U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How worried are you today for the future of America?
Extremely worried 48 52.75%
Very worried 26 28.57%
Not worried too much 15 16.48%
Don't care 2 2.20%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:39 PM

421 posts, read 1,067,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
We have embryonic solutions- solar, geothermal, hydrogen, wind, etc. The technology has been around for decades and is getting better all the time. As fossil fuels get more expensive, alternatives become more cost effective and the incentives grow and grow.

Between bankrupting the Saudis and spewing less gunk into the air, I personally am looking forward to the future.
Can you assure me that one of these things will make up for the hundreds of millions of barrels a day of oil we will need within a decade or so though? Im all for these alternatives, but our energy needs are soooo huge, and you through in a very rapidly growing energy appitite from China and India that could make the present U.S. energy demand look like childs play, and it would take a lot of wind mills or solar pannels to even put a dent in demand GROWTH let alone our present demand. And hydrogen is a energy carrier like electrictity.... you actually need to get energy from somewhere (oil, coal, etc ) to make it, so you cant rely on that. I hope we can get it figured out soon before its too late, which it may already be. Sorry if Im being pessimisistic, but when I think about how much energy we use and our demand grows vs. how much we are able to get from other sources, it seems next to impossible. Our whole economy and way of life grew up with an almost unlimited supply of energy (oil, coal, nat gas) but for the first time ever, the world is seeing restraints and soon to be decline of these resources. I think the problem is alot bigger than most people imagine it to be and will take alot more than they think to fix it, or at least make sure our whole country dosnt collapse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 02:50 PM

11,942 posts, read 17,417,047 times
Quote:
Can you assure me that one of these things will make up for the hundreds of millions of barrels a day of oil we will need within a decade or so though?
Certainly not. But I can assure you that nothing gets done until its absolutley necessary. And when we reach that point, if ever actually, that will be the moment for a big paradigm shift.

And if not, we survived for thousands of years without pumping oil. We could again. But we won't have to.

Trust me.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:51 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,437,842 times
Exclamation Things CAN go bad, if we LET them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytripper View Post
Just wondering how worried/concerned....or not
people feel about the overall direction the US is going from this point on.
America has 5 major issues facing the country right now:

1. The threat of between 120 - 160 MILLION aliens entering the USA in less than 35~ years if the any illegal alien amnesty passes and the 20 million illegals chain migrate family members after they get their "path to citizenship". This will cause US population to hit over 420 by 2050.

Mind you, the estimate of 120 million - 160 million MORE immigrants in 30 years is on the low end. I have seen an estimate that could be as high as 195 million more immigrants Ladies and gents, that is NOT counting the 20 million here illegally now. The estimate that US population will hit 420 Million is on the LOW end. Most studies say it could easily hit 270 million by 2050.

http://www.fairus.org/images/fair/hm_nav_7featurestats.gif (broken link)

This is mainly because of immigration. There is NO WAY the USA can create enough jobs for all these people. There is not enough water, open land (unless they de-forrest and continue to ruin America's natural beauty), not enough energy, not enough schools, hospitals, roads, money in welfare and social security, etc for all these people.

That is why immigration and any amnesties are so concerning to me and many others in the USA today.

2. The threat of Iran proving a nuke to terrorists (whom they deal with already on a daily basis) and blowing it up on a US city. I believe it WILL happen with a 99% certainty. After terrorists smuggle the nuke through the wide open US-Mexico border, BOOOOOOOM and there goes the economy and millions of Americans. I am afraid this will happen for sure. Many in atomic and intelligence communities think it is "when", rather than "if". The question is where will it happen, when will it happen, and how will the US government (and the people) respond.

3. The economic threat that China and India represent. If it wasn't enough to have their citizens in US soil sending tax-free money there (along with other countries of the world, adding to the US trade deficit), the US is importing everything from China. The US economy is 100% dependent on China and its products. If China was to tell the USA to go to hell, the US would be cut off from most products and items it needs.

China and India are also stealing US jobs like never before. Not just factory jobs; I am talking about call center, customer service, tech support, computer programming, and all sorts of other jobs Americans never thought would be exported. This is causing a major strain on the US economy.

4. The military threat that China represents. With 1 billion people to draft from and unlimited financial resources thanks to US stupidity of letting them build everything Americans use, China's military is growing and the military budget is swelling bigtime. These are can go from nice to naughty in a New York minute. If the world has any financial crisis and people stop buying stuff from China, they can turn to violence to support their population of 1 billion people.

5. Oil. Americans are being stupid, because they allow the Democrats in Congress to stop oil from being drilled in ANWAR in Alaska. The US has enough oil in that 30 mile area to be 100% independent from oil-producing terrorist countries for 30 straight years. We would bankrupt the bastards in Iran and Venezuela and weaken their tyrannical rules. So WHY can't we drill and be independent of oil, or at the very least dril enough oil to easy international demand and cause the price to go down??? Because we are stupid, that is why!! We let crooked politicians to control us!!

In sum, I think the USA if screwed up, unless we get the illegals out with NO amnesty and no path to citizenship, the trade issues with China and India resolved, watch and upgrade our own military to match and exceed the Chinese, and strat drilling our own oil while developing other sources of energy, the USA is screwed.

And of course, I could throw in a #6 is Hillary or Obama get elected, we are also in deep sh*t too!! #1 will happen for sure if they get in, #2 will likely happen too, as they will allow Iran to develop nukes, #3 and #4 might be a little better, and #5 will never happen, we will continue to fund terrorists in Iran and dictators in Venezuela.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:23 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,265,404 times
With all these terrible future visions of Nivana Guy, I just wonder if now is the time to start building a thick, concrete bunker 100 feet below the foundation of my house.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:51 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,819,715 times
Nirvana Guy wrote:
China and India are also stealing US jobs like never before. Not just factory jobs; I am talking about call center, customer service, tech support, computer programming, and all sorts of other jobs Americans never thought would be exported. This is causing a major strain on the US economy.

It's the greedy US corporations that are stealing jobs from America. They would rather pay a slaves wage to the workers of China & India than to pay a decent living wage to American workers. I agree that it is causing a major strain on the US economy.

blessings.....Franco

Old 11-13-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Certainly not. But I can assure you that nothing gets done until its absolutley necessary. And when we reach that point, if ever actually, that will be the moment for a big paradigm shift.

And if not, we survived for thousands of years without pumping oil. We could again. But we won't have to.

Trust me.
That is very true, however at the time when we were not pumping oil, the worlds population was a very tiny fraction to what it is now. Without large amounts of energy we would only be able to support that tiny fraction. The abundance of energy has allowed our population to grow so rapidly. Once we start running short, then what?

Old 11-13-2007, 04:24 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,896,967 times
Default We, not outsiders, will "Do Ourselves In"..

I think America will always be here--in some form or another. Whether it will be a "nice" place, or have a desirable lifestyle, is another matter. As I see it, our biggest mistake, and one most of us won't even acknowledge, is the double-edged sword of muticulturalism and political correctness, both of which go a long way in blinding us to our problems, thus making it that much harder to deal with them. In essence, I'm suggesting that an internal moral collapse will "do us in", rather than any outside enemy.

Over on the "Immigration" forum (a truly contentious place !) there is a lot of verbage dedicated to the concept that "Illegals have a right to come here", (partially becuse it's really not 'our' country to begin with) and "Mexicans (and others) have a right to be themselves"...both "nice" concepts, maybe, but totally at odds with the idea of a united country.

If "Mexicans", here in America, have a right and even a duty to "be Mexicans"...then it follows that ALL groups--Italians, Germans, Chinese, Lithuanians, Sri Lankans, and ALL members of ANY group, here in the US, have a right to be "themselves"...and shouldn't feel pressured to "become Americans". Great--but what you then have is not a country anymore, but rather a gathering spot for the world's contentious peoples, of all persuasions. In essence, America will no longer be a united America, it will be a reflection of the "world". Has anyone checked lately to see how "the citizens of Earth" are all getting along? It's not an encouraging picture, I'm afraid. In fact, it's ironic that so "awful" are conditions out there among the world's various groups, that many of them are coming here to 'get away' from these conditions. How sad, then, if we succeed in bringing these very same multi-cultural bickerings and hatreds here, so these people can continue tormenting each other. But that's the alternative, it seems to me, if we no longer ask people to assimilate.

Our political correctness has almost paralyzed our ability to see reason. We can't promote the idea of assimilation, without someone screaming "racism"...or "xenophobia"....and the rest of us taking this charge to heart. We can't seem to bring ourselves to agree that any nation--including THIS one--must have an agreed-upon culture, if it's to succeed as a viable entity. Without that, we're just a collection of disunited, competing strangers.

As I said, we'll always be here. But my greatest fear is that we'll live on as a sad shell of what we might have been, if only we'd used a little common sense. Some day, school children may learn of a "once great" society, the USA, which led the world in decency and freedom and rights for all people, and which then lost everything, not because some enemy invaded it and "took it all away"---but because these Americans simply lost confidence in their own goodness, became crippled by guilt and self-doubt, and ended up simply "throwing it all away". When that day arrives, I'm afraid we won't get much sympathy, because we'll be rightly seen as having been the perpetrators of our own demise. What we'll probably get is simply disgust and pity, for holding the dubious distinction of being the first people in modern history who simply let their own society collapse, because they couldn't agree on any rules to live by---

Old 11-13-2007, 04:26 PM

[quote=Nirvana-Guy;1988944]5. Oil. Americans are being stupid, because they allow the Democrats in Congress to stop oil from being drilled in ANWAR in Alaska. The US has enough oil in that 30 mile area to be 100% independent from oil-producing terrorist countries for 30 straight years.
QUOTE]

HAHHAAAAAAA LOL! Where the heck did you get that information!?! The fields we are pumping from now in Alaska were much bigger than what is left there. That production peaked a decade after we started and has been in decline since the mid 80's. Even if we did ope ANWAR up, it still wouldnt be enough to even offset the decline from the wells we are already pumping from.
* ( Basic geology shows that[An oil field produces increasing amounts until it is about half empty, then begins to decline, no matter how hard you pump. The harder you pump, the faster the field will die])*

Old 11-13-2007, 04:36 PM

26,309 posts, read 24,361,266 times
Extremely worried...

What do we produce in this country anymore?

What are we doing for jobs....?

Why don't we bring back the electric car and keep it here? I'd buy one...

We're broke...
We're allowing anyone and everyone in this country....
the value of the dollar is falling more and more?

I think I'll move to Canada...in the woods somewhere in a cabin with a dirt floor, and listen to the loons, cuz I've had all that I can stand of the loons here....LOL

Seriously...
it is a whole different America, and I'm really worried...changed way to fast....

Just my thoughts

Old 11-15-2007, 11:19 AM

99 posts, read 326,311 times
Default All the voters feeling effects of NWO

All these people know things aren't right here. We don't get the truth on
anything. Skytripper is right on page 4. Let's hope they don't succeed in
attacking us "again" before we have a chance to correct things.

Some of you are right about SOME REAL issues, others that are being discussed are the ones designed to mislead you. Call me a conspiracy theorist all you want. I am an intelligent, resourceful person, and I have seen and heard tons of proof to back this up. Anyone who opens their eyes, ears, and is willing to have the balls to face the truth will see the light.

HILLARY AND/OR OBAMA ARE DEFINATELY NOT THE ANSWER!!

They are all very crooked ! Best bet is Ron Paul. he wants to get rid of
the FED, and close the borders, two biggies to stopping the NWO. Unfortunately the powers that be probably won't let that happen no matter
what "we the people" want. We'll see. I could go on for days. Bottom line
people, do your own research. EVERYTHING on TV and in newspapers is being
spoonfed to you by design!!! Dan Rather stood up and told you that for god
sake. A 40 year veteran journalist sat right there and told you " YOU CANT
HAVE A DEMOCRACY WHERE GOVT AND BIG BUSINESS ARE STRONG ARMING THE NEWS ROOMS. The boys who really run things blew off the constitution
a long time ago.

PEOPLE NEED TO BE INFORMED, AND LET THE GOV KNOW WE WILL NOT TAKE IT. THEN BRING IT TO THEIR FRONT DOOR BEFORE STUFF HITS THE FAN!
PEOPLE ARE MORE AWARE THAN YOU THINK, I AM SEEING PROGRESS EVERYWHERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies