Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:17 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Seems like my thread has been hijacked, but anyways, I'm just looking for way to benefit depressed city economics with our existing budget. I'm not positive if the military has its own construction workers, or would new construction jobs come along with opening new bases but nonethless there would be an increase in jobs in each area. My idea maybe radical, but nonethless the military could build more bases domestically in certain cities to benefit their economies more.

Conservatives love the military, why should it be kept abroad as often as it is when it could be benefitting us back at home a bit more, that's all I'm really saying. If we had it my way, the military budget would probably be at $400 billion annually, while finding ways to spend the $300 billion that would create PERMANENT jobs or at least benefit our economy in the long run. Maybe a few Manhattan Projects but in a more positive scope, working with the private sector to create more nuclear facilities and green energy options, building new highways specifically designed to link ports as opposed to highways to nowhere, and etc. I just want our existing budget to be spent a bit wiser, we honestly need a "Efficiency Movement" because with a budget approaching $4 trillion annually, our economy should be booming.
the reasoning for having military personal stationed overseas is to have a rapid response to a crisis...as well as a deterrent to hostile acts towards the host nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 09:17 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Yup. Military bases and federal government spending is the sole reason certain red states like Texas and South Carolina are staying afloat.
I wouldn't say an entire state aside from say Virginia and Maryland depend completely on federal spending to stay afloat but nonetheless certain cities would be nothing without their military presence. I'm simply proposing to boost other cities economies, the military could create more bases domestically and bring a few troops home so they can benefit our economy, a few thousand troops per depressed economy could be a true economic boom for them rather it's higher-sales, more construction jobs, higher tax revenues, and etc.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:21 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Yup. Military bases and federal government spending is the sole reason certain red states like Texas and South Carolina are staying afloat.
Not to mention Iraq and Afghanistan, and derivatively, Washington, D.C.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Federal government spending is the only reason most blue cities in the north are afloat too. They're getting the Obamabucks printed money effect. For now.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:14 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
I was reading a post earlier on a thread that slips my mind, but essentially people were saying certain city economies stay afloat because of defense spending and bases. Well what would you all think of closing just about all foreign bases, and opening more in the USA to actually protect us? To a degree it 'might' boost the economy of cities that aren't doing that well. The only reason I propose this for is because our military budget will never face the reductions I deem feasible, therefore if we must spend that $700 billion annually, lets at least spend $650 billion of that domestically.
Or they could actually cut things they should cut?

It appears when they need to cut, they turn to cutting troops first.

What about the wanton waste?

F-35 program anyone?

Senators telling them to buy more tanks when they don't want them?

Navy having to buy boats they don't want?

Militaries problem with spending is healthcare, special interests, and wasteful spending on poorly managed/unneeded programs. They can cut stuff, they just refuse to make cuts where they should make cuts.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What a great idea the OP has, open a few Marine and Army bases in and around Detroit, new money will flow in and crime will drop radically...
Yes. There is a very big military base in El Paso TX which is ranked as the safest city in the world and is growing at a tremendously fast rate --- billions of dollars are pouring in, jobs are everywhere. The military brings in a whole lot of federal money and jobs.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:54 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Or they could actually cut things they should cut?

It appears when they need to cut, they turn to cutting troops first.

What about the wanton waste?

F-35 program anyone?

Senators telling them to buy more tanks when they don't want them?

Navy having to buy boats they don't want?

Militaries problem with spending is healthcare, special interests, and wasteful spending on poorly managed/unneeded programs. They can cut stuff, they just refuse to make cuts where they should make cuts.
I would like to make cuts as evident in my prior post, only thing is our budget will not be cut therefore I believe the US should bring some troops home to let those troops benefit the economy of depressed cities. If more bases are built in depressed regions, at least the military industrial complex would actually be benefiting certain cities a bit more because right now our troops abroad are benefiting the economies of other countries, when they could be here benefiting us a bit more. Look at VA, MD, and DC, our economies have remained quite well from federal spending, and contractors, we could at least try to spread that around a little more.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:03 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes. There is a very big military base in El Paso TX which is ranked as the safest city in the world and is growing at a tremendously fast rate --- billions of dollars are pouring in, jobs are everywhere. The military brings in a whole lot of federal money and jobs.
Safest city in the world? It doesn't crack the top 15 safest cities globally or the top 10 in the USA.

TOP 15 SAFEST CITIES IN THE WORLD

Top 10 US Safest Cities to Live 2013 - Top Tens Tips

Old 07-20-2013, 11:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Safest city in the world? It doesn't crack the top 15 safest cities globally or the top 10 in the USA.

TOP 15 SAFEST CITIES IN THE WORLD

Top 10 US Safest Cities to Live 2013 - Top Tens Tips
But it is. Very low homicide rate.

I think one reason is the very large military base here --- and tons of jobs created from it, tons of federal dollars pouring into the city. Everywhere you look there are help wanted signs and construction going on.

El Paso ranked safest large city in U.S. for 3rd straight year - El Paso Times

El Paso ranked safest large city in U.S. for 3rd straight year

El Paso has been in the top three large cities with the lowest crime rates since 1997.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:11 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
I would like to make cuts as evident in my prior post, only thing is our budget will not be cut therefore I believe the US should bring some troops home to let those troops benefit the economy of depressed cities. If more bases are built in depressed regions, at least the military industrial complex would actually be benefiting certain cities a bit more because right now our troops abroad are benefiting the economies of other countries, when they could be here benefiting us a bit more. Look at VA, MD, and DC, our economies have remained quite well from federal spending, and contractors, we could at least try to spread that around a little more.
If a city is dying, its inhabitants should move to where the opportunities are. Artificially proping up areas with government jobs programs is unsustainible and a morally incorrect solution.
Detroits heyday as an automaker is over. Move on, and if there is a rebound of sorts it should be driven by investors using private capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies