Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we let Detroit die?
Yes 134 50.76%
No 72 27.27%
Turn it into a Post Apocalyptic Theme Park 58 21.97%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 06:49 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not addressed to you specifically gunlover but more to the widespread general attitude you exhibit.
Must be nice to sit in a position of a comfortable life, nice job, a reasonable amount of financial security and casually throw 700K fellow Americans under the bus with your rather insensitive description.
Do you really think that your constant obsession with your supposed hard earned tax dollar is more important than helping those Americans that for what ever reason have fallen on hard times and are in need.that the answer is to deprive them of what little assistance they do get,making their lives even tougher.
If you saw the life stories of many of these less fortunate you'd soon discover why they never had the opportunities that you had and why their lives ended up the way they did.its not easy being poor and its real tough to break out of the lifestyle once in it ,Many in the "comfort class" think its as easy as saying these people should just go out and get good paying jobs instead of sitting around expecting everything for free,The next time you see a poor person buy him a coffee and sit down and talk for a while, you may come to a different understanding of their situation.
I don't have a comfortable life, or a nice job(don't have a job actually) and no financial security...So you are wrong 3 times in less then one sentence...great opening...

I am not throwing them under the bus, they leaped in front of it...I did not nothing, and was no where near this accident.

People have an "Constant obsession" with money that they worked hard for? wow, that..sounds perfectly logical..

"they never had the opportunities that you had and why their lives ended up the way they did.its not easy being poor and its real tough to break out of the lifestyle once in it ,Many in the "comfort class" think its as easy as saying these people should just go out and get good paying jobs instead of sitting around expecting everything for free,The next time you see a poor person buy him a coffee and sit down and talk for a while, you may come to a different understanding of their situation."

Not buying it, I have had no real opportunities but I have my nose the grind stone, I amgoing to college, and not voting for failed systems, corrupted candidates(I know that an oxymoron if you have ever heard one) and failing ideology.

I understand why they voted for what ever Democrat was elected, he or she promised them something free, and taxed the hell out of someone in order to pay for, only problem is, the gooses laying the golden eggs, flown the coop. and now the supply of golden eggs is almost gone..of course with out understand basic economic how where the voters of Detroit supposed to understand this? I mean after all failed government run schools were, well worse then noting...its a series of failures, on the part of many, and its a damn shame...

That being said failure or stupidly on your part does not does not constitute an emergency on my part. we have given you countless idea and way of improving them, chatter schools, school vouchers, trade zones, flat taxes...all great opinions, but they don't support the party line.....so they are cast out in the cold..

that being said Everyone said it was going to happen, no one listen to us, everyone mock us, and people who see this coming have long since gone galt...

We are the people who would have told the colonists of hadley's hope on LV 426 To not go any where near the derelict ship, told them why, and what would happen, and they still made the choice to go to the derelict ship..and now after their are chest busters popping out of people, and things are going to hell..in this late hour your still blame us for you choosing to go inside the derelict ship..and blame us for leave the planet to succumbing to the coming infestation, and subsequent nuclear extermination..

Look at Detroit, and the movie Aliens.. the stories and plot are in a mirror darkly..and Detroit does have a hadley`s hope kind of feel to it, and areas do have a nuclear-esque desolation to them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 07:12 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
It is good you are in school. Perhaps hope for the future.

What does Detroit have to do with school problems, or charter schools or vouchers. That is all run by the State of Michigan. And it has a very active charter school system which appears to be leading to a disaster. We have free enterprise at its worst. The Charter suck the money, the good students and then appear to produce a low quality product.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It is good you are in school. Perhaps hope for the future.

What does Detroit have to do with school problems, or charter schools or vouchers. That is all run by the State of Michigan. And it has a very active charter school system which appears to be leading to a disaster. We have free enterprise at its worst. The Charter suck the money, the good students and then appear to produce a low quality product.
They schools are some of the worst in the nation

https://www.google.com/search?q=illt...y+rate+detroit

More then 50% are Functionally Illiterate.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
They schools are some of the worst in the nation

https://www.google.com/search?q=illt...y+rate+detroit

More then 50% are Functionally Illiterate.
And you understand that is done by the STate of Michigan I hope. Those teachers are state employees. I also trust you have thought about the impact of basically unregulated charter schools picking off the better kids to make money not educating them?

So basically the State of Michigan screws up bad and you blame it on the locals.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Liberalism also made Pittsburgh America`s most livable city beating out Honolulu. Oops! Another liberal city.

Move over, Honolulu; Pittsburgh's No. 1 in U.S. - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

That report lists Detroit as 40th from amongst 140 most liveable cities worldwide. Detroit even edged out Boston (41st) in livability!! This report is misleading and useless.

But since your brought up Pittsburgh, I'll let you read what their own Budget Secretary says Budget Secretary Warns Of Financial Crisis « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 09-21-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Detroit did not suicide. It was killed by a set of economic forces outside its control.
Quote:
If there are people who profiteered off Detroit they left a long time ago. What is left behind ins the poor who lacked the resources to escape. But all those who did escape played a role in sinking the city.
Quote:
So basically the State of Michigan screws up bad and you blame it on the locals.
Does a Liberal mind ever have the ability of self-reflection? What did I do wrong? What did I do right? What should I repeat, and what should I not repeat?

Isn't the ability to analyze our own actions or inactions a requirement for a decent society?

First step to recovery is walking towards that mirror, and taking a long hard look at yourself. Surely, there were other reasons. To bring Detroit to its knees is a series of events, policies spread through decades of time.

I love Detroit, I always have. Detroit's salvage will have to come from within. Detroit has to throw that first step. Then we can help. But we can't do it for them.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Does a Liberal mind ever have the ability of self-reflection? What did I do wrong? What did I do right? What should I repeat, and what should I not repeat?

Isn't the ability to analyze our own actions or inactions a requirement for a decent society?

First step to recovery is walking towards that mirror, and taking a long hard look at yourself. Surely, there were other reasons. To bring Detroit to its knees is a series of events, policies spread through decades of time.

I love Detroit, I always have. Detroit's salvage will have to come from within. Detroit has to throw that first step. Then we can help. But we can't do it for them.
I have done more assessments of failed endeavor than should be inflected upon a person.

But to ruminate on what you did wrong when run over by a cement mixer is not useful.

Detroit has no possibility of recovering on its own. The malaise will only deepen.

It has long since left the critical node. Without intervention it will simply spiral in. And even with intervention it is still no sure thing.

I actually suspect its demise was certain before 1960. It had to absorb its suburbs to survive and it did not.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but Detroit died decades ago.

Detroit is a zombie. Burn it, take a chain-saw to it, or whatever you have to do, but kill the damn thing already....it's sucked up and wasted enough tax-payer dollars.

Detroit is a perfect example of what happens when you let stupid get ignorant, and then throw tax-payer money at it.

Zombie-shooter...

Mircea

Old 09-21-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
But to ruminate on what you did wrong when run over by a cement mixer is not useful.
Sure it is. You figure next time you better get out of the way. Or in Detroit's case you learn that we are all bound by the laws of math.

Quote:
Without intervention it will simply spiral in. And even with intervention it is still no sure thing.
If you advocate a bail-out as the solution, I disagree. The real solution is for Detroit to do what it is doing -- go through a bankruptcy process, make structural changes, and re-emerge. It will not be the first, nor the last to do it.

Quote:
Detroit has no possibility of recovering on its own. The malaise will only deepen.

It has long since left the critical node.
You mentioned Pittsburgh, although for the wrong reasons. Pittsburgh was dead not too long ago. It has emerged quite successfully. Eastern US and Midwest are filled with cities that lost their way, and are being revitalized. In fact revitalization has started even in Detroit itself. Don't write off yet the human ability to start over and re-emerge.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but Detroit died decades ago.

Detroit is a zombie. Burn it, take a chain-saw to it, or whatever you have to do, but kill the damn thing already....it's sucked up and wasted enough tax-payer dollars.

Detroit is a perfect example of what happens when you let stupid get ignorant, and then throw tax-payer money at it.

Zombie-shooter...

Mircea
burn it down..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies