Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 AM

326 posts, read 471,808 times

Advertisements

do you think Obama and Bush should be tried for giving complete disregard to the US constitution ??

i mean, you can go through every amendment and there is evidence of it being abused in some way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 03:10 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,725,093 times
You're substituting your personal opinion, shaped by your antipathy for what they did rather than by a comprehensive and nuanced understanding of the reality of our nation's laws, to rationalize your accusations. If I followed you around for a day, I could dumb many things down to make your actions seems like a litany of offenses and crimes. That doesn't make you a criminal.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,218,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
do you think Obama and Bush should be tried for giving complete disregard to the US constitution ??

i mean, you can go through every amendment and there is evidence of it being abused in some way or another.
Rich people rarely go to jail, cest la vie

Old 07-15-2013, 05:50 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,005,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Rich people rarely go to jail, cest la vie
Bernard Madoff who made off with other peoples money would disagree...

Old 08-14-2013, 04:57 PM

326 posts, read 471,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You're substituting your personal opinion, shaped by your antipathy for what they did rather than by a comprehensive and nuanced understanding of the reality of our nation's laws, to rationalize your accusations. If I followed you around for a day, I could dumb many things down to make your actions seems like a litany of offenses and crimes. That doesn't make you a criminal.
haha, the difference is when you follow me, i'm a criminal if i break any law made by Obama/Bush.. eg.. according to Bush/Obama.. i'm a criminal if i don't pay taxes, i'm on the same level as a murderer or a rapist.. the reason why the USA had a revolution against the british empire was because of taxes.. it should be if i do anything that contradicts the constitution, which had turned the USA from a poor war torn nation with a GDP 1% of the most powerful country at the time, to one of the most powerful by a significant margin. why would you want to accept going back into the tyranny that the founders had fought against ??

Old 08-14-2013, 05:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,828,756 times
Quote:
haha, the difference is when you follow me, i'm a criminal if i break any law made by Obama/Bush.. eg.. according to Bush/Obama.. i'm a criminal if i don't pay taxes, i'm on the same level as a murderer or a rapist.. the reason why the USA had a revolution against the british empire was because of taxes.. it should be if i do anything that contradicts the constitution, which had turned the USA from a poor war torn nation with a GDP 1% of the most powerful country at the time, to one of the most powerful by a significant margin. why would you want to accept going back into the tyranny that the founders had fought against ??
Last I checked the constitution enabled government to tax the people

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises"

Old 08-14-2013, 05:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,723,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Last I checked the constitution enabled government to tax the people

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises"

Taxed equally, not progressively.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:05 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,102,670 times
Quote:
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12
There will always be a natural tension between what any government wants to do and what it can do. We already have the best checks and balances on the planet for managing that tension.

This is why we are the oldest Constitutional republic in existence after San Marino.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:18 PM

580 posts, read 450,727 times
Quote:

Here you go. This should make it easier for you to organize your evidence...

Amendment I
Freedom of Religion, Speech and the Press; Rights of Assembly and Petition.

Amendment II
- Right to Bear Arms

Amendment III

Housing of Soldiers

Amendment IV

Search and Seizure

Amendment V

- Rights of the accused (Self-incrimination, Double Jeopardy, Due Process, Just Compensation

Amendment VI
- Rights to a Fair Trial (Speedy and Public Trial by Jury)

Amendment VII

- Rights in Civil Cases (Trial by jury in civil cases over $20)

Amendment VIII
Cruel and Unusual Punishment

Amendment IX
Rights Retained by the People. Any rights not listed in the Constitution are still protected

Amendment X
Powers Retained by the States and the People

Amendment XI

Lawsuits Against States

Amendment XII
Election of President and Vice President

Amendment XIII
Abolition of Slavery

Amendment XIV
- Civil Rights

Amendment XV

African American Suffrage

Amendment XVI
Income Taxes.Congress has the power to lay and collect taxes on incomes

Amendment XVII
- Direct Election of Senators

Amendment XVIII

- Prohibition of Liquor

Amendment XIX

- Womens Suffrage. Gives women the power to vote

Amendment XX
- Terms of President and Congress

Amendment XXI

-
Repeal of Prohibition. Repeals the 18th amendment.

Amendment XXII

- Limitation of Presidents to Two Terms

Amendment XXIII

- Suffrage in the District of Columbia

Amendment XXIV

-Poll Taxes. Forbids making voters pay a poll tax before they can vote in a national election

Amendment XXV

- Presidential Disability and Succession

Amendment XXVI
- Suffrage for 18-Year-Olds

Amendment XXVII

- Congressional Pay Raises

Old 08-14-2013, 08:43 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,969,997 times
Quote:

Then you should produce the evidence that proves either has vilolated the Consitution and we shall see what Congress and the Supreme Court say on the matter, until then ..........................................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies