Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Victoriapunk,
W.E.B DuBois and Neil Degrasse Tyson would whoop your ass if they read your foolishness.

Sigh.

If you are of black heritage and have an an experience then that is the black experience. You can't blanket people.

Okay, but I am mostly Italian...so, do I have the Italian American experience? (no Jersey Shores jokes, please, as that is the Italian-American equivalent of a minstrel show)

And is a black goth kid living in Iowa having "the black experience"? Is an African immigrant studying engineering also having "the black experience?" If yes, than what the hell unites their experience as THE experienceif they are so different? We might as well have the redhead experience for crying out loud! Well, they all must contend with 'slap a ginger day'. No Justice, no peace....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
But you don't want to know what it is. You want to separate yourself from the "black experience." Why don't you just admit it.

Mohawk's post was right on and gave me chills and it went way over your head.
Just the same race-baiting tripe, nothing to see there.

Quote:
The black experience is the common experience shared by black people in America where other Americans and even people in other countries think that we think, act, behave, and live in a particular way. We experience it by combatting stereotypes and living our lives the best way we know how.

You are actually a part of the black experience in a way since many "black" people in the past were half black, half white. They had to deal with both black and white stereotypes of not being white but not being "black enough." The bi-racial experience is a part of the "black experience."
It is mulatto, not biracial. Biracial is not a group, mulatto is. If that is offensive (who decides what is or is not defensive, anyway?) I could say "Pardo," which is what we're called in Brazil.

And please spare me, SPARE ME mention of "the past." In the past, I, who came out of a Roman mother, would be considered a Roman citizen. That was before racism as we know it today. I would be expected to join the legion and go up north to Gaul, Iberia, or Britain and beat up and enslave some barbarians.

So...do I have the "Roman Empire" experience? That was the past. What, do we arbitrarily draw a line in time and say that what happened a hundred years ago counts, but what happened 2,000 years ago doesn't?

Quote:
I deal with things similar to you, I don't like particular music people think I should like (I like jazz, classic rock, classical music, R&B, old school Soul music, and some Pop music - not just R&B and rap, though I do like old school hip hop and some artist like Talib Kweli in the hip-hop realm, I also like gospel even though I am an atheist because they are great singers and I grew up in a religious household). Like I mentioned I am an atheist black woman. People here in the south constantly ask me what church I go too, especially black people - but I don't denigrate them, it is just strange for them to meet a black atheist woman. I am educated (but people assume I am uneducated and on public assistance). I am married (but people assume I'm a single mom). I have a full time career that I thoroughly enjoy. I am a political moderate (though I do feel I lean left on some major positions like healthcare especially). I am a proponent of self-reliance. I could go on and on.

I am black and that is my experience. Dealing with the misperceptions of others about me is something I share with other black people and that is our black experience.
Funny thing is, it's only blacks who, upon finding out that I'm half black, expect me to be a "home boy" who "keeps it real" and votes for Obama Whites? Asians? Latinos? They never seem to assume.

And if guilt by association means a "black experience" than I suppose blondes who hear dumb blonde jokes share "the blonde experience"

Old 08-05-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Yes, the start of ALL racial problems for black Americans started with rap music and sagging pants. If they get into goth and dress funny the problem will be solved. So what exactly was the problem with blacks prior to 1980 or so?
That was THE PAST! A hundred years ago has no bearing on today...if we're going to go back that far, I might as well go back further to my Roman ancestors.

Quote:
Blacks and black men in particular have always been labeled as thugs since they got off the boat. Hip-hop didn't start that. The youngest person ever excuted for murder (which he very likely did NOT do) was a 90lb 14-year-old black kid who was accused of being able to lift 1/5th of his body weight to bludgeon not one but TWO white girls. Should we blame Jay-Z for that one too?
Ancient history. Why not just blame Iberia's weakness in fending off my ancestors for Spain's debt crisis while we're at it?

Roman conquest of Hispania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Not to say that black people don't do their fair share of bad things but it seems as though you ascribe all good to white and all bad to blacks.
In the year 2013, it is the blacks and their ghetto culture that is holding them back, not an imaginary man behind a desk pushing the buttons that run the world or things that happened a hundred years ago. I don't see the French, British or Spaniards blaming Italians for their problems, even though the Italians conquered and enslaved them long ago. I don't see the Koreans blaming the Japanese for their problems, even they Japan conquered and enslaved them long ago. The blacks? 200 years later, and they still blame slavery for 16 year old Tyrone getting 15 year old Bon Qui qui pregnant

Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

Here it is again:
"Fast-forward to November 2006 and in a 2006 Zogby International poll, 55% of whites considered Obama as biracial after being told that Obama's mother was white and his Kenyan father was black. Even more Hispanics -- 61% -- also saw Obama as biracial. But interestingly, 66% of the blacks polled classified Obama as black."
-How Far Have We Really Come from the "One-Drop Rule"? | PR Watch

It is usually blacks who try to make us mulattos black, while whites and others just consider us a different non-white group...blacks, meanwhile, seem to have a hard time accepting that other non-white groups exist at all.

Because no Pakistani, Jew, or Swede has ever called me "bro" and insisted that I am the "same as they are." No Pakistani, Jew or Swede assumes I'm a fan of Obama and love hip-hop because of who my father was. No Pakistani, Jew or Swedish professor tries to say I, and everyone with so much as a deep tan in America, shares their "experience".

I am seen as brown, which is what I am. The question isn't "American society", but "da brothas and da sistas" who insist that anyone with a tan is one of them and try to push this group think on all people with any African descent.

That poll doesn't show what you claim it shows. Why would you keep bringing it up? That poll is wholly irrelevant to racial identity in American society. The parentage of most people we see in the real world is not known to us. Most biracial people with one black parent are not Harvard grads, US Senators, or the President. LOL

So one poll about one very famous individual doesn't change reality when it comes to the way racial identity works in America, and you should really stop misusing that poll in that manner.

The facts are that biracial people with one black parent are usually treated by the larger society as black.

Again, the fight to end these racial categories starts and ends with white supremacy and the white racial identity. What black people think and feel is irrelevant.

I have no difficulty in anything. People can say they are whatever they want. Their opinion doesn't matter to America.
Here is what I mean. If a black person who was clearly black started saying they were white. Would the fact that this black person considers themselves white change what you or others thought of their racial identity? Sadly, this reality works the same for everyone.

Also, I generally speaking reject the kind of racial categorization which you are promoting. It is based on bad thinking and is extremely damaging.

We don't need phony racial categories. SMH.

So what if some individual black people think you are black. Why does that bother you?

These are some questions you might want to ask yourself..

What does it mean to you to be considered white or black or biracial? If you say it means nothing, then what is the point of this thread?

Why does it seen to be so important for you not to be considered just black?

Would you be angry if black Americans most of whom have non African ancestry all started correctly saying they were multiracial or biracial?

Is there some correct percentage of a person's ancestry that qualifies them to be biracial? and if so, what is that correct percentage, and Why are those qualifications important?

Old 08-05-2013, 06:05 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,214 times
We should ask Bill O'Reilly. He is the self-appointed expert on what being black is about and what is best for them above any of us.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Have you read his posts? Or are you just being obtuse on purpose?
You jus proved my point, reaction without thought.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Do you self-identify as black? Then you have the black experience.

There is no one black experience, white experience, immigrant experience, asian experience, middle class experience.....

There is no monolithic black experience.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,411,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delongchampsnoir View Post
Soledad O'Brien has informative programs on CNN explaining what it means.
Lol Soledad? The woman who was raised to not identify as Black with blond haired, blue eyed children is giving lectures in the Black experience. Only in liberal loony TV land is this possible.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:04 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Just the same race-baiting tripe, nothing to see there.

I did not race bait at all. Funny that I did answer your question, yet you didn't accept the answer. Like I said, you don't want to know and you just want to rant and rant. You also didn't acknowledge that you are being VERY immature. I feel bad for you, like maybe you are depressed or something and really confused racially because you are seeking some sort of approval from black people while worshipping white people. Very sad for you.

It is mulatto, not biracial. Biracial is not a group, mulatto is. If that is offensive (who decides what is or is not defensive, anyway?) I could say "Pardo," which is what we're called in Brazil.

LOL, I know what a mulatto is. You are the only mulatto I have met who wants to be called a mulatto. I have a lot of mixture in my own background and I do genealogy and I have about 6 relatives who were listed as "mulatto" on Census records going back to 1870.

Funny that you are trying to educate me on your background when you didn't even know of any "bright" black men other than Neil deGrasse Tyson from PBS lol.

And please spare me, SPARE ME mention of "the past." In the past, I, who came out of a Roman mother, would be considered a Roman citizen. That was before racism as we know it today. I would be expected to join the legion and go up north to Gaul, Iberia, or Britain and beat up and enslave some barbarians.

So...do I have the "Roman Empire" experience? That was the past. What, do we arbitrarily draw a line in time and say that what happened a hundred years ago counts, but what happened 2,000 years ago doesn't?

If you want to be Roman, be so. You are still ranting and whining about nothing. If you don't want to be black then don't be and quit complaining.

Funny thing is, it's only blacks who, upon finding out that I'm half black, expect me to be a "home boy" who "keeps it real" and votes for Obama Whites? Asians? Latinos? They never seem to assume.

So you take what other people say about you and how you should behave as some sort of insult? Also, your experience is a part of the "black experience." Many black men are thought to behave in a certain way just because they are black. The responses they get don't have to be from white people, all people in our country believe racial stereotypes and expect people to behave a certain way. Nearly every black, Asian, and Arab storekeeper I shop with think that I use foodstamps and am an unmarried single mom when I'm out with my kids and try to convince me I'm poor enough for a government phone. I don't take it personally. I acknowledge that I, a black woman, am thought of in a certain way. I tell them that that is not me (whatever negative connotation they put on me as a black person, which BTW, I'm sure you would too and it wouldn't bother me since you seem to have such disdain for blacks). And I get on with my life.

And if guilt by association means a "black experience" than I suppose blondes who hear dumb blonde jokes share "the blonde experience"

They do. I'm sure blondes share a number of experiences with each other.
Responses in bold.

BTW, you are a very silly young man. You really should grow up some and stop caring what people think about you. And just so you know, I don't "race bait" lol. You have never seen me start a thread criticizing anyone's race or ethnicity or anything really. And I don't do so in the thread either using broad generalizations like you do.

If you act like this IRL, I can understand why black people are mean to you. You are somewhat immature and very ignorant. If I were in your presence and you tried to talk to me, I would tell you to take it somewhere else or give you a book so you can learn something.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:37 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,448,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
didn't you just say how blacks don't call Slash or the lead singer of Depeche Mode black? so which is it: are blacks calling dibs on everyone with black blood or just some of them?
Only the ones that help perpetuate the fallacy that is the black experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies