Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What major City is the closest that COULD possibly follow in the footsteps of Detroit's fate?
Baltimore 8 4.91%
Memphis 15 9.20%
Philadelphia 9 5.52%
Hartford Conneticaut 1 0.61%
Trenton 2 1.23%
Jersey City 0 0%
Birmingham 9 5.52%
Chicago 33 20.25%
Atlanta 15 9.20%
Miami 1 0.61%
Boston 0 0%
New Orleans 7 4.29%
Camden,New Jersey 35 21.47%
Jacksonville ,Florida 1 0.61%
Knoxville,Tennesee 2 1.23%
Little Rock ,Arkansas 1 0.61%
Other 24 14.72%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:10 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Jackson Mississippi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Probably true. It does feel like a mini Detroit there.
Feels more like a mini-Memphis to me, but at any rate, I don't see it happening. It's the state capital which is probably the biggest reason that won't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 11:12 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I know Connecticut is a tough name to spell, but come on...you butchered it in the voting polls of all places.

I voted other. No other city in the United States is as heavily reliant on a single economic sector as Detroit was.

No other city will see the same degradation and decay that Detroit saw. The city that most closy mimicked it but is now making a hell of a comeback is Cleveland.
Typo.Sorry.
I diagree.Have you ever been to Camden NJ?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
my 1st thought when reading this thread was Buffalo, NY. with the loss of manufacturing jobs and Kodak, and glancing at the population they've lost 30,000 people since 2000 thats significant.

I hope i'm wrong because its a nice city
Forgot about Buffalo.That would be a feasible candidate for sure.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
I applaud those efforts you mentioned, but they are pretty minor. The Atlanta Beltline is not designed for mass transit. The MARTA is very far from comprehensive. Atlanta and Kansas City remain just as car-dependent as Detroit. The cities I mentioned are gaining population because of jobs, not urban planning projects. Investment in infrastructure has occurred only recently. In some places, like Austin, the response to growth has been incredibly slow. I'm not sure the minimal investment in infrastructure can be sustained in many of these places, since they are in conservative states where people are hostile to government-subsidized projects, especially now.
The lion's share of any city's growth has always been about jobs. Very few people move to an entirely new metro area solely due to urban planning projects.

And insufficient investment in infrastructure is more reflective of national policies than local ones, IMO. No completely new HRT systems can realistically be built because the feds no longer have an appetite to fund their construction as they once did. The most we are seeing is LRT and streetcars, which is what the Beltline will be.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:35 PM

225 posts, read 352,315 times
Why Jersey City is on here, I have no idea. It is quickly becoming like the nice parts of Brooklyn in terms of price and its economy is much more diversified than Detroit's. Jersey City is seeing private development on par with many cities much larger than itself.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montycench View Post
Why Jersey City is on here, I have no idea. It is quickly becoming like the nice parts of Brooklyn in terms of price and its economy is much more diversified than Detroit's. Jersey City is seeing private development on par with many cities much larger than itself.

Lots of the cities on that list should not be there. Boston, Little Rock, Knoxville, Atlanta all stand out as being no where near failing. In fact people still move to towns like that because they are seen as desirable. Like I stated before even the tougher cities on that list like New Orleans or Memphis are charmed cities compared to Detroit. Places like Detroit do not exist in the rest of North America. One has look to the third world to see the kind of problems found in Detroit.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,000 times
The sentiments here are analogous to the person who has kidney, heart, or lung disease; and still believes that they are NOT sick, despite having a disease.

If Detroit is sick, the United States of America is sick. Everybody in the U.S. should be concerned about the dying cities of America.

Go on, continue to behave as this is a "them" as opposed to an "us" problem.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:59 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Assuming New Orleans's main income in property taxes as it is for cities and towns in New England

New Orleans's growth is 100% due to depressed levels following Katrina, also The city itself is full of poverty, this lends itself to low tax income, Im not saying the people of New Orleans are bad, but they sure are not as weathly, on average as a Bostonian or an Atlantan. The biggest land owners in town by far, the Port of New Orleans is tax-exempt, so the city seems most likely to run into Problems.
I'm not sure why you think growth is so tied to Katrina, I can assure you it is not.
No one is comparing it to Boston or Atlanta.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Lots of the cities on that list should not be there. Boston, Little Rock, Knoxville, Atlanta all stand out as being no where near failing. In fact people still move to towns like that because they are seen as desirable. Like I stated before even the tougher cities on that list like New Orleans or Memphis are charmed cities compared to Detroit. Places like Detroit do not exist in the rest of North America. One has look to the third world to see the kind of problems found in Detroit.
I agree with you that many of the choices should not be serious candidates for the answer to the question. .However I asked people opinion.Even though I strongly disagree with many of the results for some cities,I had to give choices to make it interesting.

As I have said earlier though,there are more examples than you think.
Detroit is not unique.In the eighties NYC came within hours of going bankrupt.If NYC could have come close TWICE in its history,then so could many other cities.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 AM

109 posts, read 200,239 times
For "Major" cities I don't think we'll see another Detroit. Though I do know Chicago and Baltimore are both facing enormous municipal financial restructurings from everything from pension debt to city budget shortfalls in general, but unlike Detroit I think they have the ability to master their debt (even if it will be painful) as they are not losing population akin to Detroit's downfall.

Outside of that there are actually two cities (not major) that I think have a better chance than not of facing bankruptcy. One is listed (and "winning" in this poll) Camden, NJ, while the other isn't listed" East St. Louis. See Google images of it and it looks like Detroit without the good downtown.

Last edited by CLTMark; 07-22-2013 at 05:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies