Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,241,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, those are exactly the same as signing a pledge not to sneak snack foods on a trip.
You got my point.

Quote:
People are acting like she was held back from graduation or something major, it was a 6th grade trip, for goodness' sake.
Seems to me it was gigantic over reaction, and a huge economic burden on the mother considering we're talking about a 2 quid chocolate bar.

Salient quotes, in case you didn't quite garner them from the article:
  • "Her school’s headmistress found out about the confectionery crime only by snooping on a private letter that Holli McCann had written to her mother."
  • "Teachers ransacked Holli’s room and went through her things."
  • "They even removed the lining of her suitcase."
  • "Holli’s mother Kerri McCann had to borrow money in order to make the 160-mile trip to the Isle of White to pick up her daughter."
  • "is unemployed and must care for her autistic son"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:49 PM

50,674 posts, read 36,379,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
You got my point.

Seems to me it was gigantic over reaction, and a huge economic burden on the mother considering we're talking about a 2 quid chocolate bar.

Salient quotes, in case you didn't quite garner them from the article:
  • "Her school’s headmistress found out about the confectionery crime only by snooping on a private letter that Holli McCann had written to her mother."
  • "Teachers ransacked Holli’s room and went through her things."
  • "They even removed the lining of her suitcase."
  • "Holli’s mother Kerri McCann had to borrow money in order to make the 160-mile trip to the Isle of White to pick up her daughter."
  • "is unemployed and must care for her autistic son"
That stuff is awful, and I can't defend it. Most people here were talking about the chocolate bar "rule" and how it was stupid and she should be allowed to break the rule because the rule was stupid (and apparently attributable to liberals for some reason), and those were the posts I was responding to. I am curious what all the facts will reveal.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:58 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,839,210 times
I don't understand why liberals now suddenly hate regulations?

Old 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM

50,674 posts, read 36,379,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't understand why liberals now suddenly hate regulations?
We don't - the people complaining about this on here are conservatives, calling this "another stupid liberal rule" because they equate teachers with liberalism. Never mind it's not even the U.S.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,265,777 times
Quote:
Yes, those are exactly the same as signing a pledge not to sneak snack foods on a trip.

Look, no doubt the punishment is harsh, but yes, I do believe an 11 year old is capable of keeping her word - every other kid on the trip DID. I think it's fine for a kid to have consequences for breaking rules, and it's not up to us to say what one school in another country should have as a consequence.

People are acting like she was held back from graduation or something major, it was a 6th grade trip, for goodness' sake.
So if it were what you consider "major", would you feel differently?..How do you know "every other kid on the trip did", maybe they just hid it better, or maybe their rooms weren't searched, and their privacy invaded. They are entitled to privacy aren't they? If they're held as being responsible enough to sign a "pledge", then they should be shown at least a LITTLE respect from the teachers, don't you think?..the punishment should have been no more than maybe missing an activity...not the whole trip, which IS a big deal to an 11 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies