Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:53 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,748,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
To be fair gizmo980, you live in the fruit and nut Mecca that is the Bay Area. What passes for middle of the road in your world is very different from what is considered mainstream in the Midwest or South.
True, but even by national standards I ain't no Democrat! I could be called a liberal, perhaps, but the Dems tick me off almost as much as the Reps.

Really, my political (and life's) philosophies boil down to one very simple concept: As long as you're not directly inflicting harm upon anyone else, do whatever the heck you want. Whether you want to pray to Jesus and keep 20 shotguns in your bedroom, or be a cross-dressing prostitute, I really couldn't care less. I also believe we should live by the golden rule, and treat others as we want to be treated ourselves... and I don't care what any religious book, or even the government, has to say about that.

But back to the topic, my point was that people from BOTH sides like to label others. Maybe I'm not the best example, however I've seen it happening from all ends on this forum & in real life... I am even guilty of it myself sometimes, assuming people are left or right-wing based on one or two issues.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:58 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,189,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morskoy View Post
If I'm against the freedom to partake in degradion that means that I'm against the freedom to partake in degradation & nothing more. I'm pro freedom which leads to prosperity of human beings.

You may have never heard the difference between the freedom and permissiveness.
Your'e pro-freedom for things you agree with.

That's not really pro-freedom. Even Pol Pot was pro-freedom for things he supported

Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,189,835 times
Quote:
Why the heck I should be pro-freedom with the things I dont agree with? I dont agree with killings, I' dont want anyone to have a freedom to kill. Seems to me you are pro-killers.
Most idiotic conclusion of the day

Old 07-13-2013, 01:11 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,772,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Most idiotic conclusion of the day
Thought the same thing when I read the post

Old 07-13-2013, 01:26 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,748,879 times
Quote:
You may also try to proove you thought.

Since the freedom is for all, then you must be ok with the freedom to kill.
"Freedom for all" usually refers to the freedom to do what YOU want with YOUR body/life/money... murder isn't exercising freedom, in fact it's taking the freedom of the victim to live. How you cannot see this difference is both mind-boggling and worrisome.

Issues like personal drug use, gay marriage, prostitution, etc, are about having control over one's OWN life - whether or not other people agree with your choices. I don't agree with being a prostitute, but couldn't care less if that's what you've chosen to do with your life. Why should I?

Abortion is another story, and one which becomes more of a debate over when life begins. So I won't even go there, lol.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:38 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,896,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's important to look at this issue in the context of liberal reasoning.

For the liberal, anyone who believes that a particular element of liberal ideology is logically flawed, discredited by history or morally deficient andpresents facts and compelling arguments to support their hard thought conclusion should shut the **** up!
Again, why is this any different from right-wing ideologues? I don't think you know what the "liberal ideology" is other than what Fox tells you it is.
For credibility, you really should accuse the opposition of things you don't do yourself. And btw, you have presented no "facts" here, but just another Fox hissy-fit talking point. Innuendo is not fact.
Why does the Right keep posting these Fox-derived assumptions over and over as some sort of "argument"?

Old 07-13-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
If I'm against the freedom to partake in degradion that means that I'm against the freedom to partake in degradation & nothing more. I'm pro freedom which leads to prosperity of human beings.

You may have never heard the difference between the freedom and permissiveness.
"Permissiveness" is just "freedom" filtered through the right-wing mind - a favorite term of recent past politicos. For one, gay rights being too "permissive" - or anything else the Uptight Right doesn't like.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:05 AM

29,405 posts, read 16,308,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am pro gay marriage
I am pro cannabis legalization
I am against war unless absolutely necessary
I am pro government handouts but there needs to be more accountability to cut out abuse of the system
I am against the Patriot Act
I am pro Second Amendment
I am pro separation of church and state
I am pro religion, whatever that religion may be, and people should be free to practice it and teach the doctrine they choose, even if some may consider it hate; And they should remain tax exempt. Churches, mosques, and temples of all kinds are symbols of the diversity in our communities
I am against Obamacare
I am against abortion on demand but think there should be exceptions
I support a path to citizenship but am against completely open borders
I don't think Obama has been an outstanding President (I'm sorry I don't) but don't think Bush was great either; I liked Clinton

With most liberals, it seems that you must tow the party line 100% of the time or you are just as evil as those Neanderthalic conservatives that hate gays, women, and minorities and want to turn America into Iran. The polarization in this country is getting so intense its scary.

basically, you stereotyped those who are liberals just to point out that liberals stereotype you.

Also, it may have to do with your phrasing why some label you the way they do. Liberals and moderates tend not to use words like "handout". There is also the use of the phrase "pro second amendment" as if there is some large sector that is anti second amendment.

reading some of your post, you may just be a conservative independent(with left leaning views) rather than a moderate.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Permissiveness is just a freedom for degradation, no need to invent newly-born left-wing explanations. I.e. freedom to use drugs is an evident freedom for degradation. Every progressive guy must hysterically fight for these freedoms.
"Degradation" defined by you. Are you a prohibitionist and are you against alcohol use?
Yeah, I use a drug called beer and sometimes even vodka, and I would fight "hysterically" to retain this "left-wing freedom".

Old 07-13-2013, 03:01 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,965 times
Leftists are crazy.

They lack the ability to forsee the consequences of their policies, or in some cases, they're so crazy, they desire negative consequences.

They're dangerous predators, as the only way they can win converts is via propagandizing the young, and using their support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies