Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times

Advertisements

Well, I won't argue ethics. . .seems to me that ethics when it comes to human life has gone out of a lot of people when it comes to guns. I would think it would remain your duty as a human being to avoid the escalation of violence.

and though I'm not sure I disagree with the Zimmerman verdict, I do agree that the law that made the zimmerman verdict happen. . .is a problem.

So on threads people like to say "whats wrong with stand your ground"

Well - the evidence suggest that deaths of white males is the primary issue with Stand your Ground. A net increase in deaths. I.e. People killed prior to stand your ground - People killed after per month. They amount to approx 4 additional deaths per month.

Yet, no real impact on crime. Just look at the data. . .When Florida implemented stand your ground the overall decline in crime was still going. . and it kept going. Not like you accelerated that crime decline.

So whats wrong. To me its simple: It costs Human Life - it doesn't come with a benefit

Excellent Summary: http://www.freakonomics.com/2012/06/...g-your-ground/

and full study
Stand Your Ground Laws, Homicides, and Injuries

Kind of Ironic - African Americans are protesting the law, yet its whites who are dying by it (not blacks)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:23 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Because its racist!

Old 07-17-2013, 09:24 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
What is wrong with "Stand your ground"?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:32 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
When force is used against you, you are to use force back. The law protects the person who doesnt not threaten the violence and or protection of their life. When your life is threatened and I mean with a gun, and or weapon and I dont think words of force give you reason to shoot or kill anyone. The reason for the law is to allow people are being threatened with robbery, and or any other general criminal activity and empowering the citizen to stand his ground against the word be agressor.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Its a blue print for for murder.
1. Make sure you are gun legal/concealed carry permit
2. Make sure your victim can't testify
3. Don't testify your self
4. Make sure your victim hits you first
5. now blast away

Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
In principle it's not wrong.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
How are you standing your ground when you're pursuing your target?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:41 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
If a homeless guy comes to your car asking for a handout and you fear for your life, killing him would be wrong.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Stand Your Ground isn't wrong in your own home BUT on the streets it can be a license to murder someone so long as you have no witnesses to refute your version of what happened. The law needs tweaking.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Well, I won't argue ethics. . .seems to me that ethics when it comes to human life has gone out of a lot of people when it comes to guns. I would think it would remain your duty as a human being to avoid the escalation of violence.

and though I'm not sure I disagree with the Zimmerman verdict, I do agree that the law that made the zimmerman verdict happen. . .is a problem.

So on threads people like to say "whats wrong with stand your ground"

Well - the evidence suggest that deaths of white males is the primary issue with Stand your Ground. A net increase in deaths. I.e. People killed prior to stand your ground - People killed after per month. They amount to approx 4 additional deaths per month.

Yet, no real impact on crime. Just look at the data. . .When Florida implemented stand your ground the overall decline in crime was still going. . and it kept going. Not like you accelerated that crime decline.

So whats wrong. To me its simple: It costs Human Life - it doesn't come with a benefit

Excellent Summary: http://www.freakonomics.com/2012/06/...g-your-ground/

and full study
Stand Your Ground Laws, Homicides, and Injuries

Kind of Ironic - African Americans are protesting the law, yet its whites who are dying by it (not blacks)
Number one, who ever said this law was supposed to reduce the crime rate? I could care less if it does, just like I could care less if areas with concealed carry have a lower crime rate. That is NOT the objective of these types of laws. These laws are about being ready and able to defend yourself from a violent attacker should the NEED arise.

Second, Stand Your Ground is a good intentioned law, the fact remains however, that it is often abused by miscreants. It removes my LEGAL obligation to retreat before returning force with equal force. I don't believe that we should have a legal obligation to retreat before being allowed by law fight back, however, I do believe we have a MORAL obligation to avoid the use of deadly force by any means necessary. Just because you don't legally have to retreat, you still should, if the opportunity exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies