Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we let Detroit die?
Yes 134 50.76%
No 72 27.27%
Turn it into a Post Apocalyptic Theme Park 58 21.97%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 04:06 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
You demonstrating reprehensible callous disregard for those who don't live in Detroit, why should we bail them out? they voted for this mess...

If you are soo noble and caring, you and your follow Marxist bail out the Detroit..lead by example.
The problem is that Detroit will take a lot of SE Michigan with it if it goes down in flames. We will be left with the mess when the government fails completely. There really is no way out of that. I wish it was as easy as ignore then and let them deal with the mess they made. It's not because they're not just hurting themselves. There are many people who didn't vote for this mess who will be negatively impacted. What do you think life will be like for the suburbs if Detroit is a lawless wasteland? What will their costs be to patrol their borders? How many lives will be lost when Detroit is run completely by gangs and there is no police presence? You're not looking past the borders of Detroit and not everyone in Detroit voted for this mess. I lived there for 17 years and never voted for Coleman Young. He kept winning office though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 05:00 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,699,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The problem is that Detroit will take a lot of SE Michigan with it if it goes down in flames.
It is a problem that a lot of SE Michigan will go down if Detroit goes down, but the 700,000 people in Detroit make Detroit going down already a big enough problem. The SE Michigan angle is just added rationale for positive action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I wish it was as easy as ignore then and let them deal with the mess they made.
Then the perspective you support is as self-serving as that of the general right-wingers.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:10 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,408,272 times
Right-wingers are psychopaths. It's really that simple.

Btw, Detroit is the seat of a 4 million person metropolitan area--if it "dies", the rest would likely follow. Not a goof thing for our economy.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:44 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,738,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Your comments are no longer even making enough sense to point out the corrupted portions. I think what you're trying to say is that your comfort and luxury is all that is important in the world. Again. Big surprise.
Yes they are, Its my life, my efforts, my education....

funny how wanting and work for a better life is greedy but defend others work hard for you, to provide a better life at their expense is seen as noble.

Why don't you give the city of Detroit money? you bail it out! Dont be greedy with your money, you have to share!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Right-wingers are psychopaths. It's really that simple.

Btw, Detroit is the seat of a 4 million person metropolitan area--if it "dies", the rest would likely follow. Not a goof thing for our economy.
We are not psychopaths

Hervey Cleckley’s List of Psychopathy Symptoms:

1. Considerable superficial charm and average or above average intelligence.
2. Absence of delusions and other signs of irrational thinking.
3. Absence of anxiety or other “neurotic†symptoms. Considerable poise, calmness and verbal facility.
4. Unreliability, disregard for obligations, no sense of responsibility, in matters of little and great import.
5. Untruthfulness and insincerity.
6. Antisocial behavior which is inadequately motivated and poorly planned, seeming to stem from an inexplicable impulsiveness.
7. Inadequately motivated antisocial behavior.
8. Poor judgment and failure to learn from experience.
9. Pathological egocentricity. Total self-centeredness and an incapacity for real love and attachment.
10. General poverty of deep and lasting emotions.
11. Lack of any true insight; inability to see oneself as others do.
12. Ingratitude for any special considerations, kindness and trust.
13. Fantastic and objectionable behavior, after drinking and sometimes even when not drinking. Vulgarity, rudeness, quick mood shifts, pranks for facile entertainment.
14. No history of genuine suicide attempts.
15. An impersonal, trivial, and poorly integrated sex life.
16. Failure to have a life plan and to live in any ordered way (unless it is for destructive purposes or a sham).

Boy when you look at it, it sounds like a check list for liberalism.

That and what is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again?

Old 09-24-2013, 03:29 AM
bUU

Quote:
funny how wanting and work for a better life is greedy but defend others work hard for you, to provide a better life at their expense is seen as noble.
It's strange that you cannot be honest with yourself about the dichotomy: You're insisting on grabbing what you want. I'm insisting on together contributing to society for what other people need.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It's strange that you cannot be honest with yourself about the dichotomy: You're insisting on grabbing what you want. I'm insisting on together contributing to society for what other people need.
And what if "what other people need" is at my expense? of my property, my liberty, my freedom, my and Constitutional rights? What just roll over for the "greater good". Yeah not happening..

How who determines what my wants are and what the values of wants over needs are? or when what a need is? where does it end? not in some utopia but men in a static state of poverty and oppression.

Once again open ended nebulous terms written to expend power and shrink liberty.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:32 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
And what if "what other people need" is at my expense? of my property, my liberty, my freedom, my and Constitutional rights? What just roll over for the "greater good". Yeah not happening..

How who determines what my wants are and what the values of wants over needs are? or when what a need is? where does it end? not in some utopia but men in a static state of poverty and oppression.

Once again open ended nebulous terms written to expend power and shrink liberty.
The greater good is always at your expense and mine. We give a bit, maybe even a large bit, but get it back in a better overall environ.

If Detroit goes off the deep end and becomes a lawless ungoverned territory it will inevitably pray on its neighbors. That continues until it is a problem we have to end. And that end will be expensive and paid for by us.

The object is to fix Detroit. Completely and thoroughly and permanently. The discussion is how to do that within our system at the lowest cost to the overall society.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The greater good is always at your expense and mine. We give a bit, maybe even a large bit, but get it back in a better overall environ.

If Detroit goes off the deep end and becomes a lawless ungoverned territory it will inevitably pray on its neighbors. That continues until it is a problem we have to end. And that end will be expensive and paid for by us.

The object is to fix Detroit. Completely and thoroughly and permanently. The discussion is how to do that within our system at the lowest cost to the overall society.
So give a dime today or a dollar tomorrow, great trick, we both know any money sent will be wasted or stolen, The American people are not buying it any more...

And what about moral hazard?

Old 09-25-2013, 03:09 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It's a typical lesson of maturity, something everyone should innately know from having been taught how to be an adult in a society with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies