Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which tax would you eliminate if you could?
Income tax 42 48.28%
Property tax 22 25.29%
Sales tax 12 13.79%
Other 9 10.34%
None 2 2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 02:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Government is going to get their cut either way, so it's a wash in the end.
High property taxes discourage speculation and prevent bubbles. They keep housing prices stable.

High income taxes discourage high earnings and high productivity.

High sales taxes discourage consumption and hurt businesses who deal with the public.

It's not all the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 02:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Sales tax, because it's a double tax.
The largest offender of double taxation is corporate taxes. That's where I would start.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:14 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The largest offender of double taxation is corporate taxes. That's where I would start.
Many corporations pay no taxes. The ones that do pay an extremely low percentage.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:15 PM

688 posts, read 652,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
That's what inspired the thread. I asked Malamute whether he'd prefer high property taxes and no income tax (the Texas model) or high income taxes, high sales taxes, and low property taxes (the California model).

Of course if a tax is eliminated it means another tax is jacked up. As I said before there is good reason to favor high property taxes with ideally no other taxes, a la NH.
I'd think that the benefit for no income tax is significant for people with high incomes, but becomes burdensome for everyone else as they make-up lost revenue. A middle class family's tax burden isn't lessoned by an annual $7.5k property tax bill, as opposed to a $3k tax bill + 7% on clothing, entertainment, and food (also, many states don't tax unprepared food). I'd have to think that a combination of the income, property, and sales taxes would be most beneficial for the average American. But, then again, I'm not a tax expert.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:17 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Many corporations pay no taxes. The ones that do pay an extremely low percentage.
If you have a corporation and show a profit the tax rates is very high. The corporate tax code isn't even progressive.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:17 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Oops, didn't read the first post. I voted "income", but my state already doesn't have an income tax. Meh.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:18 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If you have a corporation and show a profit the tax rates is very high. The corporate tax code isn't even progressive.
0.15 is a high tax rate?????

I'd be happy to pay 10 times that amount

Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Default If you could eliminate a tax, which one would it be?

Probably those hidden excise taxes on many products. They're hidden in the price. Then you pay sales tax on the item and the excise tax.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Inheritance tax. Gift tax.
I was thinking inheritance tax but did not think of gift tax too. The reason I believe this tax should not exist is that man is the only animal that has the ability to pass on their wealth to the person or persons of their choice. I think it is wrong to tax this. When one loses a loved one it is bad enough to have to get over the loss. Then here comes the government and adds insult to injury.

It is really sad that a person cannot even die without the government trying to get it hands in our pockets. I would prefer not to even have to keep up with money given to others and charity. If you pay taxes on the income when you make it, what you do with that income should be nobody's business. I think deductions for charitable contributions are being abused. Stop the deduction on money given to charities and stop the tax on gifts to whatever or whomever you choose.

We are not supposed to let the left hand know what the right hand gives. When you have to itemize, it is a little hard to do that.

Last edited by NCN; 07-13-2013 at 02:31 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 02:21 PM

688 posts, read 652,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Like I said, I'm no tax expert, but no corporations actually pay those rates. Most pay significantly less, which is part of the push for a simplified tax code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies