Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:32 PM

111 posts, read 107,503 times

Advertisements

I just had somebody I know that told me his drivers license was suspended over child support. I can hardly believe that! I always thought a drivers license could only be suspended for traffic violations. How is child support even remotely related to a drivers license? Seems to me his rights are being violated because driving is a right or it should be. How is he supposed to work and earn a living or money to even begin to pay whatever child support he owes if he cannot drive to work? I told him he ought to see a lawyer because that doesn't sound right to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 08:36 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Joe View Post
I just had somebody I know that told me his drivers license was suspended over child support. I can hardly believe that! I always thought a drivers license could only be suspended for traffic violations. How is child support even remotely related to a drivers license? Seems to me his rights are being violated because driving is a right or it should be. How is he supposed to work and earn a living or money to even begin to pay whatever child support he owes if he cannot drive to work? I told him he ought to see a lawyer because that doesn't sound right to me
If he was paying child support it wouldn't have been suspended. Most of the time the state only takes actions like that if the child is receiving government assistance. And if he has a court order to pay child support and is giving her cash or items without keeping receipts then he's an idiot. I mean really who has sympathy for someone who makes a baby and then doesn't financially support it? So now you can't drive around; life sucks, eh?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:37 PM

348 posts, read 336,628 times
"Try and earn your child support now!!!" (or go directly to jail and work for below minimum wage)

Old 07-14-2013, 08:42 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
If he was paying child support it wouldn't have been suspended. Most of the time the state only takes actions like that if the child is receiving government assistance. And if he has a court order to pay child support and is giving her cash or items without keeping receipts then he's an idiot. I mean really who has sympathy for someone who makes a baby and then doesn't financially support it? So now you can't drive around; life sucks, eh?
Exactly..keep EVERY receipt and copies in triplicate...you cannot even get a commercial fishing license in this state with back child support on the books..I've tried to hire a half dozen guys now for fishing and can't get a dipchit past the IDNR licensing div. due to the idiots having child support issues

Old 07-14-2013, 08:42 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Quote:
That is something that can happen when you haven't paid you child support, especially if the state is having to provide for those children. Food stamps, medical, etc.

They can also take a person's proessional license, their hunting license and tax returns too.
He can see a lawyer...But it might be better if he paid that money towards his past due child support.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:46 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
That is something that can happen when you haven't paid you child support, especially if the state is having to provide for those children. Food stamps, medical, etc.

They can also take a person's proessional license, their hunting license and tax returns too.
He can see a lawyer...But it might be better if he paid that money towards his past due child support.
People never see paying the child support as an option. Like you said this is caused by having PAST DUE child support. Not Monday she took you to court, Tuesday your license was suspended. You've had time to drive around, work and pay child support but you elected not to. Had a friend who tried to take a trip for his honeymoon and at the airport they revoked his passport due to child support...he owed like 12K and it was everyone's fault but his...no sympathy for deadbeats.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 PM

151 posts, read 404,848 times
You know what I learn from stories like this? Be careful who you sleep with and always use protection. I'm not trying to pay a momthly child support payment for 18 years.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,883 times
What state did this? They should be congratulated.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,194 times
Quote:
As other posters pointed out this is legitimate. If he continues to not pay he will end up in jail and they will keep him there until he pays.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
I think most states do this these days. But, it does take quite a back balance, we aren't usaually talking a few payments, we're talking a long time of non-payment. Also, it might be because he is getting paid under the table or something, because they will almost always garnish someone who is two months behind...unless they can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies