Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 09:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Trayvon couldnt of ever been him. He was privileged as much as any white person. yet come out and makes a statement to pander to the race baiters and black community. Screw him. This guy does nothing but divide.

And how many times does it have to be said. THIS CASE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE!!!!!!!!!!! My God, this man didnt even watch the trial but has to comment.
About half the country believes that this case was all about race. Just saying it isn't, does not make it so.

I believe that Zimmerman was guilty of manslaughter. Or should have been if the stand your ground law had not been in effect. This murder, this encounter should never have happened, IMO.

I believe President Obama took this personally, because he has experienced to a lesser degree the same sort of profiling behavior. And because he worries about the fate of the young Black generation.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:23 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh no, have you ever seen such animosity and such vile and racists comments toward any other dem president. I can understand if they have been if office for awhile and they don't like his politics. But this started from the day he was elected and he hadn't even enacted any policies
Old and white America are less racist when a minority isn't as successful or educated as them it seems.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:25 PM

515 posts, read 624,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
That's not true.

German Jews looked down upon Russian born and raised Jews the way the Scots-Irish looked down upon the Irish. Basically, Western European Jews did not care for Eastern European Jews. The former much preferred the company--and closer identification--with gentile Western Europeans and mainstream, middle-class American whites.

Some Jews were ideological sympathizers of the Nazis in the beginning, until it became clear to them that Nazis were going to kill and exterminate Jews. The Jewish founders of Israel had some questionable association with Jews as well.

In the nation-state of Israel their have been some accusations of racism against Ethiopian Jews in the country. While essentially a converted people, over some thousands of years ago, it's worthwhile distinguish "Hebrew" from "Jewish." The a pagan can be the former and the latter can be of non-ethnic Hebrew ancestry.

Just wanted point that out.
"Looked down upon", "did not care for", "much preferred the company", "ideological sympathizers". If only black on black crime was so gentile.

What you have highlighted in no way compares to the hundreds of years of Black Africans raping, killing, beheading and making slaves of fellow Black Africans. It still goes on to this day in Africa and the lack of unification amoung US blacks and the ongoing crimes against each other: gang killings, robbery, males impregnating and not marrying or supporting black mothers, dealing drugs within their own communities to black community members, etc..

If only blacks would just "look down upon" other blacks instead.

Who is the greater evil? Your white neighbor who may be slow to give a hand out or a hand up or your fellow black neighbor who is willing to cut your hand off to help his own?

Old 07-19-2013, 09:26 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
"Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago".

Well...technically he was like you. Skipping school, selling drugs, the whole shebang
All the while becoming more educated and successful than you. That is some serious talent and ability he has.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:26 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
I still want to know if Black women hold their purses tighter when a Black man gets on the elevator or is it only white women ?

Obama was not real clear on that.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:27 PM

662 posts, read 1,049,008 times
I'm so glad he brought this up. I've dealt with the purse clutching before (I remeber thinking, lady, my family makes 6-figures a year...why would I need to steel for the likes of you in a discount store?). People don't look at the reality of race relations here.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
All the while becoming more educated and successful than you. That is some serious talent and ability he has.
This is what I'm saying. Redemption.

I think what Obama is truly trying to say is that "stop profiling people because you think they are 'criminal'". Those assumptions can be very dangerous. You're not looking at the entire human being/spectrum if you do that.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:34 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You know, you are exactly right. They hated him from day 1
I think that the poster you are agreeing with here, and yourself, are slinging a wide brush. I am right of center, certainly, and I dislike Obamas style, his policies and whole general demeanor. However, "hate" is way to strong a term cor my likings.

The people I actually hate, in this world, are easily counted on one hand. I don't feel this way about them because of their race. They did me serious wrong, and serious harm. By doing someone I love more than my own life serious harm. In this vein, I could teach a thing or two about hate.

Don't mistake vehement disagreement for "hate". I KNOW i don't "hate" Barrack Obama. I seriously doubt I could ever be best pal with tbe guy. But it's not really personal. Hatred is DAMN personal! The emotion scares me.

I , still, catch myself using the word out of context. But, its a mistake I make a concious effort to avoid. Right of center views and "conservative" values do not, by rote, make a hateful person. By that same logic, left of center views and "liberal" values don't denote hatred either. In either case, there certainly are hateful people. See it a lot on here. In my case, however, "hatred" is reserved for some rather....special...people. Not something I think about on a constant basis. True hatred, well, it will burn you up.

Maybe, I'm preaching to the choir here, or maybe you have that fire burning. I don't know you. But, there's a small look at me, for you to ponder. Right of center, non Obama voter (not a republican) and I sure ain't all about "hate".

Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk2010 View Post
I don't understand your last point. For a black male, chances are they've been profiled at a store, in an elevator, etc, at some point in their life. It doesn't matter how he looks or dresses. This is a sad reality.

As to not having to tie in a personal bond, that goes back to the issue I raised about the inability of AA males and Obama to relate. I think it was imperative that he include the fact that he, like many AA, was also a victim of being profiled. At least for me, when someone speaks on an issue, it carries more weight when they've had personal experience.

As to his son looking like TM, like I mentioned before, most AA males get profiled and go through similar, non-fatal, encounters like TM experienced. I'm a law graduate, and I've been profiled myself. He's simply trying to illustrate that his son, if he had one, would have faced the same situation that many other AA males face. And when you think about that as a father, it's troublesome. I don't really care much for this particular comment he made, but I understand why he made it.
Same here.

I think he's trying to unify the bridge that 'it happens to all black people'. It's more of a clear message, than some of the BS I hear on this forum: "Maybe if Trayvon just dressed better". NO. As a black person, you get profiled regardless of how great you are. You can become a billionaire, but still get profiled because you 'don't belong'.

It's a wakeup call message IMO. You can't judge by appearances.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,275 times
The political and social health of this country has significantly worsened since Obama has taken office.

His speech did not help matters today. He is not a uniter, but rather a divider. His ideologies are toxic to the health of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies