Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which tax would you eliminate if you could?
Income tax 42 48.28%
Property tax 22 25.29%
Sales tax 12 13.79%
Other 9 10.34%
None 2 2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 PM

19,193 posts, read 16,664,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Many retirees have to sell their homes because they can no longer afford the property taxes. A reduced or graduated property tax based on income would seem fair to me.
Most states have a program for seniors. They can defer all or part of property taxes on their homes, if they meet certain guidelines, such as age (62 and older) and income (each state has their own limit). The taxes are collected when the homeowner dies or if they sell their home. It's a way for people, with limited income, to stay in their homes.

I don't think I'd eliminate any of the three taxes but I would approve income tax at a flat rate with no loopholes. Sales tax the same for every city and county, as well and not this fluctuation we see now. 8% in one city, 9% in another. Stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,461,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

If you could eliminate one tax in your state, which would it be?
Income tax. It seems odd to me that for just working I get taxed.

[property taxes are too low to be an issue for me]

Old 07-17-2013, 12:53 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Most states have a program for seniors. They can defer all or part of property taxes on their homes, if they meet certain guidelines, such as age (62 and older) and income (each state has their own limit). The taxes are collected when the homeowner dies or if they sell their home. It's a way for people, with limited income, to stay in their homes.

I don't think I'd eliminate any of the three taxes but I would approve income tax at a flat rate with no loopholes. Sales tax the same for every city and county, as well and not this fluctuation we see now. 8% in one city, 9% in another. Stupid.

These programs are available only to homeowners, renters are taxed out of their homes with impunity. If it is wrong to tax homeowners out of their homes why is it perfectly okay to tax renters out of their homes?

I once had a government janitor job where I worked alongside other janitors who were paid 5x as much for the same work. Why should I pay the same flat rate as other government workers paid 5x as much for doing the same work?

Old 07-17-2013, 07:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,197,368 times
We should eliminate all taxes except sales taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
These programs are available only to homeowners, renters are taxed out of their homes with impunity. If it is wrong to tax homeowners out of their homes why is it perfectly okay to tax renters out of their homes?

I once had a government janitor job where I worked alongside other janitors who were paid 5x as much for the same work. Why should I pay the same flat rate as other government workers paid 5x as much for doing the same work?
No one taxes a renter. That renter has every right to find a new place to live. Selling your home is nowhere near as easy as moving out of a rental.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:39 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,415,346 times
Quote:
Many retirees have to move because they can no longer afford the property taxes when the landlord jacks up the rent to cover the latest property tax increase.

Why do you want to kick retired renters on the street while you protect homeowners from having to move because of property taxes?
Where did I say I "wanted to kick retired renters on the street while [i] protect homeowners"? I don't recall even mentioning renters. You have put words into my mouth.

Last edited by Seagrape Grove; 07-17-2013 at 04:48 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 04:43 PM

19,193 posts, read 16,664,271 times
Quote:
Whoa! I wasn't commenting on whether it's right or wrong, I was responding to the member's comment about retirees having to sell their homes because they couldn't afford the taxes.

As for renter's. Not sure what state you are talking about but landlords in this state aren't raising the rent because taxes are out of control. The max is 2% a year and even that hasn't been the case in the past five years since property taxes fell.

Quote:
Chances are, those people you were working with, doing the same job, had been on the job longer than you. They receive annual step increases (in pay). They continue to receive those step increases until they reach the top of their job classification. That's how government jobs work. As for you income tax . . . Your flat tax would be based on your income, not your co-worker's or whether you both hold the same position at different salary levels.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No one taxes a renter. That renter has every right to find a new place to live. Selling your home is nowhere near as easy as moving out of a rental.

You think property taxes have zero cost on renters? I presume you have never owned rental property. and have you ever heard of a NNN ('triple net') lease?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Whoa! I wasn't commenting on whether it's right or wrong, I was responding to the member's comment about retirees having to sell their homes because they couldn't afford the taxes.

As for renter's. Not sure what state you are talking about but landlords in this state aren't raising the rent because taxes are out of control. The max is 2% a year and even that hasn't been the case in the past five years since property taxes fell.

Chances are, those people you were working with, doing the same job, had been on the job longer than you. They receive annual step increases (in pay). They continue to receive those step increases until they reach the top of their job classification. That's how government jobs work. As for you income tax . . . Your flat tax would be based on your income, not your co-worker's or whether you both hold the same position at different salary levels.

Like many other states, Michigan has a cap on annual property tax increases...but Michigan also has a 'nonhomestead tax' on rental property, plus a Headlee Amendment which limits taxes and also allows voters the option of overriding the Headlee tax limit.

The glorious result of all the above is that voters (homeowners) routinely vote to override the Headlee limitation on the nonhomestead tax, but never vote to override the limitation on their own property taxes. Isn't that special?

Most but not all of the 5x janitors I worked with had been on the job longer than I. The pay range for janitors was small and so were the step increases. The 5x janitors received 3x my hourly wage, plus the equivalent of 2x in the form of generous fringe benefits not available to me. I actually did harder work (floor care, cleaning restrooms) than the 5x janitors, who mostly emptied office wastebaskets. My position is that since we had the same job and did more or less similar work, I should not have to pay a higher effective tax rate than they pay, and the flat tax caused me to pay a higher effective tax rate than they.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:19 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,197,368 times
Quote:
You think property taxes have zero cost on renters? I presume you have never owned rental property. and have you ever heard of a NNN ('triple net') lease?
A renter has every right to not pay and leave. A homeowner cannot do that. you can't have all of the benefits of renting and none of the downsides.

If you don't like renting, stop renting and buy a place.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,796,471 times
Property tax.

It is not so much the tax, but the way it is used as a tool by the gov to take your property.

The tax is not based on a person's ability to pay.

The tax is not fairly distributed; it is based on the value of a home, not the services consumed by the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies