U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How is the Economy in your hometown?
The economy is great, jobs are available to anyone and business is great 21 48.84%
I would say the economy is average in my hometown 10 23.26%
I miss the boom days of the late 1990s- things are slow nowadays 3 6.98%
We are in a full blown ECONOMIC RECESSION in my hometown 9 20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:25 AM

9,715 posts, read 13,290,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Wow, there are only two Starbucks here, they are each about 30 minutes from us. In fact there isn't one nice coffee shop in this town of 15.000, only Dunkin Donuts - yikes.
I live in a town with plenty of Starbucks, but what is really crazy is that there is a no-name coffee shop that gets like a zillion people. I don't know what they sell, but I told a friend that it must be crank because they are LOADED with customers!! All day and all night! I think they put pomegranite juice in coffee -- or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 09:17 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,873,983 times
Wouldn't hurt to give an indication of sarcasm or jocularity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Or you can simply kneel before the magnitude of my financial wisdom and greateness and be honored that I respond to such insignificant mortals.
seriously...great comeback
That's what I like about the forum. I truly expect the other poster to come back and say I am full of sh*t and lay down an argument. That's cool, that's what this forum is about.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:18 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,726,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
The economy's booming? Then why has the Dow slid about 800 points in the last week or so?

Lowe's isn't the best indicator but for a place like Florida it is a good one because we had a real-estate growth economy. Real estate provided alot of jobs directly and indirectly. Next year the foreclosures are really going to start up.

Starbucks also isn't a good indicator for reasons somebody else mentioned. Coffee, cigarettes, and cheap entertainment are often the last things to go during a recession- people often cut back in less fun things that are just as discretionary- they'll buy Brand X instead of whatever the marketters tell them, they'll cut coupons or whatever. Microsoft launched the XBox, after all, during the last recession and it did OK, because a game console is relatively cheap entertainment value compared to a vacation trip.

We've had a crap economy for 6 years propped up by record low interest rates, nothing more. There's been not much real growth since the dot-com bubble, which I think wasn't so much a bubble as Alan Greenspan disciplining the working classes and killing the party with interest rates. Petfood over the net died but Amizon and eBay have turned out pretty good, haven't they?

I agree. this is evident in large cities too.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:44 PM

12,162 posts, read 18,321,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Wouldn't hurt to give an indication of sarcasm or jocularity!
Hey I haven't used "emoticons" since the last century in a forum. Those silly smiley faces are just soooo.....90's.
I will tend to use an occasions "HAHAHA" every so often, that's about as far as I go in the jocularity expression.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:48 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,873,983 times
Just a thought: It might be worth the effort and avoid bad feelings and misunderstandings; without them, folks are likely to see personal attacks when in fact we may be seeing, unsighted, sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Hey I haven't used "emoticons" since the last century in a forum. Those silly smiley faces are just soooo.....90's.
I will tend to use an occasions "HAHAHA" every so often, that's about as far as I go in the jocularity expression.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:31 PM

19,495 posts, read 20,840,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Just a thought: It might be worth the effort and avoid bad feelings and misunderstandings; without them, folks are likely to see personal attacks when in fact we may be seeing, unsighted, sarcasm.
Maybe it's partly the responsibility of people to become less easily aggrieved and quick to perceive ill-feeling where none is intended.

In fact, I think the whole country needs to lighten up. And, dare I add, caffeine down.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:57 PM

14,747 posts, read 13,256,936 times
Quote:
The economy's booming? Then why has the Dow slid about 800 points in the last week or so?
Actually the stock market is undecided which way the economy is going or if a recession is coming. When it lost big time last summer, it soon came right back and resumed setting all time highs, however briefly. If the stock market goes down even lower than it did last summer and fails to rally on up to all time highs, then that will be a bad sign of things to come, for sure.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:02 PM

19,495 posts, read 20,840,695 times
Quote:
LOL. Gotta love it.

When I posted the good news about the stock market a couple of weeks ago, your side was all over me, just poo-poohing the hell out of the market's accuracy as an indicator of general economic health.

Now that the Dow's down, voila! It's your favorite number!

What fools we mortals be...

Old 11-10-2007, 04:43 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,222,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I agree. People are buying smaller items. People are browsing, not spending; Steinmart/Petsmart everywhere yesterday- It is definitely a recession.

Plain ignorant.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:00 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,726,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Maybe it's partly the responsibility of people to become less easily aggrieved and quick to perceive ill-feeling where none is intended.

In fact, I think the whole country needs to lighten up. And, dare I add, caffeine down.
This is a lofty goal- it cannot occur until Bush is out. When people die in a meaningless war, it is not a time to "lighten up"".

Some of us actually care about injustice. And we have free speech, you cannot control it with blanket insults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies