily because I stayed away from the news and talking heads before and during the trial. I made up my mind solely based on the presentation of the evidence at trial, as many of you know. I must say that when the prosecution rested, I did not believe Zimmerman was guilty of murder 2. Manslaughter - I was not sure on and am still not 100% sure which way I would have voted if I were on the jury.

However, I finally watched the news programs this morning. Um - wow! I guess I can see why some people were so passionate about this trial because some news stations are really ramping up the emotions (AND using absolutely incorrect information I might add). To me, this is the greatest tragedy of all. The media has led to further polarization on this trial and race relations in this country. It's shameful what the media is allowed to do and get away with in this country.

Martin's family is heartbroken, as would anyone's be. Of course they do not want to believe that their own son had anything to do with his own death. However, it's the media's abuse of their grief that is so disgusting.
Correct ^^^^^^

Old 07-14-2013, 09:05 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
What of T.M.'s sordid past? Wouldn't your theory also state that T.M. may have met his justice?

The bottom line in this is two people collided that night, both made mistakes in their past as well as that night and it cost one of 'em their life.

What this does point out is it's completely insane to give a damn about anyone other than your family or immediate surroundings. Neighbors? On their own, too bad. If a perceived threat passes your sphere of existence close the door and let it go, let "the other guy' deal with it.
TM did NOT have a "sordid" past. What "justice" is there in killing a 17 year old because someone became suspicious of him simply because he was walking in the rain wearing a hoodie?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:06 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It is very distasteful to suggest that George Zimmerman should take some sort of "victory lap" for his actions that night.
No victory lap. The MSM will have high demand to get GZ on their shows. He should charge a fee for his appearance. He'll have many bills to pay.

He's not guilty.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:06 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,526,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You owe people on this board an apology. You have been very arrogant when confronted with your erroneous interpretation of the law.
For what? Having the audacity to state her opinions. Edward, please have a seat.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
you can defend yourself but you can't pull out a gun and blow the guy away. Especially considering you are the one that followed him and confronted him in the first place. You're not allowed to provoke a fight and then when you are losing that fight, pull out a gun and then claim self defense.

this is pretty much common sense.
I guess you didn't see the trial, the army captain/JAG lawyer testified otherwise. While the victim has the right to self defense the aggressor can in fact regain the right to self defense. When TM was on top of GZ he wasn't defending himself anymore. When the neighbors came out and told him to stop fighting he chose not to. Whenever you defend yourself you can only use force that is necessary and reasonable to defend yourself, but if you go beyond that you can become the aggressor. I believe the aspect was the imperfect self defense testimony that the JAG lawyer gave.

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
TRANSLATION: Be afraid, be very afraid, because you never know who is carrying a gun nor do you know whether or not a person carrying a gun has decided they don't like your looks and then will use that gun to kill you. "Behave".....your word for FEAR. Again, the lesson for all of us is to be afraid, very, very afraid when out in public.
No, just don't confront anyone assuming you can take 'em on and win. You may get a .30 cent surprise.

3,216 posts, read 2,084,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have three boys, ages 19, 24, and 26. Their "take away" from this is "Don't walk to the store wearing a hoodie, or you may get stalked because someone doesn't like the way you look." What am I supposed to tell them - run? Call 9-1-1? Whatever you do, don't confront the aggressor? Run or hide as if you are guilty, or you may get shot? Guilty of what - wearing a hoodie? Having a dark skin tone? Being young?

Sad times.
This case doesn't change the advise we give our children when threatened. We have always told our children, to seek safety if they are threatened. It would be a risk to escalate a perceived threat.

757 posts, read 1,103,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
"I guess I can see why some people were so passionate about this trial because some news stations are really ramping up the emotions ... To me, this is the greatest tragedy of all."

Interesting. I think to most of us the "greatest tragedy of all" is that a 17 year old boy is DEAD, a kid who was doing nothing other than walking home when he was "sighted" by someone who decided he "looked suspicious."
I agree, it's sad that a child is dead. But worst of all the fat wannabe cop is alive and free smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies