Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am pro gay marriage
I am pro cannabis legalization
I am against war unless absolutely necessary
I am pro government handouts but there needs to be more accountability to cut out abuse of the system
I am against the Patriot Act
I am pro Second Amendment
I am pro separation of church and state
I am pro religion, whatever that religion may be, and people should be free to practice it and teach the doctrine they choose, even if some may consider it hate; And they should remain tax exempt. Churches, mosques, and temples of all kinds are symbols of the diversity in our communities
I am against Obamacare
I am against abortion on demand but think there should be exceptions
I support a path to citizenship but am against completely open borders
I don't think Obama has been an outstanding President (I'm sorry I don't) but don't think Bush was great either; I liked Clinton

With most liberals, it seems that you must tow the party line 100% of the time or you are just as evil as those Neanderthalic conservatives that hate gays, women, and minorities and want to turn America into Iran. The polarization in this country is getting so intense its scary.
Newsflash, you are a liberal with a few conservative beliefs.

Unless there are some views you are not telling us about.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
liberals only see black and white. Your either the comrade or the enemy. That has been clear since Obama was elected with his compiling his enemies list. Now they whine because Republicans would save them with their policy failures in domestic side. After a 800 billion policy mess that ended in just more debt even many democrats are not giving this administration more money to spend on special interest like government workers and teachers salaries calling it shovel ready massive jobs program to keep unemployment under 7%. That is why they are only feeling the effect of recession last year and now. Something was shoveled alright but not jobs for ordinary people.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:14 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
If you lean left on social issues you aint Libertarian.

Libertarians want the government out of social issues while the left want to regulate the. Marriage and abortion are good examples of this.
Don't tell me what I am/not, thanks.

I want the government out of that stuff, too... when I said "lean left," I only mean that I don't think stuff like gay marriage, abortion, drugs, etc, should be ILLEGAL or even heavily regulated. Isn't that kind of the opposite of wanting government involvement? Both the Reps and Dems claim to want freedoms, but only seem to apply them to their chosen issues - for example the Dems want the freedom to SSM and drug use but not (always) for guns and cigarettes, whereas the Reps want freedom to own guns and pray in public schools, but not for the other things I listed.

That's why I identify most with libertarian beliefs, because at least they show some consistency in their regulatory desires. I'm not "lock-step" in line with the party, but then again I'm not in line with ANY party in general. Why do people always try to argue with that concept (of political non-partisanship)?

Old 07-12-2013, 11:15 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
If you lean left on social issues you aint Libertarian.

Libertarians want the government out of social issues while the left want to regulate the. Marriage and abortion are good examples of this.
Marriage and abortion are already regulated - by the "traditional" Right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morskoy View Post
Because modern left-wing liberalism (refers to most of the Dems supporters) is extremely hostile to any opinions even slightly different to theirs, its close to fascism. That's it, there's only one righteous opinion, and it's theirs, all others are enemies, in this case - right-wingers.

Its even more funny since they want to pretend like they are the most tolerant creatures on earth.
How is this different from the right wing?? You have just described the knee-jerk Right.
The above statement is just a Fox media script read over and over. Look up the definition of fascism before using it incorrectly to make accusations.
Here, I'll do it for ya.

http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle4113.htm
What Is Corporate Fascism? Is The Government Of The United States A Fascist Form Of Government?

Hello Fox News and Republicans!! Why would you accept their self-validating fear-based propaganda at face value - without a question?

Last edited by detwahDJ; 07-12-2013 at 11:43 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 11:20 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Because modern left-wing liberalism (refers to most of the Dems supporters) is extremely hostile to any opinions even slightly different to theirs, its close to fascism. That's it, there's only one righteous opinion, and it's theirs, all others are enemies, in this case - right-wingers.

Its even more funny since they want to pretend like they are the most tolerant creatures on earth.
Exchange right-wing for left-wing throughout your post, and it still applies 100%. This is how you can tell a partisan-blind person, when they think it's only one side or the other who's "intolerant" of differing opinions. Do you read this forum with your eyes shut, or what?? Seriously, one would have to be visually impaired to not see this coming from both sides almost equally.

Speaking of which, I don't think half of you all know the actual meaning of intolerance. Disagreeing with someone isn't intolerant, unless you take it to the level of wanting to discriminate against or restrict people with different views. I disagree with the views of Christianity, and have no qualms about telling a Christian what I think about that... but never in a million years would I push to revoke their religious freedoms, thus my opinions do NOT qualify as intolerant.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Anyone who doesn't agree with the liberal left view is labeled as a right wing nut job.

It's important to look at this issue in the context of liberal reasoning.

For the liberal, anyone who believes that a particular element of liberal ideology is logically flawed, discredited by history or morally deficient and presents facts and compelling arguments to support their hard thought conclusion should shut the **** up!

Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Looks like the Dems want the freedom for degradation (perversion, drugs, abortion).
It is still freedom, something you seem to be against.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Sure, I'm against degradation & proud of that.
No, you are against the freedom to partake in degradation, which means you are against freedom in general.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:43 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And I'm a libertarian who leans left on mostly just the social issues, but have been called a "*******," leftist, loony liberal, tree hugger, etc... so it goes both ways, and clearly the need to label others isn't just a liberal thing.

To be fair gizmo980, you live in the fruit and nut Mecca that is the Bay Area. What passes for middle of the road in your world is very different from what is considered mainstream in the Midwest or South.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
To be fair gizmo980, you live in the fruit and nut Mecca that is the Bay Area. What passes for middle of the road in your world is very different from what is considered mainstream in the Midwest or South.
Banning dancing and alcohol, like they have done in the bible belt is not mainstream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies