Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:44 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,974,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Big word here is "seems". To me, it "seems" that you enjoy being outside everything.
Your choice.
But don't decry others who live their lives differently.
I only enjoy being outside of black "culture." Sorry, but I'll skip the pig feet and the break dancing, if you don't mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 06:46 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I watched an HORRENDOUSLY AWFUL CNN special called "who is black in America"? not too long ago (basically they concluded that the one drop rule is 100% valid and never questioned it) One black woman said of mixed people who question their ethnicity that they are black because they share the "black experience, even if they don't admit it."

Huh?

What the hell is "the black experience" exactly?

Is the "black experience" about being discriminated against? Well, if that's the cause than I suppose Mestizo Latinos, Asians, gays and women are also black. If that's all it is, than there are a lot of people who share the "black experience."

Is it culture? If that is the case than many mixed people (like myself) and blacks don't have the "black experience" either. I am not a fan of black culture: I hate "soul food", do not like rap and hip-hop "music", don't dance well, have no interest in basketball, speak proper American English with a slightly antiquated vernacular occasionally manifesting (I'm an anglophile, forgive me) and the two times I entered a black church I found the experience to be utterly terrifying.

I prefer heavy metal, new wave/alternative and goth/industrial music, my favorite cuisine is French and English and I usually prefer to eat light, I have a very limited interest in sports and I am a Gnostic Christian of esoteric leanings. So, how am I culturally black?

This goes to the very heart of the manner of this idea of a "black community." I have very little in common with majority of blacks and hence, feel know connection to any such "community". People of African descent are very diverse and have almost nothing in common save for melanin. A Somalia Muslim immigrant student of engineering has nothing in common with a black American DJ, and a mixed race student of comparative religion has nothing in common with a dark skinned black American felon who dropped out of High School.

Really, is melanin enough to hold a "community" together?

So, with the above in mind, please cease referring to each other as "brothas" and "sistas". I do not feel that a certain black youth who has been in the news recently was my "brotha"...this girl? The first time I heard her story I actually cried. She was indeed my "sister" in that I understand and feel for what she went through.

Murder of Sophie Lancaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So why should I feel a greater connection to someone simple because they have twice the melanin as I do and have some ancestors from the same place as my ancestors, while not feeling a connection to someone who lived a similar life to mine and was a similar person and was killed because of hate?

The "black experience" is a fraud that more and more people see through every day.

Why don't you ask a black person? Simnple solution, and it will save you the effort of posting crap like this.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Why don't you ask a black person? Simnple solution, and it will save you the effort of posting crap like this.

And there are no black people on this forum who could answer this question?

Old 07-16-2013, 06:48 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,042 times
Quote:
So somewhere the black experience includes middle class, single European heavy metal fans who practice esoteric alternative religions?
i know the Jimi Hendrix experience...you ever been there?

Old 07-16-2013, 06:50 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,108,949 times
Quote:
1) Blacks would laugh at an Indian Goth and 2) when people ask, I say I am mixed, and blacks suddenly seem to turn on me.
#2, no one is buying that story. You look Indian, yet Blacks keep telling you you should identify as Black? Riiiiiiight....

and then there's the part where you hate black culture so much, yet you're constantly running into all these black people....

Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
And there are no black people on this forum who could answer this question?

After reading the load of **** you posted, why would anyone want to have a dialogue with you? Go up to a black person on the street and ask, see what happens.

Or you can sit behind a computer an spew more garbage.

It's up to you, hero.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
i know the Jimi Hendrix experience...you ever been there?

Are you....experienced?

Old 07-16-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
After reading the load of **** you posted, why would anyone want to have a dialogue with you? Go up to a black person on the street and ask, see what happens.

So saying I have more of a connection to a girl who was savagely beaten than I do a drug dealer on the street is "spewing garbage"

But I agree, I should not have brought up a controversial topic on the "politics and other controversies" board...

Old 07-16-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
#2, no one is buying that story. You look Indian, yet Blacks keep telling you you should identify as Black? Riiiiiiight....
Blacks only care about blood. They say Maria Carrey should identify as black too.

Quote:
and then there's the part where you hate black culture so much, yet you're constantly running into all these black people....
I grew up in Elizabeth, NJ. You can't throw a rock there without hitting somebody named "Tyrone"

Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:

It's up to you, hero.

Or you could answer the question: what is the "black experience"? I think it's a valid question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies