Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:21 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times

Advertisements

A lot of those had me laughing at how clueless and just plain stupid the author is. There are convenience stores every where in most of Western Europe, the US has without a doubt the worst wireless network in the 1st world yet the author seems completely unaware of this, many western European nation's have smoking bans in places and have for over a decade now, and don't even get me started about his whining over ketchup and junk food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 06:48 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
There were outdoor urinals in Paris like that as late as the 1980s, but I haven't seen one there for around 25 years now. (EDIT: I just did some reading on it, and there's ONE left in the entire city).
One left? I bet the queue's enormous.

Quote:
If you want to complain about "body fluids" in Paris, you'd have a legitimate gripe with dog poo. It used to be everywhere--you'd have to walk looking down to make sure you didn't step in anything. It's much much better than it used to be--they started fining dog owners who didn't clean up after their pets--but it's still on the sidewalk on occasion...
They shipped it all to Amsterdam, if memory serves.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
or drunk American high school and college kids who think it's ok to act like complete a**hats when they're away from home...
Oh, you don't have to be American, just in high school. But there was so much beer, and it was all so good . . .

Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
There were outdoor urinals in Paris like that as late as the 1980s, but I haven't seen one there for around 25 years now. (EDIT: I just did some reading on it, and there's ONE left in the entire city). The ones I saw were in the Montemarte area, which is a party area. It was better to have drunk college student tourists pee in the urinals than on the street.
Well, first of all, I took this photo last week and it was in St. Denis near the Basilica, it was also portable. Secondly, when I went to the Koninginnedag (Queen's Day Celebration) in Amsterdam a couple of years back, they were all over the place. Drunk guys sauntering up to these pyramid shaped urinals in broad daylight while children strolled by.

BTW, these were local drunk college students, they were speaking Dutch.

Quote:
If you want to complain about "body fluids" in Paris, you'd have a legitimate gripe with dog poo. It used to be everywhere--you'd have to walk looking down to make sure you didn't step in anything. It's much much better than it used to be--they started fining dog owners who didn't clean up after their pets--but it's still on the sidewalk on occasion...
The poo is still there, but everyone in Paris has toy dogs so the poo that collects in the tree pits is not nearly so noticeable.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
or drunk American high school and college kids who think it's ok to act like complete a**hats when they're away from home...
It's not Cancun for God's sake!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
A lot of those had me laughing at how clueless and just plain stupid the author is. There are convenience stores every where in most of Western Europe, the US has without a doubt the worst wireless network in the 1st world yet the author seems completely unaware of this, many western European nation's have smoking bans in places and have for over a decade now, and don't even get me started about his whining over ketchup and junk food.
Not only is the US among the worst wireless providers in the world, but it's ridiculously expensive.
I had better internet in backcountry Laos than I usually find in the US unless I want to pay $70/month (in my area when I move back).

Last edited by chielgirl; 07-16-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Not only is the US among the worst wireless providers in the world, but it's ridiculously expensive.
I had better internet in backcountry Laos than I usually find in the US unless I want to pay $70/month (in my area when I move back).
I don't know where your area is but it costs $40/month to be hardwired here in Boston. That's about the national average.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:37 PM

742 posts, read 678,284 times
Wow, firecracker assaults, geez, okay...

Anyway the list is pretty...lame. Dunno how it got so much attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies