Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:53 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
^^^Millennials are roughly born between 1983 and 2000. I would say having a 90s childhood is one of the core qualifications for being a millennial so I would say if you were under 10 at any point in the 1990s, you qualify. Late millennials had more of an early '00s childhood but culturally they are not much different from the twentysomethings so they fit. Generation Z is pretty much post 9/11 babies.

Millennials today really romanticize the 1990s.

They romanticize about the time when they were under 10?

Don't most people romanticisize about the time when they were a little older, like when they were in high school and got their driver's license or first piece of a$$?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:16 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
^^^Millennials are roughly born between 1983 and 2000. I would say having a 90s childhood is one of the core qualifications for being a millennial so I would say if you were under 10 at any point in the 1990s, you qualify. Late millennials had more of an early '00s childhood but culturally they are not much different from the twentysomethings so they fit. Generation Z is pretty much post 9/11 babies.

Millennials today really romanticize the 1990s.
I sure don't, and I am a classic 90s child. The 90s kind of sucked in a cultural enrichment sense when compared to the decades prior or the decades following. From the movies, to the music, to the hair it was a pretty lame decade.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
I'd say that's a pretty fair assessement.

I'd also say that the milennials won't be the same people they are now in another twenty years. Life has a way of changing you over time. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Hopefully the millenials will recognize the value in fiscal sanity and take corrective actions.

is the millenial generation over yet? My son is 2. Is he a millenial or something else? Generation Z perhaps? Generation Z sounds cool. It has that end of the line kind of feeling to it. Maybe it's generation Z that finally starts dropping nukes on each other's heads. As you guys can probably tell I ultimately do not have as much faith in humanity as some of you have or to put it more accurately I do not have as much faith in all of humanity. Despite the fact that there are a lot of decent, compassionate people in the world it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest of us.
Why the hell do you want nukes to be dropped on anybody? That is the second time you have brought this desire of yours up in this thread.

And I don't believe you when you said you graduated from college. Not for a second. Your posts are so riddled with non-sense there is no way you could have graduated from any reputable institution of higher learning.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
The generation we love to dump on (Yes folks, millennials)

Actually, it's the Boomers that are constantly being dumped on.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:48 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
I'm an X'er and I can't stand the whiney little pissants that make up the millennial generation.

Every time I see some rude millennial texting on their cellphone while they're actually engaged in a conversation with someone it makes me want to drop them with a left hook.
HA!
I always love when tough guys claim that they're going to hit someone as if there's not going to be any repercussions.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM

3,529 posts, read 3,732,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I sure don't, and I am a classic 90s child. The 90s kind of sucked in a cultural enrichment sense when compared to the decades prior or the decades following. From the movies, to the music, to the hair it was a pretty lame decade.
You're kidding, right? The quality of 90s music, even the mainstream stuff, beats the pants off of the crap that is put out today. You needed talent in the 90s, something that is absent in most of today's popular music. I will say that music is getting a little better these days, but you can have the mostly forgettable music of the 2000s (from about 2001-2010). Now, I like my Internet, the ease of use of technology and the fact that things are more efficient than they were in the 90s, but if you want to talk about fashion, then the 80s are the decade you should be picking on. You're probably thinking about the early-90s with some of the fashion sense. The hair/fashion in the 90s was fine. A lot of people today look sloppy. Overall, later in the decade things were rockin' for a good portion of the country, even if looking back now a lot of it was bubble-oriented and papered over.

One thing I will say is the millennials were handed a steaming pile to deal with, and it is the Boomers who refused to grow up in a lot of cases. They got the party, millennials got the clean-up. That said, if millennials feel that they're too good to take a job because they feel they should be handed a better one, then I have no sympathy for them. Instead of trying to fix major problems, it seems that millennials are blowing a lot of their political capital on social issues.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
You're kidding, right? The quality of 90s music, even the mainstream stuff, beats the pants off of the crap that is put out today. You needed talent in the 90s, something that is absent in most of today's popular music. I will say that music is getting a little better these days, but you can have the mostly forgettable music of the 2000s (from about 2001-2010). Now, I like my Internet, the ease of use of technology and the fact that things are more efficient than they were in the 90s, but if you want to talk about fashion, then the 80s are the decade you should be picking on. You're probably thinking about the early-90s with some of the fashion sense. The hair/fashion in the 90s was fine. A lot of people today look sloppy. Overall, later in the decade things were rockin' for a good portion of the country, even if looking back now a lot of it was bubble-oriented and papered over.

One thing I will say is the millennials were handed a steaming pile to deal with, and it is the Boomers who refused to grow up in a lot of cases. They got the party, millennials got the clean-up. That said, if millennials feel that they're too good to take a job because they feel they should be handed a better one, then I have no sympathy for them. Instead of trying to fix major problems, it seems that millennials are blowing a lot of their political capital on social issues.
I actually really loved the top 40 music from the past decade. It has been really kind to the dance/party/club goer type that I am though. lol.

90s hair was so so so bad. Especially for the men! lol! Remember how for a while all the guy celebs were bleaching just the tip point of their hair? What was up with that.

Latest hairstyle and haircutshairstyles for men 90's | Latest hairstyle and haircuts

I have to a tee the exact same hair color and form as Brad Pitt. I think of myself with that hair cut and almost faint. lol.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
It's called multi tasking
I'm an excellent multi-tasker (it's a huge part of my job), and even I can't handle doing much else while texting. I bet those TWO separate texting drivers who almost hit me on the freeway yesterday also thought they could multitask, but their swerving into my lane tells me otherwise.

As for the millennials, I don't dump on any generation in particular - I do my best to judge people as individuals instead. I'm from Gen X myself, and we have our share of losers too.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:27 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Oh no you didn't!!!

I'll give you that the hair & fashion wasn't always fabulous (better than the '80s, though), but the music & movies were mostly fantastic - especially compared to the crap we've had since. Oh geez, did I just make myself sound like an old person? Yikes.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:34 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
1927-1945 - Silent Generation or Traditionalists1946-1964 - Baby Boomers1965-1983 - Gen X or the Busters1984- 2002 - Gen Y or the Millennials2003- Current Gen Z or the Digital Generation*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies