Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Repeal "Stand your Ground" laws?
Yes 64 32.16%
No 135 67.84%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:53 AM

690 posts, read 963,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That's Florida for you, you want to harm someone, make sure you kill the person so you can claim it was in self defense and the other person can't disagree.
lol so true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 09:55 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
because i dont wan think about gettin robbed and shot and killed and then the criminal will say he thought i was a threat and be free, while nobod will even know he was tryin to rob me
jus one reason off the top of my head

stand your ground is not for the criminal, it is for the law abiding. killing someone in the commission of a crime is still a crime.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:55 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
We already have "castle" laws that protect you when your in your residence. Or if your attacked.

The Zimmerman case was neither. He picked a fight over an assumption, said that he was losing the fight, and then shot an innocent man.

So this should set precedent that if your getting your a*s kicked in a fight you can shoot the other person if you feel your life is in danger. Even if you started the fight.
I predict that SYG laws are going to come under very heavy scrutiny in every state - as a result of this trial and the media attention.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
lol so true
No, so stupid!

Old 07-14-2013, 09:58 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I predict that SYG laws are going to come under very heavy scrutiny in every state - as a result of this trial and the media attention.

I don't believe SYG will come under any scrutiny at all. the states will say the GZ case just proved that the system works and that SYG laws do in fact work.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I don't think so. In Texas, you can even shoot someone you perceive as a threat if they are in your yard at night, and you don't have to drag the corpse into your home like they tell you to do in other states.

Zimmerman and Martin isn't a particularly good case for anything. It looks more like a fight taken too far, probably either one could have retreated but neither chose to do so. No good witnesses.

There are too many other cases where waiting for police would be a terrible mistake.

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/279...n-self-defense

A McMinn county man was shot and killed by his wife on Saturday within 15 minutes of leaving jail after he was arrested earlier in the day.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
stand your ground is not for the criminal, it is for the law abiding. killing someone in the commission of a crime is still a crime.
yea but its so easy to lie and say one wasnt a criminal, dont u get it? he is the only one with the story

Old 07-14-2013, 10:02 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
So I guess anyone who defends himself/herself is already guilty of murder because the other side can't give their version... liberal idiocy...

Old 07-14-2013, 10:07 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Not true:

"When Gerald Terrell Jones shot his marijuana dealer in the face in Brandon this year, he was charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault. A jury later acquitted him. But a judge had rejected Jones' "stand your ground'' motion, in part, because he was committing a crime at the time.

Elsewhere in the state, drug dealers have successfully invoked "stand your ground" even though they were in the middle of a deal when the shooting started.

In Daytona Beach, for example, police Chief Mike Chitwood used the "stand your ground" law as the rationale for not filing charges in two drug deals that ended in deaths. He said he was prevented from going forward because the accused shooters had permits to carry concealed weapons and they claimed they were defending themselves at the time."
Florida 'stand your ground' law yields some shocking outcomes depending on how law is applied | Tampa Bay Times

Old 07-14-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
So I guess anyone who defends himself/herself is already guilty of murder because the other side can't give their version... liberal idiocy...
no, im jus sayin the possibilities for abuse of this law are endless
if u dont see it then ur not too sharp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies