U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-16-2013, 08:40 PM

8,526 posts, read 2,428,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
What offer?
Full-ride scholarship.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:42 PM

9,064 posts, read 3,276,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Mortgages are based on your credit score, income, and ability to pay.

Rachel wasn't the victim, she was a witness and the jurors had to weigh each witness. One of the witnesses could speak perfectly fine, but was adamant that she heard 3 gun shots, she lost credibility as well.

The witness who said she heard 3 shots was the only one who was across the road from the T, not along the alley-way. I suspect she heard 3 shots because of the way the sound of the gunshot reverberated.

I have to admit I'm a bit stymied by the attitudes on here. Even if someone's speech patterns does have an impact on how they are viewed and treated in a court of law, it shouldn't.

I don't see how anyone could think that is right.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:48 PM

10,211 posts, read 3,167,776 times
Quote:
The witness who said she heard 3 shots was the only one who was across the road from the T, not along the alley-way. I suspect she heard 3 shots because of the way the sound of the gunshot reverberated.

I have to admit I'm a bit stymied by the attitudes on here. Even if someone's speech patterns does have an impact on how they are viewed and treated in a court of law, it shouldn't.

I don't see how anyone could think that is right.
Right or wrong that is the way it is everywhere, but you never asked should it, you asked does it. Your reputation and dress determines your credibility as well. I could dye my blue tomorrow and lose all credibility.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:56 PM

9,064 posts, read 3,276,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Full-ride scholarship.
For college? She's going to need a lot of remedial classes.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:09 PM

8,526 posts, read 2,428,927 times
Quote:
Yes. To college.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 PM

3,847 posts, read 662,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Right or wrong that is the way it is everywhere, but you never asked should it, you asked does it. Your reputation and dress determines your credibility as well. I could dye my blue tomorrow and lose all credibility.
Sometimes, content prevails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qgREMBTE28

Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 PM

7,415 posts, read 3,158,477 times
Quote:
She's actual gotten two scholarship offers and one of them included tutors to help her get ready for college. From the interview I saw of her today---can't remember which show---I think she's going take the offer. She said "She wants to make something of her."

Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
Full-ride scholarship.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. To college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
She's actual gotten two scholarship offers and one of them included tutors to help her get ready for college. From the interview I saw of her today---can't remember which show---I think she's going take the offer. She said "She wants to make something of her."
To an HBCU, which means the standards will probably be real low.

With all due respect, I don't think she is college material.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 AM

14,375 posts, read 5,294,032 times
Quote:
Do you think a person who is inarticulate and uses street slang is less credible as a witness in a criminal trial?

Shouldn't jurors receive a jury instruction something like: even though a person does not speak English (let's say a person speaks only Spanish and needs a translator in court), or speaks English poorly , should not influence your judgment of their credibility.

The reason I say this, is that some black, Hispanic people, or recent immigrants, or people with speech impediments (like Rachel Jeantel), may be seen as less credible in a trial, whether they are defendants, witnesses, or lawyers, when really what does the way they talk have to do with their ability to tell the truth?!!!

I think what stuck in the jurors minds in her case wasn't so much her speech impediment, but her attitude. She clearly didn't want to be there.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 AM

6,340 posts, read 1,894,595 times
Quote:
I've met world renowned surgeons who can't put two coherent words together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.