U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:30 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,886,758 times

Advertisements

Well, it appears I have more influence than I knew. Bhutto's house arrest has been lifted!

Pakistan's Bhutto released from house arrest - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 06:54 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,749,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
No surprise there -- except that it took so long.

I hear rumblings of an imminent Al Qaeda coup. Any confirmation of this?
An Al Qaeda coup? I doubt that very much. The military may not be the biggest fan of America, but they like us over Al Qaeda. The urban areas in Pakistan are pretty Westernized as far as Islamic nations go.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:55 PM

Can't ever be certain but I think he was kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
An Al Qaeda coup? I doubt that very much. The military may not be the biggest fan of America, but they like us over Al Qaeda. The urban areas in Pakistan are pretty Westernized as far as Islamic nations go.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:05 PM

11,127 posts, read 12,664,711 times
Quote:
Don't sweat it, Al Qaeda doesn't have enough people in Pakistan, apparently they are all in Chicago and Los Angeles planning to ruin the shopping season.

Exclusive: FBI: Al Qaeda May Strike U.S. Shopping Malls in LA, Chicago

The FBI is warning that al Qaeda may be preparing a series of holiday attacks on U.S. shopping malls in Los Angeles and Chicago, according to an intelligence report distributed to law enforcement authorities across the country this morning.

The Blotter: Exclusive: FBI: Al Qaeda May Strike U.S. Shopping Malls in LA, Chicago

Old 11-10-2007, 01:24 PM

2,923 posts, read 4,569,286 times
With the president taking totalitarian power Pakistan could potentially end up with a situation like that of the Shah in Iran, another unpopular US supported dictator who jailed and persecuted much of his moderate/liberal educated opposition... the remaining opponents could potentially band together with the Taliban (like the secular revolutionaries in Iran banded together with Khomeini) to topple his dictatorship with a coup, which would then result in a power struggle between the more secular types and Islamists that would hopefully go one way but could potentially go another. I think with democracy the scenario would be far less likely to play out that way.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:26 PM

19,501 posts, read 20,861,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
With the president taking totalitarian power Pakistan could potentially end up with a situation like that of the Shah in Iran, another unpopular US supported dictator who jailed and persecuted much of his moderate/liberal educated opposition... the remaining opponents could potentially band together with the Taliban (like the secular revolutionaries in Iran banded together with Khomeini) to topple his dictatorship with a coup, which would then result in a power struggle between the more secular types and Islamists that would hopefully go one way but could potentially go another. I think with democracy the scenario would be far less likely to play out that way.
When did he relinquish totalitarian power? I missed that.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:30 PM

2,923 posts, read 4,569,286 times
I should have said "refusing to follow the law by risking losing power," or "increasing his totalitarian power" by shutting down all opposition media, cancelling elections, jailing protesters and opposition leaders, basically abandoning any semblance of democracy that existed a few weeks ago. Not that Pakistan was a democracy a few weeks ago, but Musharraf could have taken the country in that direction... instead he's moving it in the opposite one.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:06 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,749,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Can't ever be certain but I think he was kidding.
Why would I be kidding? The Al Qaeda are running around the border regions. When they take Islamabad (which would be over the dead bodies of many thousand Pakistani soldiers), I will be worried. Until then, they are just over-zealous people in the countryside. Nations in this part of the world are ruled from their urban areas. The nuclear wepons, are controlled by men in the cities. The governemnt and military, are run through the cities. The terrorists may want to prove that they can take Kabul first. For the forseeable future, they will control neither.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:07 PM

I wasn't referring to you...but another poster...who I believe was kidding! And was referring you to his kidding......

Quote:
Why would I be kidding? The Al Qaeda are running around the border regions. When they take Islamabad (which would be over the dead bodies of many thousand Pakistani soldiers), I will be worried. Until then, they are just over-zealous people in the countryside. Nations in this part of the world are ruled from their urban areas. The nuclear wepons, are controlled by men in the cities. The governemnt and military, are run through the cities. The terrorists may want to prove that they can take Kabul first. For the forseeable future, they will control neither.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:35 PM

11,127 posts, read 12,664,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, it appears I have more influence than I knew. Bhutto's house arrest has been lifted!

Pakistan's Bhutto released from house arrest - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Well it looks as if our propped up lil tin pot dictator isn't very popular these days.

"We blame the U.S. directly for keeping us under the rule of the military," said Arfan Ghani, a 54-year-old professor of architecture. Musharraf, who heads Pakistan's army, is just "another dictator," Ghani told an American reporter, "serving the interests of your country."

http://fairuse.100webcustomers.com/m.../latimes67.htm

Winning their hearts and their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies