Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you Conservative or Liberal?
More Conservative 41 32.28%
More Liberal 47 37.01%
In the middle 28 22.05%
Neither/Not sure 11 8.66%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 03:00 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what you consider yourself to be. If you'd rather not comment, please vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 03:02 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Hard to vote when there's no poll

I'm socially do whatever the hell you want as long as it doesn't affect others, fiscally conservative and a dedicated non-interventionist

Old 07-19-2013, 03:02 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Hard to vote when there's no poll

I'm socially do whatever the hell you want as long as it doesn't affect others, fiscally conservative and a dedicated non-interventionist
Polls up now!

Old 07-19-2013, 03:03 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Liberal. I don't think you even need a poll, you can tell how someone leans just by reading their posts.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
When somebody tells me they are either Conservative or Liberal, I immediately begin looking for their lobotomy scars. For both approaches are so manifestly flawed, that I can't imagine a sapient being supporting either. For if either what passes for Conservatism or Liberalism were completely fulfilled, we'd have a bankrupt autocracy on our hands.

In essence, proudly saying, "I'm Liberal" or "I'm Conservative" is tantamount to saying, "I am a pathetic sheep following the herd. I am uninterested in actually using my own brain, instead swallowing whatever bullet points have been handed me by the politicians I like. Instead of actually putting together a coherent world view based on a steady reading of divergent views, I'll instead choose a particular narrative and spend the rest of my life wallowing in confirmation bias, cherry picking whatever facts fit my predetermined world view."

Old 07-19-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Polls up now!
Too few choices.

As I've said, socially, I'm do what you want if it's not affecting others but fiscally conservative and dedicated to non-intervention.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:11 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
It always amuses me when people who consider themselves "independent" react so condescending to those who consider themselves either liberal or conservative. Guess what? I'm a liberal because I am, plain & simple. I don't identify with any conservatives views, well maybe a couple, but by & large I identify with liberal views. Why would I consider myself anything other than liberal? Simply because I am a liberal does not mean that I do not use my brain. That's a limited view of people right there with that statement.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
It always amuses me when people who consider themselves "independent" react so condescending to those who consider themselves either liberal or conservative. Guess what? I'm a liberal because I am, plain & simple. I don't identify with any conservatives views, well maybe a couple, but by & large I identify with liberal views. Why would I consider myself anything other than liberal? Simply because I am a liberal does not mean that I do not use my brain. That's a limited view of people right there with that statement.
I'm registered unaffiliated because like that great Marxist Groucho said, " I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

Old 07-19-2013, 03:18 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Typically because they deserve condescension. It's astonishingly easy to argue circles around both camps, chiefly because they never read anything that doesn't already agree with them. Because a liberal or a conservative does not understand nuance. They just start spewing out their favorite memes, making it child's play to dispute them.

When I do, you know what rebuttal I hear almost 100% of the time? "Well, the Republicans...." or "Yeah, but the Democrats..." In other words, they don't even know how to defend their own ideals, because they don't really have a command of the underlying principles of whatever they're arguing.

Just the other week, I listened to a liberal yap on and on about Wall Street was the absolute villain in the mortgage crisis. As someone who has dealt a lot in the financial sector and as someone who cashed out in real estate in 2006 because I knew the crash was coming, I just made the mild assertion that the meltdown in 2008 was a perfect example of a public/private sector partnership. After all, the government gutted underwriting requirements in the 90s in order to spur homeownership while the banking industry went along for the ride. Heck, in 2003-2004, I was watching the smart people begin to completely divest themselves of the mortgage business entirely. Why? Because the changes in government policy and some really greedy people on Wall Street combined to create an unsustainable mess. But to hear the guy I was discussing this with, government had zip to do with the crash. If I had the same conversation, it would have been all the government's fault. That's the kind of idiotic Manichean universe liberal and conservative dolts inhabit.

Last edited by cpg35223; 07-19-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 03:19 PM

4 posts, read 4,047 times
Quote:
I have seen your posts..... KARFAR.......and you are more along the lines of an authoritarian, much like most self proclaimed Liberals these days

I think the guy earlier was correct about this herd mentality involving dumb labels... "Liberal" "Conservative"

Why do people today try so hard to draw attention to themselves? Just believe what you believe and stop trying to impress people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies