Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 12:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Sorry, I don't speak black dialect. However, as a former teacher who had the opportunity of seeing just how illiterate WHITE kids and their parents are, and has had to correct student papers that would scare the living daylights out of anyone who has any familiarity with the English language, I think you would be better served to focus on the trouble WHITE kids are having with their only language.

Oh, and by the way, in case you wondered - I'm white.
Oh this is just too much fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sariTaschihuahuA View Post
sORrEe,, AHH Don'tt $PeaKK blaq diaLEcT. howEVUh,, aas Uhh FoRmuhh Teachuhhhhhhh hoo HAD Da oPporTuNiteE O' $EeiN juS Hwww IlLIteR8 WHiTE-a$$ KIDs aN'' THuh PaREnTs Iz, An''' Hasssss Hadd Ta CoRRect $tudnt Papuhs dat WuD $CaRE Daaaaa LIvinnn DayLIghtSS outi O' NE1 Hoo HAS NAyy FamILIAriTEe wiFFFF Daa englisH LangUagE, ah Tynk chu WUddd B BettuH $ervedddd ta FoCuss awN da TroUblee wHItE-a$$$$ kids IZZZ HaVIn Wiff THuhhh onlY LanguaGe.

oH,, AN' bii Da WA, Yn CaSe CHu WonDERed -- ah'mm WhiTe.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Personally, I think all of our children, no matter what race, should speak proper English and understand grammar. It's a shame that there are children who are going through our school system without a proper grasp of the English language and the mechanics of such. Communication, both verbally and written, is an essential skill in today's world. In other words, it's not a racial thing.
Seriously I think African Americans are trying to emulate what they think a African would do in Africa.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Do you think a person who is inarticulate and uses street slang is less credible as a witness in a criminal trial?

Shouldn't jurors receive a jury instruction something like: even though a person does not speak English (let's say a person speaks only Spanish and needs a translator in court), or speaks English poorly , should not influence your judgment of their credibility.

The reason I say this, is that some black, Hispanic people, or recent immigrants, or people with speech impediments (like Rachel Jeantel), may be seen as less credible in a trial, whether they are defendants, witnesses, or lawyers, when really what does the way they talk have to do with their ability to tell the truth?!!!

Of course. If you speak like an idiot in any environment, people will presume you ARE an idiot. Oddly, that is usually true.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Seriously I think African Americans are trying to emulate what they think a African would do in Africa.
I don't think I can agree with that. As I said before, a lack of education and communication skills is not a racial problem, it's a problem period. For example, my husband comes from West Virginia, an area rife with poor grammar and communication skills. I would hardly say they are trying to emulate people in Africa. Thus, I cannot agree with your premise.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:39 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
Credibility is determined by the content of your words, not the manor by which you present them.
When you are caught lying in court, your credibility is worthless.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I don't think I can agree with that. As I said before, a lack of education and communication skills is not a racial problem, it's a problem period. For example, my husband comes from West Virginia, an area rife with poor grammar and communication skills. I would hardly say they are trying to emulate people in Africa. Thus, I cannot agree with your premise.
How do you explain the mode of dress? Pre pants too low and backwards base ball hats? The days where African Americans wore pant suits more like pj's and hats had colors similar to a flag, red, black and green, still seen on the Black Panther party uniform. I don't think any blame can be placed on rural living, since i have been to NYC Chicago and Miami for starters and none of those places were close to remote as say Beckley W Va is and that place isn't what i would call rural either.

I have friends in the NYC area Bronx who talk like mob gangsters but they don't always

It's one thing to mimic some place in time than it is to just be that way all the time and have no other skills.

I do not know why, it was a real question and what I think, but what i think is not facts.

I can do a wicket down eastah accent just like Burt and I because at one point i thought it was funny, and so I learned it, but i don't talk that way most of time unless i have a tourist who is being err well kinda dumb.

Ahya'

Old 07-17-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Credibility is determined by the content of your words, not the manor by which you present them.
When you are caught lying in court, your credibility is worthless.
While it isn't an exact science we all read body language as well. Even dogs do....

If people don't know that and are not aware of it even dogs still do. If a dog doesn't like someone there is something wrong.

What that might be depends. Once my Great Dane didn't like a shop customer of mine, but I knew Sam was fine. Sam had crutches, and the dog saw them as a weapon.

The dog didn't like another guy who sucker punched me the night before, when i first met him since i was dating a gal he was dating at the time, but I didn't know it. I shook his hand said hello as i was introduced and when I turned my back he dropped me.

Next day he showed up at my Saturday work and the dog let me know something was wrong. That dog knew most of the time by body language what was the truth from what was not. A skill set most PC never learn.

In the 20 minutes i wasted of my life watching that trial was where that girl was a hostile witness and making up lies. I hope she can get ahead and make something of herself in life but I have high doubts.

She cares nothing about herself now and so why should anyone else. before there can be love you first have to love one's self.

She has LAZY written all over her. She can take schooling from here to Hell, and because it is work and she doesn't like work by the look of her, no matter what anyone does for her will be seen as work, and she clearly looks to be the type that wants everything served to her on a silver platter.

There is a whole generation now that think this is how life works! You do what you need to do minimum, to get passed ahead in school, which even if you don't work because of "Equality" sooner or later you get moved up the ladder any way, that they think this is how life will be.

They just wonder which day their silver platter will come.

I used to know a young car tech like that at lunch time. He brought no lunch, and would set around and pout expecting someone else to do something about it.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:22 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
How do you explain the mode of dress? Pre pants too low and backwards base ball hats? The days where African Americans wore pant suits more like pj's and hats had colors similar to a flag, red, black and green, still seen on the Black Panther party uniform. I don't think any blame can be placed on rural living, since i have been to NYC Chicago and Miami for starters and none of those places were close to remote as say Beckley W Va is and that place isn't what i would call rural either.

I have friends in the NYC area Bronx who talk like mob gangsters but they don't always

It's one thing to mimic some place in time than it is to just be that way all the time and have no other skills.

I do not know why, it was a real question and what I think, but what i think is not facts.

I can do a wicket down eastah accent just like Burt and I because at one point i thought it was funny, and so I learned it, but i don't talk that way most of time unless i have a tourist who is being err well kinda dumb.

Ahya'
I'm not 100% sure as to what you're trying to accomplish in your argument. However, a lack of communication skills is usually indicative of a lower education. I am sure there are people that choose to speak with their own style for societal and/or cultural reasons. However, if one is unable to communicate well at all, I don't think it has to do with race. I do believe it has to do with education.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM

I am not after anything i was just wondering why American Blacks have created this sub culture in the ghetto. I know other Blacks that speak just like i do, and have no assumed culture not American.

While I have no idea, I still think they are trying to emulate what they think a African would do in Africa. Its just what i think. The blacks I know face to face are not that way at all.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:48 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,507 times
Quote:
I am not after anything i was just wondering why American Blacks have created this sub culture in the ghetto. I know other Blacks that speak just like i do, and have no assumed culture not American.

While I have no idea, I still think they are trying to emulate what they think a African would do in Africa. Its just what i think. The blacks I know face to face are not that way at all.
Giving speed to blacks is like giving alcohol to indians.

Only white people, like Zimmerman, know how to handle their speed.

Hey, it's all prescription, man.

All legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies