Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
The difference betwee SYG and self defense is that SYG removes the duty to retreat.

If you are being straddled by your assailant, you are no longer expected to retreat even under self defense.

So I am not sure why the jury instructions included it.
Well put.

And if the goal is to reduce violence and save lives, including your own, the smart thing to do is always to retreat, if you can.

There are instances of people leaving their homes, where they were safe, in order to "stand their ground", and slaying a fleeing burglar or someone who never even entered their home to begin with. To me, that is taking things too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 12:11 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Well put.

And if the goal is to reduce violence and save lives, including your own, the smart thing to do is always to retreat, if you can.

There are instances of people leaving their homes, where they were safe, in order to "stand their ground", and slaying a fleeing burglar or someone who never even entered their home to begin with. To me, that is taking things too far.
Please cite at least one instance where the shooter wasn't charged. A fleeing person, most of the time, is no danger to you or others and shooting them is murder.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Well in england if a burgler enters your home, you are suppose to leave.
Don't you want to life there ?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
It's become very clear that many people who want to render an opinion on this subject have an extremely limited understanding of THE LAW.....

If you don't like a law, you have every right to try and change that law, however, don't try and punish someone who was well within the law.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Please cite at least one instance where the shooter wasn't charged. A fleeing person, most of the time, is no danger to you or others and shooting them is murder.
I believe there was one instance actually. There was a man who witnessed someone breaking in to their neighbors home, called 911 and told the operator he was going out to shoot the burglar, which he did, and I don't think he was charged.

That is just asinine.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Well put.

Please provide one case where a fleeing burglar was shot and the shooter was not charged due to SYG.

Just one case please.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I believe there was one instance actually. There was a man who witnessed someone breaking in to their neighbors home, called 911 and told the operator he was going out to shoot the burglar, which he did, and I don't think he was charged.

That is just asinine.
Wrong case.

You are referring to Joe Horn's case. It's not a case about SYG. It's about protecting property with force which is totally legal under Texas law.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Well in england if a burgler enters your home, you are suppose to leave.
Don't you want to life there ?
Liberalism at it's finest....

Castle Doctrine is an excellent law. You come in to my home uninvited to steal or harm me or mine, I have every right to shoot you dead, and that's the way it should be.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Liberalism at it's finest....

Castle Doctrine is an excellent law. You come in to my home uninvited to steal or harm me or mine, I have every right to shoot you dead, and that's the way it should be.

The law is a little broader than that. If someone enters your home with force, he's presumed to have the intention to do harm. You are within your legal rights to shoot to stop him.

Now, if you left your door wide open and someone walks in, you absolutely cannot shoot him for that.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:25 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please provide one case where a fleeing burglar was shot and the shooter was not charged due to SYG.

Just one case please.
The one in Texas where the neighbor shot two young black home robbers as they were fleeing from, and with, the neighbor's property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies