Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 01:07 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

6.2% of the population is not that far behind 6.7% of the population.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:09 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
6.2% of the population is not that far behind 6.7% of the population.
A difference of 1.1 million isn't even remotely close to involving numbers in close proximity.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
A difference of 1.1 million isn't even remotely close to involving numbers in close proximity.
You can't be serious. It's percentage of population that matters. TX consists of a much larger population, thus the 1.1 million has little aggregate impact. So have a percentage more of the TX population is illegal... but they rank near bottom in education while NJ ranks near top. You can't blame illegal immigrants.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Really, do you just make this chit up or what. So far, I've heard of two groups investigating. Gerstlauer Amusement Rides (Munsterhausen, Germany) and the Texas Department of Insurance.
Gerstlauer is the manufacturer and their inspector, Tobias Lindnar, has already said "I'm sure there's no safety bar that is broken". Lindnar wouldn't address the hydraulic bar's operation or whether park employees should be able to determine if a person's body is too close to the front of the train car to prevent the bar from being effective.

The Texas Department of Insurance is not "investigating". Their role ends at checking that the park has the required liability insurance.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/woman...r-death-probed

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...th-itself?lite
The investigation of the death of a woman on a roller coaster at Six Flags Over Texas will be led by Six Flags itself, because there's no state or federal agency responsible for enforcing the safety of amusement parks.
Six Flags initially said in a statement that it was "working with authorities" to figure out what happened. But it later had to admit that it was running the investigation itself because there are no authorities to work with.
No federal agency has legal authority to enforce safety standards. And Texas is one of at least 17 states that have no agency responsible for inspecting amusement park rides, according to NBC News' survey of state codes in all 50 states.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:18 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Whatever floats your boat. It's the same thing.
You made it seem like you owned the company & had another office here.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You made it seem like you owned the company & had another office here.
I do own the company and I do have another office there. I work for the company I own. It's not rocket science.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:39 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
I agree. Considering that NJ has almost as many illegal immigrants as TX, it's quite astonishing how large the difference in education is. Especially considering that TX has the highest state export of any state.
Illegal immigrant/population
TX: 1,770,000/26,060,000 = 6.8%
NJ: 370,000/8,865,000 = 4.2%

Immigration Statistics: Map of Illegal Immigrants by States

Quote:
You can't be serious. It's percentage of population that matters. TX consists of a much larger population, thus the 1.1 million has little aggregate impact. So have a percentage more of the TX population is illegal... but they rank near bottom in education while NJ ranks near top. You can't blame illegal immigrants.
TX is ranked 79.4 and NJ is ranked 80.8. CA, another majority minority state, is actually below below TX rankings. One of the TX posters linked a report that broke down achievement by race and white students in TX performed as well as white students in MA. I can't find the report though, so I have no idea how accurate it was.

Education Week: Quality Counts 2013 - State Report Cards

Old 07-22-2013, 01:48 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Not long after a chemical factory exploded, a woman has apparently flown out of a roller coaster in Texas and died:

Police: No foul play seen in Texas roller coaster death - CNN.com

It appears the land of enchantment, where businesses can run free with zero government oversight, is having a negative effect on the people who live there.
Pardon me for saying, but you, sir, are an utter fool.

I can't imagine the sorrow that Mrs. Esparza's family must be going through at this very moment, but I think you are trying to imply that a connection exists between a horrific accident at an amusement park on a 23 year old roller coaster and the political environment of the State of Texas.

Would you care to re-word your argument? Perhaps take it all back and erase this drivel from the annals of the internet? No? Really? Then you may actually embody the phrase "too stupid for words".

Old 07-22-2013, 02:18 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Not long after a chemical factory exploded, a woman has apparently flown out of a roller coaster in Texas and died:

[URL="http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/20/us/texas-roller-coaster-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t1"]Police: No foul play seen in Texas roller coaster death - CNN.com[/URL]

It appears the land of enchantment, where businesses can run free with zero government oversight, is having a negative effect on the people who live there.
You have no idea about that which you babble about. None, whatsoever.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:33 AM

50,781 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's like elevators that have a weight limit. Chairs have a weight limit, ladders are sold with a weight limit ---- but if you choose to ignore the weight limit, how can you sue?

I went to the Six Flags in San Antonio and there were people trying to get on rides that couldn't squeeze themselves into the cart and had to walk back down. The minimum wage type employees aren't given scales to weigh them, but there are people who would be too big for the harnasses I'm sure.

The sad thing is that it doesn't seem that she was being one of those idiots you sometimes see at amusement parks who deserve to fall.
There was no sign designating a weight limit. This came from a poster several pages back who is assuming the woman's weight may have had something to do with the accident, and it continued from there, but there was no sign with any weight limit at the ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies