Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 11:10 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times

Advertisements

The top comment to the Charles Blow article was:

"... remember this did take place in Florida. Not every place in the US is the same. After all, this is a place where an indefensible law like Stand Your Ground was whooped through the legislature, signed readily by the governor and is largely supported by the gun-happy population. No accident that Florida law does not forbid anything that Zimmerman did."

That's interesting.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
So they're in the business of telling people they're biased and then charging them to make it all better.

Yup. No bias there.
Why are you so against a research project that can be applied when the testing is required for a specific reason? If an outside agency or institution needs the tools to collect info for their data and stats, there are always research studies that provide the template. Who would have a problem with something so innocuous and ubiquitous? These types of studies are nothing new and even focus groups are held to provide information such as this.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:12 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The top comment to the Charles Blow article was:

"... remember this did take place in Florida. Not every place in the US is the same. After all, this is a place where an indefensible law like Stand Your Ground was whooped through the legislature, signed readily by the governor and is largely supported by the gun-happy population. No accident that Florida law does not forbid anything that Zimmerman did."

That's interesting.
I'm gonna be sorry I asked, but...

What is your understanding of the SYG Law?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Why are you so against a research project that can be applied when the testing is required for a specific reason? If an outside agency or institution needs the tools to collect info for their data and stats, there are always research studies that provide the template. Who would have a problem with something so innocuous and ubiquitous? These types of studies are nothing new and even focus groups are held to provide information such as this.
Oh, who knows but I might take it -for a goof. But the conflict of interest is manifest.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
The case is over...

Florida does what Florida always does...gets it wrong.

And let's just finally admit that the only reason that GZ has 'supporters' is because they are living vicariously through his actions. Had GZ done the exact same thing to a child that looks like theirs then these same folks would be calling GZ an anchor baby and demanding that his mother be shipped back to Peru.

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
Quote:

And just where would GZ have retreated? Into the concrete?

Interested to hear the answers.......

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Oh, who knows but I might take it -for a goof. But the conflict of interest is manifest.
Conflict of interests? How does that apply here?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
And it is ubiquitous. I truly believe all of us, even the best-intentioned, hold some implicit stereotypical beliefs whether based on sex, race, socio-economic status, nationality, ethnicity. I think it's a wake-up call to realize one does hold some of these beliefs, even when you think you don't. It was for me anyway.

That way you can fight your own unconscious biases, and try all the harder to see each individual as an individual, and not a stereotype.

That's partly what the entire Zimmerman case was about, all the way from Zimmerman's perceptions, to the way the legal system handled Trayvon's murder. Few people are going to hold up their hand and say, "I'm a racist!" but the evidence shows that many of us have at least some implicit negative beliefs about other races.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The case is over...

Florida does what Florida always does...gets it wrong.

And let's just finally admit that the only reason that GZ has 'supporters' is because they are living vicariously through his actions. Had GZ done the exact same thing to a child that looks like theirs then these same folks would be calling GZ an anchor baby and demanding that his mother be shipped back to Peru.
Bull.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:

Well, legally it's this part of Florida Statute 776.013:

"(3) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The law is based on precedent and how this statute is being applied varies a lot. The Tampa Bay Times has a good listing of cases. It makes for some wild reading!

Stand your ground law, Trayvon Martin and a shocking legacy | Tampa Bay Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies