Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 05:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think it's gross, but I'm not sure. The court isn't going to look at garnishments most likely, but they might look at tax rate. I think I heard the 20% is taken out after taxes.

why then do conservatives keep saying poor people should get married? it's clearly a very dangerous proposition for poor men where paternal presumption is not rebuttable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 05:54 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I make $1000 a month with a $100 student loan garnishment, I don't know how I'd get by with another $200 ding every month.
Easy: Don't have kids.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Public transportation, walk, get a ride from a coworker and help cover the gas??

Sorry if I sound rough on the subject, I raised my 2 children as a divorced dad, and I am still owed over $7000. I know what it's like from the OTHER side. I wasn't even asking for much, $250 per child per month. There are people who would love to pay that little. I had a full time job, then there was the job of taking care of my children, along with part time work at home job to earn more money, so I could do more for my kids. Seriously, have you seen how much money you can burn through keeping 2 kids in clothes that fit while they are growing? AND, School supplies, it's no longer a notebook, paper, pens and a knapsack, it's binders with brads, binders without brads, binders with brads and pockets, binders without brads and pockets, several notebooks, some composition books, black pens, blue pens, erasable ink pinds, non-erasable ink pens, etc etc ad nauseam. The last time I bought school supplies the paper was the whole front, and half of the back, and cost over 200$, and that was buying at discount places and sales.

Had I gone to court and used the charts setup by the Commonwealth of Va, she would have been paying even more.

So, MAYBE, he should support his children, and get his license back? If he needs more money, get a second job, or a part time job? As a parent on the other side of the coin, he gets ZERO sympathy from me.
A little OT but Staples has great back to school sales...right now actually. I stock up like crazy, and drag my kids in too

Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
why then do conservatives keep saying poor people should get married? it's clearly a very dangerous proposition for poor men where paternal presumption is not rebuttable.
Having kids in America is risky anyway. (20%-50% of your income) Many western countries are better than the USA when it comes to child support though. Having kids when you are married does leave room for dispute as long as you file the dispute within the available time frame.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:34 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
Quote:
Okay, I know the company is on the hook for those fees, I was assuming drivers signed something making them responsible for those charges, where the company had recourse from the driver.
Even if they signed that, it's illegal null&void document, companies know that but revolving door of the fresh suckers makes it tempting to pull a fast one on the most desperate workers (the ones who need a job at all costs). They can fire a driver for not "Following company policy" i.e. refusing extortion scheme, they cannot force a driver to pay once he's fired. They need him working there to pay "the fine". There are quite a few desperate souls who do just that. The scheme reminds me a West Virginia company town blown up to national proportions.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
If your license is suspended and you can't get to work and you are fired, how do you 'prove' that you don't have the ability to pay? How do you prove that you have no income? I disagree with the formula used to determine fair and reasonable, so I would probably have a problem with most calculations.

Consider hypothetical rent of $500 for a 1BR apt and $600 for a 2BR apt. The custodial parent is usually considered to be providing $300 housing support - and therefore getting a $200 personal subsidy - rather than the $100 marginal cost of the child's bedroom.

And if the deadbeat isn't the father is he still a deadbeat?
Why do you keep going round and round with this "what if" scenarios to find some sort of loophole where a parent shouldn't be responsible for financially supporting their child?

Let's consider this hypothetical: the custodial parent is working and doesn't qualify for any government assistance because they make too much money BUT they are dependent upon the extra income from the noncustodial parent. When the noncustodial parent just decides they are unable to pay based on any one of the scenarios you posted here how does the kid eat?

You keep making the noncustodial parent who is not paying child support for whatever reason out to be the victim but the person who really suffers is the child.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I paid child support for many years. Never missed a month. In fact, I paid thousands in excess of the court ordered amount because I cared about my son and daughter. A divorce doesn't end parenthood. Men with children are supposed to provide. Your friend needs to stop pitying himself and be a man.
Amen, the underlined is what it is about. The OP's friend should do whatever he needs to in order to fulfill 100% of his parental obligations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies