Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 04:30 PM

108 posts, read 285,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You said he was "experimenting w/ drugs".

If you don't want to be corrected, I suggest you get it right the first time.
What does Martin doing drugs even have to do in this case when all that was found were minimal traces of MJ in his system? Zimmerman wasn't even tested the night of Trayon's death.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:33 PM

17,410 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNative View Post
You're "sure"? You're sure how?

Martin's past is irrelevant. I don't care who Martin was. He could have smoked 8 joints a day. He had every right to walk home safely that night.
I'm sure because of the weed references in his tweets, texts & photos. And even if it was only twice a week ... that's a chronic user, not "experimentation" as numerous posters have said.

Sure, TM had every right to walk home - and if he would've gotten his rear end home and not attacked someone, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Quote:
What does Martin doing drugs even have to do in this case when all that was found were minimal traces of MJ in his system? Zimmerman wasn't even tested the night of Trayon's death.
I was correcting another poster who said TM was "experimenting" with drugs.

I didn't bring it up - she did.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:34 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Actually, I don't call it a poor decision on GZ's part. On the 911 call he tells the Dispatch that the guy is putting his hand in his waistband.

That is perceived as a taunting threat to GZ coming from TM, and it certainly continues to make him appear to be suspicious and up to no good. That was TM's poor choice of "pretending" he was armed. But you don't hear the media talk about that either.
Following him was a poor decision, although dispatch asking him where the person was going exacerbated the situation, it seems that is a large part of the reason Zimmerman was outside looking around for him, as a neighborhood watch coordinator it's understandable that he would try to get more information. The operator should have told him to stay in his car and wait for the police.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:34 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
A murder conviction must be based on facts in evidence.
Main fact of the case: Zimmie lied.

There was clear evidence that he lied.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
One of the things that bothers me about the verdict in the Zimmerman trial is that it establishes a precedent of vigilantism.

The police already have too much power and make too many mistakes when it comes to profiling and sometimes shooting innocent people to death.

They also have too much power to provoke a confrontation, and then when a person in any way "resists" or questions their authority to beat that person to a pulp, or even kill them as in the case of the young homeless man they savagely beat to death.

Now, if private citizens start taking this upon themselves, men who are wearing no badge, are not law enforcement, and start expecting other citizens in their neighborhood to answer to them, to state their business, explain to them why they are where they are---then, we've got even more problems.
This right here was Harrier's initial reaction to hearing about the death of Trayvon Martin.

Harrier was very irate for awhile and he had to get past his first rush of emotion and outrage at the death, calm down, and think rationally.

Once he did so, Harrier realized that he did not know all the details, and that only a jury would be privy to all the facts, so there was no point in letting emotion color his view of the incident.

Harrier then distanced himself from the issue, only popping in to the Z/M threads every once awhile to call for the same level of patience and rational thinking that Harrier had caused himself to practice. You will remember that Harrier would post "lets wait until all the facts come out". And so they did.

They showed a much different scenario than the one that originally caused Harrier to be upset at George Zimmerman. Trayvon Martin - far from being an innocent victim - assaulted George Zimmerman, screamed at him "You are going to die tonight", and bashed his head into the ground. George Zimmerman, on the ground, being beaten to death, and fearing for his life, acted in self defense and tragically killed Martin.

He was subsequently tried and found not guilty of murder by a jury of Seminole County citizens.

Now, the verdict protestors are upset that Martin is portrayed in such a bad light, but that is what the facts showed - Zimmerman would not have had to act in self defense if he had not been attacked.

The protestors wanted a trial and they got one. If they didn't want to bad press for Martin, then they ought to have accepted the original decision by Seminole County to not charge George Zimmerman, because there never was any case that the state could bring that had a chance of a conviction - because Zimmerman was in fact not guilty of murder.

The whole thing is tragic, but could have been prevented if Trayvon Martin had completed his journey that night and simply gone home.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:40 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Obama is a racist himself. Obama said if Trayvon had been white it would have ended differently. Obama saying that said--- because Trayvon was black it went down the way it did.
Your listening skills are poor. He asked if it would have been?

Old 07-20-2013, 04:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
There was clear evidence that he lied.
No, there is not.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:41 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,471 times
Quote:
You're "sure"? You're sure how?

Martin's past is irrelevant. I don't care who Martin was. He could have smoked 8 joints a day. He had every right to walk home safely that night.

guess what.
GZ had the same right to get home safely that night.

think about it, GZ had been patrolling that area for years,
he had called the non-emergency 311 line hundreds of times and never had any issue with anyone.

until he encountered skittles martin.

skittles martin, brain fried on purple drank...

less then 10 minutes after first spotting skittles,
poor george was fighting for his life,
just trying to get home to his wife and pet hampster.

screaming like a seven year old girl while he fought for his life...

skittles martin,
in the 'hood for less than a day and finally found a creapy a%% cracka' to bloody up...

Old 07-20-2013, 04:45 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Wow, I didn't realize you saw the entire fight and therefore could draw declarative conclusions...

All the verdict says is there's enough reasonable doubt to find Zimmerman not liable. That's all. Feel free to read whatever bias you have into it however.

I think neither's past is relevant to the case. As has been demonstrated by the trial itself.
Yes, you are right, that's all a verdict ever means.

At least one juror stated she put the onus of the fight on Martin, if the jurors hadn't believe Martin attacked Zimmerman a guilty verdict would have been the more likely outcome. That is only my opinion arrived at after reviewing the evidence, it has no probative value, none of our opinions do, this is just a discussion.

I agree that neither's past is relevant to the case, I've never mentioned anything about either's past actions.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:48 PM

108 posts, read 285,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Yes, you are right, that's all a verdict ever means.

At least one juror stated she put the onus of the fight on Martin, if the jurors hadn't believe Martin attacked Zimmerman a guilty verdict would have been the more likely outcome. That is only my opinion arrived at after reviewing the evidence, it has no probative value, none of our opinions do, this is just a discussion.

I agree that neither's past is relevant to the case, I've never mentioned anything about either's past actions.
Why are you making presumptions about the jury? One juror doesn't speak for them all as was made clear by their public statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies