Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 05:22 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
how long is he gone for
That is up to the judge.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:23 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,778,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
his self defense case was stronger than Zimmerman's.
That depends on if he was lying about seeing a shotgun pointing at him from the car, and on whether the kids in the car were lying when they said there was no gun and they did NOT use the two days between the killing and the police examination, to get rid of one.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
If there was a shotgun pointing at the guy when he shot the kid, then it would be a case of self-defense and he would be not guilty of 2nd (or 1st) degree murder.

But when he kept shooting at the car as it sped away, that was not self-defense, even if there was a shotgun somewhere in the car. That's where he is guilty of attempted 2nd degree murder.

Sounds to me like the jury couldn't agree on whether there was a shotgun pointing at the guy when he shot the kid.

The cops never checked the scene of the killing, or the car, or the other occupants of the car, until two days after the killing. Perhaps there was never a shotgun or any other weapon in the car at all. Or perhaps there was, and the kids used the two days to get rid of it, so when the cops showed up they could claim innocence. I have no idea which way it actually went.
Sounds like a reasonable analysis.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:26 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,778,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, they had to be deadlocked on 1st or 2nd degree though I do not understand why if you convict of 2nd degree attempted murder you would not also convict of 2nd degree murder.
If there was a shotgun pointing at the guy when he shot the kid, then it would be a case of self-defense and he would be not guilty of 2nd (or 1st) degree murder.

But when he kept shooting at the car as it sped away, that was not self-defense, even if there was a shotgun somewhere in the car. That's where he is guilty of attempted 2nd degree murder.

Sounds to me like the jury couldn't agree on whether there was a shotgun pointing at the guy when he shot the kid.

If I'm recalling this correctly, the cops never checked the scene of the killing, or the car, or the other occupants of the car, until two days after the killing (is that correct?). Perhaps there was never a shotgun or any other weapon in the car at all. Or perhaps there was, and the kids used the two days to get rid of it, so when the cops showed up they could claim innocence. I have no idea which way it actually went.

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:

The cops never checked the scene of the killing, or the car, or the other occupants of the car, until two days after the killing. Perhaps there was never a shotgun or any other weapon in the car at all. Or perhaps there was, and the kids used the two days to get rid of it, so when the cops showed up they could claim innocence. I have no idea which way it actually went.
The police didn't know to look for a gun because the only person who claimed to see a gun ran and never called the police. They took the car immediately, it was searched and impounded for processing that night. How did the kids have two days to get a gun out of a car that was in the police's possession?

24,507 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
o'mara just said the sentences are consecutive, he's gone for 60 years, life sentence.

i feel good.
Yes, a legal analyst on radio station KNX 1070 AM came to the same conclusion... 60 years, which is essentially a life sentence. One thing for sure, the accused/guilty person did a real dumb thing!

Old 02-15-2014, 05:27 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,381,054 times
Quote:
That depends on if he was lying about seeing a shotgun pointing at him from the car, and on whether the kids in the car were lying when they said there was no gun and they did NOT use the two days between the killing and the police examination, to get rid of one.
That is speculation. The facts do not support his version of the events. That is why the prosecution case was solid.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:29 PM

29 posts, read 106,927 times
I didn't study this trial like the George Zimmerman trial, but just from what I heard on the news, I was pretty sure they'd find him guilty IF what I had heard on the news was true. The Zimmerman trial taught me not to trust **** from the media when it comes to something that they're trying to prop up as race-related...

but yeah, the second the jury asked if the entire trial would be mis-tried if they couldn't agree on a verdict on the 1st degree charge, I knew he'd be found guilty of the other charges. Obvious... there was no reason to ask a question like that if they hadn't already convicted him on the other charges...

basically though, this also means that if the kid had been in the truck himself, Dunn would've walked a free-man.... funny how that worked out.

Annnnd of course Benjamin Crump is on the news making crap up again. Damn I hate that dude. The more I watch him speak, the dumber I get...

Old 02-15-2014, 05:30 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,381,054 times
This is one case where mandatory minimums are a good thing. Farewell, Mr.Dunn.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The police didn't know to look for a gun because the only person who claimed to see a gun ran and never called the police. They took the car immediately, it was searched and impounded for processing that night. How did the kids have two days to get a gun out of a car that was in the police's possession?
Harrier doesn't think that is the point.

Since the jury couldn't be entirely sure that there was a shotgun, there was enough of a reasonable doubt to not convict in the minds of some jurors.

As much as we would like to have everything wrapped up in a nice little bundle, things are often messier.

The jury did the best that they could with what they were given - and should be commended for their patience, diligence, and analysis of the evidence.

Throw in some breadsticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.